Author Topic: A question about the Iconostases....  (Read 2201 times)

Offline fatman2021

• Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
  • Protopope Avvakum, pray for us.
    • How to make the sign of the cross....
A question about the Iconostases....
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
Why did the Greek Orthodox Church replace the altar curtains with the iconostasis?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:54:44 PM by fatman2021 »
O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
Re: A question about the Iconostases....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
what exactly do you mean?
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline fatman2021

• Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
  • Protopope Avvakum, pray for us.
    • How to make the sign of the cross....
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
what exactly do you mean?

VIII And how shall the table of the sacrament be positioned, and (what about) the partitions also?

The table of expiation is behind the veil, where the Holy Spirit descends; and the font next to it in the same compartment, and out of honor set up on the right hand. And the clergy in there several ranks shall worship (there), the congregation outside the veil, and the catechumens at the door, listening. Lest these partitions be effaced by encroachments, let each remain in his own station irreproachable....This injunction concerning the faith and ordinances of the Church I hand down to you in accordance with your supplications, and we pronounce an anathema on those who are contrary minded.

Saint Macarius I, Archbishop of Jerusalem (335 A.D.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:04:39 PM by fatman2021 »
O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
Why did the Greek Orthodox Church replace the altar curtains with the iconostasis?

The iconostasis has a curtain (or, at least, is supposed to).  There is no "replacement."
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

I've been to a few that do not have curtains (see attached photos).
The first is Greek, the second Antiochian.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:50 PM »

I've been to a few that do not have curtains (see attached photos).
The first is Greek, the second Antiochian.

What are those long things on the sides that appear to be benches? And why are people sitting on them?
N/OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »

Well...I'm not sure what they are.

I just know that I have this huge blue bruise on my shin from one of them - from 2 weeks ago!
;)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
What are those long things on the sides that appear to be benches? And why are people sitting on them?

They're stalls. Many churches within monasteries have them, particularly those that have been around for centuries. Quite a few parish churches, ancient and present-day, have them, too.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »

They're stalls. Many churches within monasteries have them, particularly those that have been around for centuries. Quite a few parish churches, ancient and present-day, have them, too.
I think he's talking about the pews...

As for the curtain... The iconostasis has a curtain at the Royal Doors (the central doors), in some churches, they don't have a curtain, and I've even seen some churches who have a bigger sliding door serving as a curtain.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »

The iconostasis has a curtain (or, at least, is supposed to).  There is no "replacement."

I think he's trying to ask why the Byzantine rite changed from a large curtain spanning the whole entrance to the sanctuary as was found in the Jewish Temple and is still found in the Asian OO churches and the Nestorian church to a format where the iconostasis covers most of the entrance to the sanctuary with a small curtain in the middle.
I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
That 2nd picture is breathtaking, Liza  :-*

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

;)

Thanks!

—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

;)

Thanks!

Where is the church located? I would like to visit it one day.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »

They are both in the Detroit, Michigan area.

The top one is a St. John Greek Orthodox Church in Sterling Heights, MI.

The second one is Basilica of St. Mary (Antiochian Orthodox) in Livonia, MI.

This photo is from St. Lazarus Serbian Orthodox, Detroit, MI - where the 3rd Sunday's Lenten Vespers was held.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Seraphim98

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
According to one book I've read on the development and continuity of Orthodox worship, the growth of the iconostasis was gradual. It began as railing to screen the altar that grew to a frame that held the curtain. That led to "doors" By the 4th and 5th centuries areas near the posts were enlarged to receive icons. As more icons were hung more solid area was added to support them until the whole thing had grown into an icon covered partition between the nave and the altar.  By the 15th century in Russia it had become an icon wall.

The rood screen of English churches is the survival of the basic frame stage of the iconostasis. The curtains were removed around the time of the Reformation, I think.

The reason for both the curtain and the iconostasis developed as a response to the presence of those among the people who were either not Christians, still Catecumens, or Baptized but in a penitential status that proscribed communion.  In the very early days the liturgy of the Word and the Divine Liturgy were separated services. Only baptized Christians in good standing were permitted at the liturgy (not a spectator affair). Since the holy things were for the holy and they were only meant to be seen and partaken of by those spiritually ready for communion, the partition protected the holy things from the gaze of the profane and spiritually lax, though the mystery going on within the altar was made present in the icons of the iconostas so that hearts might still ascend via the duller senses of the body through contemplation of the images.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
I think he's trying to ask why the Byzantine rite changed from a large curtain spanning the whole entrance to the sanctuary as was found in the Jewish Temple and is still found in the Asian OO churches and the Nestorian church to a format where the iconostasis covers most of the entrance to the sanctuary with a small curtain in the middle.

I figured, but of course the iconostasis and curtain are two elements with different origins that were merged together, never "replacing" one with the other but rather finding a way to keep both.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline W.A.Mozart

• High Elder
  • Lazare, veni foras!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
there are many things that some orthodox believers have in their brains... and the things are not orthodox-1 of them is the iconostas... not that i have something against icons,God forbid... I dont agree with putting barrier between the priests and people... I would also like to point out that there were priest who actually claimed that God's grace can burn the believers and only priests are aloud to enter the altar... this attitude is known as   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clericalism
completely new, especially not yet used

Offline вєликаго

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
Forgive if bumping this topic is offensive, but, I thought it was rather interesting and wondered if someone could point me towards more sources of information, concerning this topic.
St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What