Author Topic: My Spiritual Father charged with child molestation  (Read 21862 times)

Offline Michael36

My Spiritual Father charged with child molestation
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »
Forgive me brothers and sisters, I know things like these need to be rooted out and brought to light, lest we become like the Roman Church, but at the same time I hate to bring this to light because of what this offense does to the faithful. Anyways, I need advice, council, help; whatever and my old Church certainly needs your prayers.

I received a text from a friend who attends the Church in which I was brought into the Orthodox faith asking me if I was alright. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I pressed her and she sent me a link to the local news website. My Spiritual Father, who I have learned much from, who has been nothing but kind to me, whom I love dearly has been charged with multiple counts of child molestation. These aren't just accusations, there is evidence and people came forward, people I know and love who were victims.

Before I go on, I must emphatically say that this is an amazing Church. I love everyone there, there is a miracle working icon, it is very missionary and has brought a good number of people into the faith, two people from there intimately knew St. John Maximovich (one is reposed now) and until today I would have said the Priest was one of the best.

I'm still reeling from this, I don't think my faith is shaken; this will never outweigh the beauty of that family, but I fear it is all ruined now. There are converts not yet grounded in the faith, cradle Orthodox who are only nominally Orthodox, and people I know and love who have been mistreated since they were 13, and it was all my Spiritual Father. I feel no malice toward him, I only have this gnawing fear for his soul and the people he has caused offense to. Christ said, "It would be better for him for a millstone to be tied around his neck and be cast into the sea". God help them all..

What can I do but pray? I want to run to every person offended, every victim and help somehow that they not be embittered to the Church.

I would appreciate everyones' prayers. This is a dark time.

The peace and love of Christ be with all of you,
Mikha'el

Offline SDMPNS

• High Elder
  • Praise God for the beauty of Creation
Re: My Spiritual Father charged with child molestation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »
If it is the Parish I think it is Bishop Joseph has done the right thing, notified the authorities and is pressing forward to aid the victims... I'm sorry about this but never forget, Clergy are human,,keep your eye on Jesus Christ..I am sorry though..it must be a terrible shock and I will pray for you and your parish..but also remember the victims..

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »
I have never been in a situation like this; I've never known someone who has sexually abused others, let alone had a great deal of admiration for a man who sexually abused people I care about.  That said, I think - and please take this advice with a great helping of salt - that all you can really do, aside from praying if you feel like, is to be available to the people in the parish who you care about, and who you have a relationship with.  If you have contact for inquirers or catechumans, or whomever, and you see that they stop coming to Church, you could invite them to lunch.  All you can really do in this type of situation is show the love of Christ as best you know how.  The parishioners you are close to who were abused by him, I think it would be a bad idea to bring up the topic with, but if you are capable of hearing them discuss it, be available for them in case they want to.  Maybe invite them out one night, so that they know you're still there for them.

"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
I saw this on my news feed last night and was quite saddened.  This is very sad indeed, for everyone.  I have no advice other than to pray for everyone involved.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »
Dear Mikha'el,

All of us are shocked and depressed.  This was a serious betrayal.

What gives me hope is that we saw the Church act quickly and appropriately: the youth director immediately reported the situation, and the Church stepped up and not only contacted the police but deposed the man without hesitation.  I think you will see healing come quickly because of these steps.  The victims were given priority, and will continue to receive compassion from the Church.

As for the predator, we can only hope that he repents and receives the forgiveness he preached about.  It is tragic that he could not get out of the Church what he gave others, but I think this is less about him and more about the power of God and the truth of the Orthodox Faith.  The faith does not depend on the strength of us weak humans, because the truth is the truth no matter what.

I had a hard time sleeping last night because of this.  I saw this man only a few weeks ago, and it is hard to believe that this is the same person.  He's an Army vet and retired police officer... not categories you connect with such depravity.  Yet, I do not doubt the accusations for an instant, because I know the deacon there and I trust that Archbishop Joseph had the evidence.  His Eminence does not mess around in these situations.  Years ago, he told us in a deanery meeting (after another high-profile case came up in the news) that he would call the police if he suspected any of us were doing anything like this.  I remember it clearly because of how animated he became.  Yesterday, he proved that he was not kidding.

We all would do well to pray for the victims, the people of St. Timothy who have a long road to recovery ahead, and all those adversely affected by this situation.  I think that would include the abuser himself, who is now greatly shamed and humiliated, as this might give him the opportunity to repent now and prepare his conscience before he passes into Eternal Judgment as all of us will.

Forgive me brothers and sisters, I know things like these need to be rooted out and brought to light, lest we become like the Roman Church, but at the same time I hate to bring this to light because of what this offense does to the faithful. Anyways, I need advice, council, help; whatever and my old Church certainly needs your prayers.

I received a text from a friend who attends the Church in which I was brought into the Orthodox faith asking me if I was alright. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I pressed her and she sent me a link to the local news website. My Spiritual Father, who I have learned much from, who has been nothing but kind to me, whom I love dearly has been charged with multiple counts of child molestation. These aren't just accusations, there is evidence and people came forward, people I know and love who were victims.

Before I go on, I must emphatically say that this is an amazing Church. I love everyone there, there is a miracle working icon, it is very missionary and has brought a good number of people into the faith, two people from there intimately knew St. John Maximovich (one is reposed now) and until today I would have said the Priest was one of the best.

I'm still reeling from this, I don't think my faith is shaken; this will never outweigh the beauty of that family, but I fear it is all ruined now. There are converts not yet grounded in the faith, cradle Orthodox who are only nominally Orthodox, and people I know and love who have been mistreated since they were 13, and it was all my Spiritual Father. I feel no malice toward him, I only have this gnawing fear for his soul and the people he has caused offense to. Christ said, "It would be better for him for a millstone to be tied around his neck and be cast into the sea". God help them all..

What can I do but pray? I want to run to every person offended, every victim and help somehow that they not be embittered to the Church.

Mikha'el
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
I have nothing to add to the excellent advice given above, though I can say I am heartened to hear how swift and certain has been the churches response. So, I will add what I can , my prayers. Lord have mercy on Mikha'el and all the members of his former church and the community beyond who are effected by these matters.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline Nikolaostheservant

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
so very sad and discusting.
I guess my theory that we r all just human and subject to falling from grace is once again upheld. wish i were wrong on this but its been proven again and again.
Nomater what position or authority a person holds never assume you know what is in his/her mind. when no one is looking the true self comes out.
i will pray for the victims and this alleged perp.

anyone have a link to the news story?

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
here is an article:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Calif-pastor-arrested-for-child-molestation-3674375.php

Thank you Father for your words.  It is encouraging that this has been so siftly dealt with now that it has been exposed.

Offline Michael36

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Dear Mikha'el,

All of us are shocked and depressed.  This was a serious betrayal.

What gives me hope is that we saw the Church act quickly and appropriately: the youth director immediately reported the situation, and the Church stepped up and not only contacted the police but deposed the man without hesitation.  I think you will see healing come quickly because of these steps.  The victims were given priority, and will continue to receive compassion from the Church.

As for the predator, we can only hope that he repents and receives the forgiveness he preached about.  It is tragic that he could not get out of the Church what he gave others, but I think this is less about him and more about the power of God and the truth of the Orthodox Faith.  The faith does not depend on the strength of us weak humans, because the truth is the truth no matter what.

I had a hard time sleeping last night because of this.  I saw this man only a few weeks ago, and it is hard to believe that this is the same person.  He's an Army vet and retired police officer... not categories you connect with such depravity.  Yet, I do not doubt the accusations for an instant, because I know the deacon there and I trust that Archbishop Joseph had the evidence.  His Eminence does not mess around in these situations.  Years ago, he told us in a deanery meeting (after another high-profile case came up in the news) that he would call the police if he suspected any of us were doing anything like this.  I remember it clearly because of how animated he became.  Yesterday, he proved that he was not kidding.

We all would do well to pray for the victims, the people of St. Timothy who have a long road to recovery ahead, and all those adversely affected by this situation.  I think that would include the abuser himself, who is now greatly shamed and humiliated, as this might give him the opportunity to repent now and prepare his conscience before he passes into Eternal Judgment as all of us will.
Thank you Father, I truly am proud to call Archbishop Joseph my hierarch. I just can't fathom how he could live a double life like that. I find myself wondering, does he even believe in God? How could you enter the altar knowing you did that without literal fear and trembling? I only ever felt sincerity from the man, and he took sin very seriously.

God has preserved me from the worst of this, for some reason, in that I wasn't there to see the Church fall apart (I would trade places with any one of them; they deserve it more) and He has brought me to another beautiful Church with sincere lovers of Christ.

A friend posted something on Facebook that really cut to the heart of this issue and how to move forward:
"Believe to the end, even if all men went astray and you were left the only one faithful; bring your offering even then and praise God in your loneliness"- Fyodor Dostoevsky "The Brothers Karamazov"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:21:21 PM by Michael36 »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
Lord have mercy.  :( :'(
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
Lord have mercy.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
Lord have mercy!

Dear Mikha'el,

Habakkuk 3: 17-19

17Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

18Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

19The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

the Holy Spirit through the Prophet Habakkuk, entreats for those who love God to be steadfast in their Love and Faith in spite of losing everythingelse and everyone else they could perceive as being  true and doing what they are ordained and created to do, and instead have betrayed everything good that they naturally were supposed and expected to do.

the true disciple of Christ is one who continues to love the Lord and His Church in spite of what humans who were entrusted , invited, and appointed have done to themselves and others, thus ultimately what they have done to Christ. whether or not there are righteous men, whether or not, the entire world became apostate, whether or not the entire world became murderous and insane, whether or not bishops shepherd their flocks with love, whether or not, the servants have turned to wolves, whether or not the congregation has abandoned the fold, whether or not the fold is filled with wolves, in the absence of everythingelse good and comforting, the presence of everything evil in the place of where the good should have been, the true lover of God holds on to God regardless of whatever sort of victory the forces of darkness are declaring today.Remain in the Way, in the Truth,and in The Life.

May  the Holy Spirit,strengthen and heal your heart my brother and all those who grieve over this. Indeed we are reminded that we must remain faithful to the end  and keep our eyes on the Lord and not on frail man.

May the Lord bring healing to all those that have been victimised by this. May the man who was given the grace of being stopped and time for repentance use this time to repent and escape the darkness that holds him captive.

Most Holy Theotokos intercede for us.

Amen!
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
Ask Your Spiritual Father ! (AYSF)
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
Ask Seek a New Your Spiritual Father ! (AYSF)

Fixed it for you (FIFY) :)

Praying for you to find a good spiritual father.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:17:49 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Wish the bishop would have taken him on a boat trip and tied a millstone to his neck and cast him under.

This is why our lord taught us this.  These acts are sick and disgusting and tarnish Christianity to many people.  Look at what it has done to the RC church to many outsiders.

I'm sorry your priest did these things.  It can rock the faith of the congregation for sure.  Just remember that you belong to the body of the Orthodox church, which spans worldwide, far outside of your priest.   He betrayed. 

He hurt little kids.   As a parent, I have NO toleration for that.  I don't think there was any other sin the Lord mentioned people would be better off being put to death over.

Don't let it rock you.  Pray, and know that centuries upon centuries of good priests and clergy were part of the church.   
I have been in your shoes before.   

We knew a priest (OCA) who had this charge put on him for molesting boys.  The OCA booted him out after he fled to Italy while the legal process was working a full case against him.  It's disgusting.   
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Mikha'el
What good experiences you had with him think of as the good that was in him, and pray about the darkness that was in him and those who suffered because of it, and thank God you were not among them.

If it is as certain as it is made out to be, thank God for Archbishop Joseph!  Many years!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Zenovia

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
Dear Mikha'el,

What gives me hope is that we saw the Church act quickly and appropriately: the youth director immediately reported the situation, and the Church stepped up and not only contacted the police but deposed the man without hesitation.  I think you will see healing come quickly because of these steps.  The victims were given priority, and will continue to receive compassion from the Church.

As for the predator, we can only hope that he repents and receives the forgiveness he preached about.  It is tragic that he could not get out of the Church what he gave others, but I think this is less about him and more about the power of God and the truth of the Orthodox Faith.  The faith does not depend on the strength of us weak humans, because the truth is the truth no matter what.

I had a hard time sleeping last night because of this.  I saw this man only a few weeks ago, and it is hard to believe that this is the same person.  He's an Army vet and retired police officer... not categories you connect with such depravity.  Yet, I do not doubt the accusations for an instant, because I know the deacon there and I trust that Archbishop Joseph had the evidence.  His Eminence does not mess around in these situations.  Years ago, he told us in a deanery meeting (after another high-profile case came up in the news) that he would call the police if he suspected any of us were doing anything like this.  I remember it clearly because of how animated he became.  Yesterday, he proved that he was not kidding.

We all would do well to pray for the victims, the people of St. Timothy who have a long road to recovery ahead, and all those adversely affected by this situation.  I think that would include the abuser himself, who is now greatly shamed and humiliated, as this might give him the opportunity to repent now and prepare his conscience before he passes into Eternal Judgment as all of us will.
Thank you Father, I truly am proud to call Archbishop Joseph my hierarch. I just can't fathom how he could live a double life like that. I find myself wondering, does he even believe in God? How could you enter the altar knowing you did that without literal fear and trembling? I only ever felt sincerity from the man, and he took sin very seriously.

God has preserved me from the worst of this, for some reason, in that I wasn't there to see the Church fall apart (I would trade places with any one of them; they deserve it more) and He has brought me to another beautiful Church with sincere lovers of Christ.

A friend posted something on Facebook that really cut to the heart of this issue and how to move forward:
"Believe to the end, even if all men went astray and you were left the only one faithful; bring your offering even then and praise God in your loneliness"- Fyodor Dostoevsky "The Brothers Karamazov"

The one thing we seem to discard now a days, is that of demonic possession.  In all cases such as this, as well as the murders of innocents, it's the first thing that comes into my mind.   :(

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
Dear Mikha'el,

The one thing we seem to discard now a days, is that of demonic possession.  In all cases such as this, as well as the murders of innocents, it's the first thing that comes into my mind.   :(
The Devil made me do it: did that work for Eve?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
Wish the bishop would have taken him on a boat trip and tied a millstone to his neck and cast him under.
Funny how the most vocal advocates for Christianity and against heresy on this forum are also among the first to make the anti-Christian call for someone's death when he molests little children. ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:52:38 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »

And the bishop then would be a murderer. And you think this is a good response!?  Shame on you for even writing this here on a thread for someone who is genuinely upset over this.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
Dear Mikha'el,

What do you know of child molestation and demon possession, Zenovia?

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
Funny how the most vocal advocates for Christianity and against heresy on this forum are also among the first to make the anti-Christian call for someone's death when he molests little children. ::)

You rang?  Murder is a no-no, not Capital Punishment.  Let the attacks on me begin!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:58:03 PM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
You rang?  Murder is a no-no, not Capital Punishment.  Let the attacks on me begin!

Watch the martyr complex.

I think there was even a period of Russian history where there was no capital punishment, only exiling to Siberia where you'd probably die anyway.

Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »

I think there was even a period of Russian history where there was no capital punishment, only exiling to Siberia where you'd probably die anyway.

St. Vladimir eliminated capital punishment, and Russia didn't have Siberia in those days.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
I would say by all accounts, this is not the work of the possessed.  Influenced.... absolutely, deceived... certainly, but not possessed.

The devil does not need to possess a man to make him do such evil.  Besides, true possession is hard to hide.  Even those with 'perfect possession' (those who do not struggle and welcome the possession) still exude the unmistakable air of evil.  They also usually rise to the heights of society, because the devil rewards his own.

What we have here was a man who was a man in the fallen sense.  What happened was that he did not internalize what he preached, and this ultimately did him in.

The particulars don't matter, because they won't make sense of what ultimately does not make sense.  Evil lacks a true explanation because evil has no legitimate excuse.  "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do."  Only humans seem to have that ability to do what they do not know.

If you want to read an interesting example: http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Men-Reserve-Battalion-Solution/dp/0060995068/ref=la_B001H6UQXM_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341090791&sr=1-1

Dear Mikha'el,

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

And the lynch mob mentality.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
St. Vladimir eliminated capital punishment, and Russia didn't have Siberia in those days.
I'm talking 1800's.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.