Author Topic: Katie Holmes to divorce Tom Cruise over Scientology  (Read 1939 times)

Offline GTAsoldier

• Elder
Katie Holmes to divorce Tom Cruise over Scientology
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
Katie Holmes filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.

Case in point, Katie doesn't want her child to be a Scientologist. So, she's seeking sole custody of her child.

- GTA
God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: Katie Holmes to divorce Tom Cruise over Scientology
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »
Katie Holmes filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.

Case in point, Katie doesn't want her child to be a Scientologist. So, she's seeking sole custody of her child.

- GTA

Translation: An immature whiny dink falls head-over-heels for a ding-a-ling; discovers source of ding-a-lingness (after the fact!) and files for divorce.  The REAL problem?  Little child stuck in middle.  Clowns to the left of her, jokers to the right...     
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
Clowns to the left of her, jokers to the right...     

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
Glad to see she had the balls to do it. She seemed very unhappy for years.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
And people think Orthodoxy is cultish...Orthodoxy's got nothing on Scientology.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
Have you ever really looked into Scientology?

It's very interesting in the weirdest way possible.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
Have you ever really looked into Scientology?

It's very interesting in the weirdest way possible.
For humor:
Scientology's L. Ron Hubbard: Kooky Wacky Crazy Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leBn2p170Sg

More seriously, you can research the relation between Scientology and Aleister Crowley.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:45:06 PM by rakovsky »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »

IIRC, her mother had been rather upset when Katie married Cruise. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

I would too. He's a wacko.

I still love him as an actor though.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
He's a wacko.

One comment was that the movie he did with Nicole Kidman Eyes Wide Shut was related to Scientology, because of the cultish aspects: High profile people, including top celebrities who secretly engage in cult rituals. There were also stories about orgies in Scientology, but I doubt whether they were widespread.

I also saw a clip a few years ago on youtube where he was wearing jeans and talking about himself in a straightforward way. It appeared to be a scene from a movie. Does anyone remember this? I don't remember it from Vanilla Sky, but the scene reminds me of something more from that movie or from Magnolia than other movies of his I saw.

I remember thinking that it's as if he was describing his experience or personality in relation to scientology and that made it humorous. But of course I doubt he would make a critical portrayal like that knowingly in a movie.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:25:58 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »
Who thinks Orthodoxy is cultish?  ???

Offline Carefree T

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
I hope she returns to her Catholicism and raises their child in it. It's unfortunate that the child will have to live in a broken family, but if she can raised with Christ and not in a cult, then this is overjoyous news.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 01:13:25 AM »
Who thinks Orthodoxy is cultish?  ???
Plenty of Protestants.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:50 AM »

Only when a great director is pulling the strings: Kubrik, P. T. Anderson . . .
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:30 AM »
He's a wacko.

One comment was that the movie he did with Nicole Kidman Eyes Wide Shut was related to Scientology, because of the cultish aspects: High profile people, including top celebrities who secretly engage in cult rituals. There were also stories about orgies in Scientology, but I doubt whether they were widespread.

I also saw a clip a few years ago on youtube where he was wearing jeans and talking about himself in a straightforward way. It appeared to be a scene from a movie. Does anyone remember this? I don't remember it from Vanilla Sky, but the scene reminds me of something more from that movie or from Magnolia than other movies of his I saw.

I remember thinking that it's as if he was describing his experience or personality in relation to scientology and that made it humorous. But of course I doubt he would make a critical portrayal like that knowingly in a movie.

The Schnitzler work that movie is very closely based on, Traumnovella, predates Scientology by quite a bit. Now if you want to argue that Schnitzler and Freud influenced each other a lot and that Hubbard got a lot of his ideas from odd post-Freudians, maybe.

But neither Kubrik nor Schnitzler would have ever had anything to do with such nonsense.

Great text. Great movie. Nothing to do with Scientology though, at least in any meaningful sense. It did end that marriage. Kubrik saw to that.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Bruin5

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 03:24:56 AM »
I still think this is one of the best reads on Scientology, and especially Tom Cruise's role.   It's the New Yorker story bases on Paul Haggis' experiences.   

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »

- GTA

But then her kids could shoot lightning into Oprah Winfrey's hands.  (Lol youtube it)
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline GTAsoldier

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
But then her kids could shoot lightning into Oprah Winfrey's hands.  (Lol youtube it)

Don't need to. :)

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
He's a wacko.

The Schnitzler work that movie is very closely based on, Traumnovella, predates Scientology by quite a bit. Now if you want to argue that Schnitzler and Freud influenced each other a lot and that Hubbard got a lot of his ideas from odd post-Freudians, maybe.

But neither Kubrik nor Schnitzler would have ever had anything to do with such nonsense.

Great text. Great movie. Nothing to do with Scientology though, at least in any meaningful sense. It did end that marriage. Kubrik saw to that.
Orthonorm,

Interesting remarks by you showing that it preceded Hubbard. Now perhaps there could be a relation between Scientology and Kubrik's decision to make the movie or use Cruise, but not necessarily. On another note, do you think the movie is based on reality, where there is some weird occult group run by the world's elites? Is it talking about Masonic leadership or something, maybe?

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
But then her kids could shoot lightning into Oprah Winfrey's hands.  (Lol youtube it)

Don't need to. :)

Ironically this was the clip for where Cruise first met Katie publicly in relation to their marriage.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:41:23 PM by rakovsky »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
I still think this is one of the best reads on Scientology, and especially Tom Cruise's role.   It's the New Yorker story bases on Paul Haggis' experiences.   

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all

That was a long, but fascinating and very educational look at Scientology.  Thanks for posting that.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
Plenty of Protestants.

Plenty of Orthodox too, who aren't comfortable with Orthodoxy in its more traditional forms.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
He's a wacko.

Orthonorm,

Interesting remarks by you showing that it preceded Hubbard. Now perhaps there could be a relation between Scientology and Kubrik's decision to make the movie or use Cruise, but not necessarily. On another note, do you think the movie is based on reality, where there is some weird occult group run by the world's elites? Is it talking about Masonic leadership or something, maybe?

Unfortunately, I could expand on this for probably a book or at least a few dozen pages.

[redacted attempt at a quick explanation of the text and film]

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
Way to go. Fixing one sin (marrying an apostate) with another sin (divorce). Isn't she a saint? ::)
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
Way to go. Fixing one sin (marrying an apostate) with another sin (divorce). Isn't she a saint? ::)

James, you are losing your edge here.

Not only are you wrong.
You didn't make me read at least 1,200 words.
You are being boorish.
You used isn't.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
Your posts make me laugh at least twice a day.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
Tom Cruise has admitted that Katie Holmes filed for divorce in part because of his involvement in the controversial Church of Scientology.
During his deposition...for his $50 million defamation case against Bauer media (whose magazines claimed he abandoned his daughter Suri Cruise), the 51-year-old actor first exploded with anger when asked if Holmes left him "in part to protect Suri from Scientology."
But when lawyers pushed the question again, asking if his ex-wife ever indicated that she left because of the religion or because she wanted to protect their daughter from Scientology, Cruise responded:

"Did she say that? That was one of the assertions, yes."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »

In case anyone cares, this was in jest.

I hope he takes care of himself after the divorce, I remember seeing some pictures floating around once the news broke and he looked really shaken up.

I dunno he seems to me like a classy guy from what I've seen, but you know religion will make anything good turn into bad, especially if it becomes a struggle in a marriage with children.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:48:15 PM by Shiny »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
I hope he takes care of himself after the divorce, I remember seeing some pictures floating around once the news broke and he looked really shaken up.

Last I remember seeing on him was on the Graham Norton show, several months ago, promoting Oblivion. He looked really chipper, but then he's a pro.

Complete show
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »

Last I remember seeing on him was on the Graham Norton show, several months ago, promoting Oblivion. He looked really chipper, but then he's a pro.

Complete show
I need you, need you
Outside I'm masquerading
Inside my hope is fading
Just a clown oh yeah
Since you put me down
My smile is my make up
I wear since my break up with you
So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
Point of correction to the thread title: Hasn't the divorce already been finalized? If so, why speak of the divorce as if it's still in process? IOW, Katie Holmes has already filed for divorce, so what she's really trying TO do is claim sole custody of their daughter.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
Point of correction to the thread title: Hasn't the divorce already been finalized? If so, why speak of the divorce as if it's still in process? IOW, Katie Holmes has already filed for divorce, so what she's really trying TO do is claim sole custody of their daughter.

Ah, but when the thread was originally created, the divorce was still current.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »

Ah, but when the thread was originally created, the divorce was still current.
Okay, good point. ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
CANTERBURY, England (RNS) Britain’s highest court ruled Wednesday (Dec. 11) that Scientology is a religion, giving a 25-year old-woman and her fiance the legal rights to marry at the church’s headquarters in London.

Louisa Hodkin appealed to the Supreme Court after a lower court ruled that services run by Scientologists were not acts of worship.

In his ruling, Supreme Court Justice Lord Roger Toulson wrote that religions should not be confined to those with belief in a supreme deity. “To do so would be a form of religious discrimination unacceptable in today’s society,” he said.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.