OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:18:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Septuagint  (Read 315 times) Average Rating: 5
Ghassanid
Student of Christianity

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »

I have a huge question (huge for me anyway). Today I was reading the book of Joshua (NLT) and in the part about how Achan steals some of the loot from Jericho. Something really disturbed me because according to the NLT Achan's family are also stoned with him: "Then Joshua said to Achan, "Why have you brought trouble on us? The LORD will now bring trouble on you." And all the Israelites stoned Achan and his family and burned their bodies." (Joshua 7:25). So I decided to check the Septuagint and this is what the same verse says on the Septuagint: "And Joshua said to Achar, Why hast thou destroyed us? the Lord destroy thee as at this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones." (Joshua 7:25). So it seems the Septuagint does not give me the same moral problem as the NLT which is based on the Masoretic Text. What I want to ask is Which one is more trustworthy and accurate the Septuagint or the Masoretic Text.

If you want the link to the Septuagint its:http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/Genesis/index.htm
Im sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum, excuse my mistakes because this is the first time I have ever posted on this site.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:04:15 AM by Ghassanid » Logged

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

I have a huge question (huge for me anyway). Today I was reading the book of Joshua (NLT) and in the part about how Achan steals some of the loot from Jericho. Something really disturbed me because according to the NLT Achan's family are also stoned with him: "Then Joshua said to Achan, "Why have you brought trouble on us? The LORD will now bring trouble on you." And all the Israelites stoned Achan and his family and burned their bodies." (Joshua 7:25). So I decided to check the Septuagint and this is what the same verse says on the Septuagint: "And Joshua said to Achar, Why hast thou destroyed us? the Lord destroy thee as at this day. And all Israel stoned him with stones." (Joshua 7:25). So it seems the Septuagint does not give me the same moral problem as the NLT which is based on the Masoretic Text. What I want to ask is Which one is more trustworthy and accurate the Septuagint or the Masoretic Text.

If you want the link to the Septuagint its:http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/Genesis/index.htm
Im sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum, excuse my mistakes because this is the first time I have ever posted on this site.

We Orthodox should always refer to the LXX in preference to the MT. The LXX is the Old Testament of the Church and the version most frequently attested to by the New Testament. The MT is a post-Christian Jewish version.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »

Yes, St. Paul uses only the Septuagint.  This is a good resource:

http://mysite.verizon.net/rgjones3/Septuagint/spindex.htm

Ghassanid
Student of Christianity

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I will abandon my NLT and just read the LXX from now on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:20:11 AM by Ghassanid » Logged

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »

Here is the LXX verse in the original Greek:

25 καὶ εἶπεν ᾿Ιησοῦς τῷ ῎Αχαρ· τί ὠλόθρευσας ἡμᾶς; ἐξολοθρεύσαι σε Κύριος καθὰ καὶ σήμερον. καὶ ἐλιθοβόλησαν αὐτὸν λίθοις πᾶς ᾿Ισραήλ.

The translation provided in the OP is accurate.

Ghassanid
Student of Christianity

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »

25 καὶ εἶπεν ᾿Ιησοῦς τῷ ῎Αχαρ· τί ὠλόθρευσας ἡμᾶς; ἐξολοθρεύσαι σε Κύριος καθὰ καὶ σήμερον. καὶ ἐλιθοβόλησαν αὐτὸν λίθοις πᾶς ᾿Ισραήλ.

Do you know where I can buy a modern English translation of the LXX with the "Apocrypha"?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »

Do you know where I can buy a modern English translation of the LXX with the "Apocrypha"?
http://orthodoxstudybible.com/
It's missing IV Maccabees.  I don't comment here on the quality of the translation.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481
Avoid the New Revised.  This is the RSV.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Septuagint  Masoretic Text  Difference Joshua  7:25 Achan stoning family 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: