OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay renegade Ukrainian Bishop  (Read 1580 times) Average Rating: 0
pious1

Faith: Orthodox

« on: June 08, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

Anyone familiar with this "bishop" I know he has no affiliation with the UOCUSA, UOCC, or UOCKP. It states he is the rep of the UAOC (Ukrainian Autocephalaus Church under Met Mefodiy) but if this is the type of fruit loop that the UAOC appoints in the US, no wonder the UOCUSA renounced autocephally back in 1995.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Michael_Javchak_Champion
https://www.facebook.com/migueljosenyc
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »

Hasn't he been on here before?  I remember some vagante bishop coming on here in the past couple years defending his ecclessial community.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »

Nope, my bad.  Wrong Bishop Michael.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »

Fruitloop? Lol.

Tell me about this guy, whats his deal? I don't know anything about him.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »

Hasn't he been on here before?  I remember some vagante bishop coming on here in the past couple years defending his ecclessial community.

Was that the Swedish guy?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:50:24 AM »

While I think I know of him from elsewhere (trying to remember where and when), the OP's characterization of the gentleman in the thread title - unsupported by anything that I see anywhere in the links offered - seems a bit extreme and possibly actionable were he so inclined.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:50:59 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:49 AM »

ok - I'm seeing where the OP was coming from ...

On Same-Sex Marriage

An Interview - this is a cached link to a blog that apparently isn't o/l any longer, so it may not work ...

the last link above tells me where I've heard the name before ...

before he ukrainianized his name, he was just plain old Bishop Michael Champion - still UOAC-C - but also Archbishop of the Iglesia Liberación Latina - a joint effort reportedly by the Reformed Church in America and the UAOC-C

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »

I'm not sure what is supposed to occur at this point. There is this "bishop", he's gay, he wants to spread the word of Christ amongst "inmigrant and marginalized people" and we're supposed to do what?

I just don't understand the problem.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

It states he is the rep of the UAOC (Ukrainian Autocephalaus Church under Met Mefodiy)

Only since 2005, if I'm understanding Wikipedia rightly

In 2004–2005 In UAOC-Sobornopravna in the USA took place the events that changed cardinally the status of UAOC-Sobornopravna in Ukraine. UAOC-Sobornopravna of North and South America became UAOC of North and South America and Diaspora and, headed by metropolitan Michael (Yavchak-Champion) joined with UAOC in Ukraine, declaring Metropolitan Mefodiy (Kudriakov) to be their Primate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Autocephalous_Orthodox_Church_Canonical#UAOC-Sobornopravna

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »

Well, I don't think that any gay Bishop would be widely accepted in all the EO faith.  Smiley

Since an EO bishop is celibate,  I don't see why "Gay" would even come into play.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:35 AM »

Looks like OP just hates Gay's.

pious1

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »

Looks like OP just hates Gay's.

I don't "hate" anybody. I just find it sad that someone is an openly gay hierarch in a Ukrainian Church. Also I was curious if there is actually any presence of his UAOC here in the states as I was unable via google to find any parishes and his website www.uaoc.org looks outdated and not kept up the past few years. I'm also curious as to who ordained him because although his websites claim being part of the UOAC in Ukraine under Met Mefodiy, I see no evidence. Maybe he is a breakaway renegade bishop like Archbishop Ihor Ischienko formerly of the UAOC in Ukraine but who now leads his own branch in Kharkiv of maybe 20 parishes.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

I don't "hate" anybody. I just find it sad that someone is an openly gay hierarch in a Ukrainian Church.

Why? As long as he is not advocating non-Orthodox ethics why should his sexual orientation bother anyone?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:26:24 AM by Alpo » Logged
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

I don't "hate" anybody. I just find it sad that someone is an openly gay hierarch in a Ukrainian Church.

Why? As long as he is not advocating non-Orthodox ethics why should his sexual orientation bother anyone?

Generally people, especially clergy, should keep their specific passions and struggles between themselves and their confessors.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »

Generally people, especially clergy, should keep their specific passions and struggles between themselves and their confessors.

I'm actually quite suprised that someone could come up with such a reasonable-ish explanation. I could agree that as a general rule but not at this point. Should hierarchs conceal their lust for women i.e. heterosexuality?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

He doesn't have a beard ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »

He now goes by Monsenor Miguel Jose Champion.   angel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxVKoam0vE&list=UUqrDHbobFqd10ej6IEkdItQ&index=7&feature=plcp

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »

And here he is with his epitrachelion on:

http://youtu.be/PEXq5C-XT-g

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »

agreed.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »

I'm actually quite suprised that someone could come up with such a reasonable-ish explanation. I could agree that as a general rule but not at this point. Should hierarchs conceal their lust for women i.e. heterosexuality?

Conceal? Or just not talk about it publicly. While there are few exceptions (widowed priests who became bishops, St. Augustine and what he put into the Confessions), I would say that I do not know the sexual orientation or proclivities of 99% of Orthodox bishops past or present--and I'm good with that.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »

This topic of sick clergy hits the nail for me on the Orthodox Church. We agree that homosexuality is a disorder, right? Why doesn't God, Jesus Christ, heal his own clergy for the sake of His own Church and His own name? Unless of course the Orthodox Church has nothing to do with Him to begin with.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

This topic of sick clergy hits the nail for me on the Orthodox Church. We agree that homosexuality is a disorder, right? Why doesn't God, Jesus Christ, heal his own clergy for the sake of His own Church and His own name? Unless of course the Orthodox Church has nothing to do with Him to begin with.

Christ doesn't work magic for us sinners to make us well without personal effort. The clergy are just like you and me, no different, they aren't more "protected" from sin, they are still human beings with free will who are just as broken as us. God doesnt take their free will away because they are clergy...

You'll find this is true of every religion around the world and of so-called non-religions. "no man lives who does not sin"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »

The man we are talking about is not a member of the Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

I wouldn't categorize sin as a disorder, rather a condition.  We all have our weaknesses in this world.  What matters is our ability to deal with them.  Clergy are just as human as we are.  God will heal the Church.  Give it time.  He works on his own clock, not ours.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: