OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you wear Orthodox "Amulets"?  (Read 662 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 12:49:23 AM »

Can you link or say something more about this? I hate such stupid questions, but there you have it.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 12:52:32 AM »

I wear a necklace with a small icon hanging from it of Jesus on one side and the Theotokos on the other. I wear it every day, usually under my shirt but occasionally on top. Once I get chismated I will trade that in for a cross, like the one hanging from the rear view mirror in my car. I do have several t-shirts with Orthodox or seemingly Orthodox images, not icons, on them.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »

Can you link or say something more about this? I hate such stupid questions, but there you have it.

I wish I could, but I'm going to have to defer to the Copts.  I'm not sure what significance, if any, there is to the use of leather and other materials, but it seems like a common monastic handicraft.  Similarly, I'm not sure if the design is anything more than a particular style.  I just have a few and I like them: they're light, unique, and do not need to be taken off at airport security.  Smiley   

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
DeniseDenise
OC.net guru

Faith: Now with added Catechumenness!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:10 AM »

a google reveals the following places etc...

I make no attestant of quality of info or merchandise

http://citydesert.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/coptic-leather-crosses/ - gives a history of these items

http://copticegypt.weebly.com/leather-crosses.html - has them for sale

Edited to fix the first URL.  Mor
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:20:34 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Here's hoping my defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ doesn't turn out to be 'well I argued about what day it was.....a lot'
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »

I make no attestant of quality of info or merchandise

http://copticegypt.weebly.com/leather-crosses.html - has them for sale

I've actually ordered from them before and never had a problem. 

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

Etsi

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »

My favorite amulet:

I have a black one of these. In fact, I've gone through a couple of them and am on my third.

And there is nothing hyperdox about a prayer rope.

I suppose if you actually use it and need it, then it's okay. But wearing it just because or using simply for the sake of using it even when you don't need it sounds hyperdox to me.

Maybe these prayer rope things help people but as for me, they simply just distract me to a degree.

That is the first time I've heard an Orthodox person say that a prayer rope distracts them. Yes, I use it...that's how I wore two of them out. It's been very, very helpful. I've taught my children how to use a prayer rope and am teaching my second youngest now. When we switched parishes, the priest gifted each member of our family old enough a prayer rope...not like these, but still, a prayer rope nonetheless. I like this style, in black (something just bothers me about having it like it's shown)...it's easy to keep with me (I'm very busy and likely to lose something in my pocket) and is simple enough that other people really don't notice it or pay it any mind. I don't know anyone that uses them for fashion or "just because".
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »

That is the first time I've heard an Orthodox person say that a prayer rope distracts them.

For many years, I did not wear a cross or anything else around my neck because it distracted me.  I could feel something moving on me as I moved, and it annoyed me.  Eventually, a friend challenged me to wear a cross and deal with the annoyance out of piety, and in a short while, I got used to it...now I feel strange not wearing it.  So I can sympathise with JamesR's comment. 

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

I wear a St. Xenia baptismal cross, a St. Xenia of St. Petersburg medal, and a Theotokos medal on a chain. I also have a band that has the Jesus prayer in church Slavonic that I wear as a wedding band. My wedding ring is out of commission, and apparently my thumb and ring finger are the same ring size. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:54:06 AM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »

I see the icon bracelets as an item for children. We gave one to our eldest daughter as a first confession gift.

Our son Taz has a pendant with the icon of the Seven Sorrows on a chain. It was made by a retired Orthodox priest based out of San Angelo TX.
Etsi

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »

That is the first time I've heard an Orthodox person say that a prayer rope distracts them.

For many years, I did not wear a cross or anything else around my neck because it distracted me.  I could feel something moving on me as I moved, and it annoyed me.  Eventually, a friend challenged me to wear a cross and deal with the annoyance out of piety, and in a short while, I got used to it...now I feel strange not wearing it.  So I can sympathise with JamesR's comment. 

I can understand if it's a physical irritant.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: