OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ante-Nicene Church Fathers  (Read 541 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 27, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »

Is this worth the money? And is it a good translation? Since I received about $60 from my Baptism, I was thinking of saving it up and treating myself to this massive book collection, but I do not want to waste away $137 on something that might now be worth it. And no, don't tell me about ebooks and kindles; I like my old fashioned hard-cover books. Even if it means paying hundreds of dollars...

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:44:06 AM »

Is this worth the money? And is it a good translation? Since I received about $60 from my Baptism, I was thinking of saving it up and treating myself to this massive book collection, but I do not want to waste away $137 on something that might now be worth it. And no, don't tell me about ebooks and kindles; I like my old fashioned hard-cover books. Even if it means paying hundreds of dollars...

I think it's good, I think it's the same as what you'll find on ccel
Nicene
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:58:26 AM »

Wow thats pretty awesome, I would get it and infact I may just save up for it myself. And I agree, physical copies all the way!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:59:11 AM by Nicene » Logged

Thank you.
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »

It's worth it - you will find yourself coming back to it again and again - it will serve you for life.  I know it is a big outlay - but so is anything that is worthwhile. 

Not all those who wander are lost.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:38:56 AM »

Is it available in other languages ?
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:42 AM »

Here is something for you in French:
http://bibliotheque.editionsducerf.fr/par%20page/5524/TM.htm# (Apostolical Fathers)
http://www.patristique.org/-Lire-les-Peres-.html (Fathers from different epochs)
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:15:05 AM »

http://bibliotheque.editionsducerf.fr/par%20page/5524/TM.htm# (Apostolical Fathers)
http://www.patristique.org/-Lire-les-Peres-.html (Fathers from different epochs)

Shocked

Thanks a lot !
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »

Small print. 19th-century translations. In essence, it's like a set of encyclopedias.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »

Small print. 19th-century translations. In essence, it's like a set of encyclopedias.

And even more dense.  They are great for reference, but light or casual reading they are definitely *not*--not even close!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

They are excellent.  I have had enough experience with 19th Century literature that I have no problem reading these.  I often find myself looking up one thing and then reading for hours.  Very well worth it, as are the two sets of the Post-Nicene Fathers.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »

I see used sets start at 89.99 on there.  I'd go that route if I were you, simply because, IMO, gently used books are the way to go.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

I might look into buying these at a later date. I have a free version of these books in pdf format that I obtained from ecmarsh.com and I love using them on my Kobo, but I would prefer to have them in a hardcopy format for easier searching and referencing. (for some odd reason volume 9 is missing but volume 10 is available...)

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »

There is a great website I stumbled upon in Russian, but I can't find it now.  The site is in Russian but the Fathers were not in Russian (I came across it looking for the Greek of St. Epiphanios).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »

There is a great website I stumbled upon in Russian, but I can't find it now.  The site is in Russian but the Fathers were not in Russian (I came across it looking for the Greek of St. Epiphanios).

Please PM if you find it !
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: