OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:48:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My reason for considering converting from the RCC  (Read 858 times) Average Rating: 0
rko

Faith: Working it out

« on: June 27, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

Healing, economia, theosis.  These concepts are all but foreign to me as a cradle catholic.  The RCC speaks of being pastoral, and of course they are, but this idea that one is healed from sin, rather than "penalized" and then forgiven is wonderfully pastoral. That in itself leads one down the path to theosis.
Economia respects the judgment of the Patriarch or Priest, instead of consulting canon law.

The EOC seems to me to be so much more understanding of the average sinner, and has the tools given her by Christ to lead them down the narrow way.

Am I wrong?
rko

Faith: Working it out

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

One i forgot is the EOC's perfect understanding of Original Sin. Truly perfect.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »

Yeah, that's what is drawing me, too!

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »

Beauty, eh?
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 02:17:36 AM »

I don't think you're wrong (but of course I am quite biased)

I remember feeling as I left Roman Catholicism that it had only ever talked about things that I was now given the tools to manipulate. Orthodoxy understood my sins at a deeper level and was more ready with hands-on, practical information on combating them, which funnily enough often relied upon my giving up control. In Orthodoxy I believe I was truly taught how to pray, and the importance of it.

Not that I did not pray as a Roman Catholic, and not that I think those prayers were anything like in vain, but Orthodoxy, I feel, taught me to pray at a deeper level, and why. Truly that has made the difference.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »

I also am perhaps biased but think you are correct. Even though I come from a Protestant background, half my family are RC and both faiths seemed overly legalistic to me. The Orthodox idea of the Church as hospital is one of the things that really drew me in. I know this is not entirely absent in heterodox churches but it is certainly de-emphasised to the point where it almost vanishes from view. The pastoral care I have received in the Orthodox church has helped me avoid sin (obviously not all, I'm still human, but certain sins I found difficult to overcome really have become things of the past), not simply absolved me of it.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »

Healing, economia, theosis.  These concepts are all but foreign to me as a cradle catholic.  The RCC speaks of being pastoral, and of course they are, but this idea that one is healed from sin, rather than "penalized" and then forgiven is wonderfully pastoral. That in itself leads one down the path to theosis.
Economia respects the judgment of the Patriarch or Priest, instead of consulting canon law.

The EOC seems to me to be so much more understanding of the average sinner, and has the tools given her by Christ to lead them down the narrow way.

Am I wrong?

I don't know you're personal experience as a Roman Catholic, but to be honest with you, you can believe these things and try to implement them into you're daily spiritual life without believing or doing anything that is mutually exclusive to what Rome teaches or allows to be practiced.

Just a thought.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:58:17 AM »

Many Catholics I know have a more "eastern" perspective of original sin, especially those who are better catechized.
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »

I don't know you're personal experience as a Roman Catholic, but to be honest with you, you can believe these things and try to implement them into you're daily spiritual life without believing or doing anything that is mutually exclusive to what Rome teaches or allows to be practiced.

Just a thought.

This is an excellent point.  As an Anglican I too shear away from the legalistic nature of Western worship and in this respect the Orthodoxy tradition is invaluable in helping to maintain balance. 

But is the Divine Liturgy that grabs me.  Although the words are basically the same as those said in an Anglican church, there is more going on than we appreciate.  I no longer come as one coming to a court to be 'judged' but rather as one who has made mistakes and wishes to move on.  It seems to me the Western church is still anchored at the foot of the cross.  There is more the God than being relieved of sin. 

Not all those who wander are lost.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »

When I looked into RC'ism, there were many problems, but one big one was infallibility in respect to all the legalism. If one "infallible" statement was proven wrong, the house tumbles down, and there is no rebuilding it.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: