OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:18:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox vs. Roman Catholic View on Divorce & Remarriage?  (Read 1937 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 28, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »

Looking into it, this is something that has disturbed me to be honest. Both views seem pretty lousy to me, but the Orthodox view seems almost absurd. A limit of three marriages? Where are the patristics to support this? It is entirely abominable. We only have this doctrine because of some event involving an emperor a long time ago? That seems very silly to me; like the founding of the Anglican Church. How do we really support a view like this? On the other hand, I think that the Roman Catholic view seems more 'on the right track' seeing that divorce is much more frowned upon and Christ's words about it taken more seriously, but this whole Annulment system is entirely cruel seeing the effects that it has on some families and how it pretty much just seems to be an 'easy way out' to offer people divorce without technically divorcing them.

Thoughts?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »

Looking into it, this is something that has disturbed me to be honest. Both views seem pretty lousy to me, but the Orthodox view seems almost absurd. A limit of three marriages? Where are the patristics to support this? It is entirely abominable. We only have this doctrine because of some event involving an emperor a long time ago? That seems very silly to me; like the founding of the Anglican Church. How do we really support a view like this? On the other hand, I think that the Roman Catholic view seems more 'on the right track' seeing that divorce is much more frowned upon and Christ's words about it taken more seriously, but this whole Annulment system is entirely cruel seeing the effects that it has on some families and how it pretty much just seems to be an 'easy way out' to offer people divorce without technically divorcing them.

Thoughts?

If you're referring to the Moechian Controversy, you have the causality reversed. The Church was scandalized by the fact that the emperor had contracted a fourth marriage (all three of his previous wives had died) because it was already believed that the limit upon remarriages should be two (for a total of three marriages). The Church in the end allowed for this fourth marriage by extreme economy on the condition that the emperor outlaw all future fourth marriages (prior to this, obtaining a fourth marriage was legal, but it was not permitted by the Church).

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:00:14 AM »

Thoughts?

Your comments seem rather confused. On the one hand you seem to be saying that we're wrong (and the RCs better) to allow remarriage at all and on the other that we're wrong to limit the total number of marriages to three. Which is it? I honestly can't see how anyone could think that the RC annulment system is better. Frankly it seems ridiculously close to dodgy lawyers finding legal loopholes to render an otherwise valid contract null and void. The Orthodox stance on divorce and remarriage on the other hand is to allow remarriage as a concession to human weakness whilst always acknowledging that it is not the ideal. I find this much preferable myself even though, even were I to be widowed, God forbid, I can't see myself ever wishing to remarry. As for the limit, well it seems to me that if you're asking for a 4th marriage you've amply demonstrated that you don't take marriage seriously and the Church is right to refuse you.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »

Thoughts?
The canons on this long predate Emperor Leo's problems (btw, when the Church of New Rome wouldn't bless his marriage, he went and got his approval from Old Rome which gave it) by centuries.  One can make a mistake, but when it  becomes a habit, it is to be discouraged.  Annullments don't do that: you can get them for as many "not real marriages" you have.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »

In this, as in many other things, I find the Orthodox approach to be pastoral rather than legalistic. The Church recognizes that divorce is never a good thing, but also recognizes that people screw up, make mistakes and can then repent. That seems eminently more reasonable, and compassionate than declaring that a longtime marriage with children never existed in the first place.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »

That seems very silly to me; like the founding of the Anglican Church.

Meaning no disrespect to you, but may I ask what you know of the real history of the Anglican Church please?

There is a thread on the forum on this subject in which I and others posted this.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »

I see no reason why the Gospel stuff about divorce has to have an ultra-strict application, while all that other stuff about turning the other cheek and giving your clothes to someone and such is more of a "do as you please" thing. You converted to a hierarchical religion, which says it was created by God himself, and that the modern leaders can trace their roots back to the original apostles... so now you have to respect their ah-thor-ah-tie.  Wink
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »

I see no reason why the Gospel stuff about divorce has to have an ultra-strict application, while all that other stuff about turning the other cheek and giving your clothes to someone and such is more of a "do as you please" thing.

And we have a winner.

While this may have become somewhat distorted in some places where the Church is tied into the state and has to issue a formal 'ecclesiastical divorce' before allowing remarriage, the Church doesn't 'allow' divorce anymore than it 'allows' revenge or lying or theft. Ask any Orthodox priest and he'll tell you that divorce is a sin. What the Church does allow is repentence of sin. The fact that the Church allows liars, after proper repentence and confession, to be readmitted to communion doesn't mean the Church allows lieing.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »

I see no reason why the Gospel stuff about divorce has to have an ultra-strict application, while all that other stuff about turning the other cheek and giving your clothes to someone and such is more of a "do as you please" thing.

I completely agree...except I think my agreement leads to a different outcome than yours (if you are like most people) does.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »

Thoughts?
The canons on this long predate Emperor Leo's problems (btw, when the Church of New Rome wouldn't bless his marriage, he went and got his approval from Old Rome which gave it) by centuries.  One can make a mistake, but when it  becomes a habit, it is to be discouraged.  Annullments don't do that: you can get them for as many "not real marriages" you have.

What does one call the offspring of those "not real marriages"?   what kind of stigma is attached?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:29:55 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Bruin5

Faith: Greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

Thoughts?

"it is entirely abominable"?

Frankly, and unfortunately having experienced it, it seems quite reasonable to me.  At some point, multiple marriages begats the question of how seriously it is taken.

In my case, my first marriage didn't work out.  I had to go through the spiritual court to have it dissolved.  Was not fun, and the Priests asked some very pointed questions.   My ex ended up re marrying in the Catholic Church.  They ended up annulling our marriage due to a "marital defect".  Even though it didn't affect me, it still made me angry in that they pervert a reason to grant annulment. 

As for me, I've been married for 25 years, so I'm thankful we have a Church that grants "economia" in these situations.   We are fallible, so if we can learn from our mistakes that's a good thing.  Making the same mistake over and over is a different story.

Now, to hijack the thread, I have more of an issue with Priests not being able to remarry after the death of a Prebytera, especially if they have small children.  There has to be a better answer than they either remain celibate or leave the Priesthood.   

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:35:07 PM by Bruin5 » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »

My question here is, why does the Orthodox only allow up to three marriages, and this counts spouses who have passed away.  In the Catholic teaching, you can marry as many as you like as long as the previous spouse has passed away.  I can understand divorce and remarriage where it is more of a concession (or better yet, economy) to let one remarry.  But if the spouse passed away, why still limit it?  The Catholic teaching of course comes from Scripture where Jesus said nobody is given for marriage in heaven.  So when the spouse dies, they are married no more.
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »

Now, to hijack the thread, I have more of an issue with Priests not being able to remarry after the death of a Prebytera, especially if they have small children.  There has to be a better answer than they either remain celibate or leave the Priesthood.   

I'm guessing here, but maybe it is an extension of St. Paul's teaching about the Bishop being a man of one wife, meaning he was only married a maximum of once.  So it is now extended to all clergy, at least in the Orthodox Church.

That scenario you gave is allowable in the Roman Catholic Church in the case of Permanent Deacons.  I am not sure if the Eastern Catholic Church allows for remarriage of widower priests or even their deacons, or they follow the Orthodox practice.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

What does one call the offspring of those "not real marriages"?   what kind of stigma is attached?
Children.  None.  As has been repeated everytime this comes up, the Catholic Church is not saying a legal marriage did not take place only that a sacramental one did not take place.   

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

Children.  None.  As has been repeated everytime this comes up, the Catholic Church is not saying a legal marriage did not take place only that a sacramental one did not take place.   
Exactly...it is amazing how many people do not understand this. I cannot tell you how many non-Catholics I have heard say that they disagree with the practice of annulments within the Catholic Church since it "makes children illegitimate." Totally not true.
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

Exactly...it is amazing how many people do not understand this. I cannot tell you how many non-Catholics I have heard say that they disagree with the practice of annulments within the Catholic Church since it "makes children illegitimate." Totally not true.

As a Catholic, I do not agree with annulments because it makes a mockery of the Sacramentality of Marriage.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: