OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:22:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hagia Sophia Pews/Seating?  (Read 3173 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »

While reading Lars Brownworth's book "Lost to the West", I noticed on page 195, while talking about the uprisings in favor of Nicephorus Phocas (10th Century) that he mentions that Leo Phocas (Nicephorus' brother) fled to Hagia Sophia for refuge against the guards trying to kill him And the congregation rose up in support of him and even used "demolished pews" to fight back the guards...

Would this have been a misunderstanding on the part of the author? I thought pews didn't exist in churches until the 15th Century, and the only seating was behind the iconostasis (against the apse) and the seat for the emperor.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »

Some quick research I did just says that (as we knew) any seating at the time was a lot the walls and most often stone. So they could have used the seating for the infirm along the walls as weapons.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

While reading Lars Brownworth's book "Lost to the West", I noticed on page 195, while talking about the uprisings in favor of Nicephorus Phocas (10th Century) that he mentions that Leo Phocas (Nicephorus' brother) fled to Hagia Sophia for refuge against the guards trying to kill him And the congregation rose up in support of him and even used "demolished pews" to fight back the guards...

Would this have been a misunderstanding on the part of the author? I thought pews didn't exist in churches until the 15th Century, and the only seating was behind the iconostasis (against the apse) and the seat for the emperor.

What he calls "pews" may just have been some benches against the wall or whatever.  It would be interesting to see what the original Greek says.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: