OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 04:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incense  (Read 1182 times) Average Rating: 0
liftsifter
Saint David the King

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Orthodoxy, although I was baptized as a baby into the Antiochian Orthodox Church, I did not discover my faith until November 2011. I have taken a liking to incense/frankincense and was wondering if anyone knows what type of incense is used during traditional service in Antiochian Orthodox churches.

Greetings from St. George, Cicero (Our Lady of Cicero).

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:58:28 AM »

Oh I love it when a cradle says what you said!! its so beautiful! Glory be to God! I don't know about the type of incense but am sure you will have your answer here from someone soon, in the mean time Welcome to the Forum!  Grin angel

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:06 AM »

Welcome!   Smiley

liftsifter
Saint David the King

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »

Thank you for the welcomes!  Smiley

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »

I was surprised when recently I noticed a Greek origin Carrefour brand of nice incense.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »

I was surprised when recently I noticed a Greek origin Carrefour brand of nice incense.

Carrefour had incense? I wished I had looked for it over there, probably would have been cheaper than here in the U.S..
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Orthodoxy, although I was baptized as a baby into the Antiochian Orthodox Church, I did not discover my faith until November 2011. I have taken a liking to incense/frankincense and was wondering if anyone knows what type of incense is used during traditional service in Antiochian Orthodox churches.

Greetings from St. George, Cicero (Our Lady of Cicero).

Welcome!

A good source of incense is Holy Cross Hermitage:
https://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?listcategories
Their charcoal is also good quality.

The more affordable incense is Somalian or Ethiopian. Ethiopian is the cheapest in terms of cost. Somalian and Ethiopian is what you could call the "basic" incense. It has no real extra additives and is the basic gum from the trees.

What you'll want to do if you can afford it, is you can buy the basic incense like Somalian or Ethiopian. 1/2 lb or 1 lb would do fine. Then buy a smaller amount of one of the other varieties (like Byzantine, Constantinople, Myrrh or Rose) at about 1 ounce or 1/2 lb.

Then mix the incense in a larger container. In church we use a larger bowl for this and then usually place a few spoonfuls of incense into the incense boat (this usually sits on top of the censer stand) so it is ready for the service.

The "other" varieties of incense like the previously mentioned Byzantine or Rose usually are the basic frankincense with a sweet-smelling resin of various scents added. When you burn this incense, usually the resin melts off and can temporarily form a black, solid substance on top of the coal. Too much of this kind of incense can snuff out the coal, wasting both your incense and your coal. This is the reason why, at a couple of the churches I've been to, we mix the basic incense (like Somalian) with the resin incense (like Byzantine). We try for a ratio of about 1:3 (Resin vs. Base) which allows the nice smelling incense to burn without snuffing out the coal. This is also the most economical because the resin-based incense is more expensive in bulk and you can preserve it longer by mixing it.

Another thing we've done in church is switched our resin-based incense at various times to give some variety. During Lent we had the Somalian incense mixed with Myrrh. Then on Pascha we had almost a cascade of scents with Byzantine and Bulgarian Rose among several others.

Also, there is a difference between Roman Catholic incense and Orthodox incense. Historically and even today, Roman Catholic incense imported from Somalia or Ethiopia was ground into a fine powder and then mixed with sawdust. This produces a lot more smoke than typical Orthodox incense and some people have found it to be more irritating their their allergies. I've also found some of the solid Roman Catholic incense to have sawdust mixed in with it, making it a little more harsh.

Sorry if I've been a little lengthy with this. Basically if you want to burn Orthodox incense, you'll need charcoal and the solid gum incense. You can buy both from Holy Cross Hermitage:
https://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?listcategories
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

For those curious, here is a photo I took at my previous church. The typical Orthodox incense is in the bowl and it has the Somalian incense mixed with 3-4 other varieties. The powder in the box was some Western incense that was donated to the parish, it is the kind that has been ground up and has some sawdust mixed in (and seems to bother parishioner's allergies more than the other kinds).

We also had some western incense donated to us at my current parish but it is in a more solid form, but still contains some sawdust and other substances.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:35:54 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags: incense  frankincense  bakhour 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: