OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:11:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jackson's Orthodox Acceptance Speech at the Emmys  (Read 2743 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »

In the link provided in the OP, there's another link to musician's who've converted to Orthodoxy.  Some are extremely suspect, like Eminem and Chris Cornell.  But I thought it was awesome to see Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode listed (although his conversion is by marriage to a Greek gal.)  Being a big fan of DM, it's still cool.  I just hope he... we all... stay sincere and serious.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

Yo Jackson, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but St. Basil the Great has one of the best invocations of all time!

OF ALL TIME!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:57:19 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »

^ Love it.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

I rejoice in his conversion to Orthodoxy, and I applaud his boldness in publicly expressing his faith. However, I will pose this question: What do you think has more influence and effect upon society, this actor's 15 second testimony of his Orthodox faith or the hundreds of hours of a godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview? I hope that now that he's Orthodox he will find another career. OK, let the ridicule begin.

Selam
Ridicule, no.

Agree with you 100%.
God Bless you brother!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »

In the link provided in the OP, there's another link to musician's who've converted to Orthodoxy.  Some are extremely suspect, like Eminem and Chris Cornell. 
Eminem? I'm highly skeptical.

But Chris Cornell is legit.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:14 AM »

In the link provided in the OP, there's another link to musician's who've converted to Orthodoxy.  Some are extremely suspect, like Eminem and Chris Cornell. 
Eminem? I'm highly skeptical.

But Chris Cornell is legit.

Yeah, the Eminem thing has been floated on here before, but no one gave an actual source. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

Looked up this General Hospital thing. 12,000 episodes?!?!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

Unnecessary bump... Today was my first day back at church and this Jackson guy was there. I think I heard it mentioned that he is going to start attending at my parish. The first question I asked when I heard that he was on a soap was if he was the guy who gave that acceptance speech. Thank you OCnet for keeping me so well informed  Tongue

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »

I rejoice in his conversion to Orthodoxy, and I applaud his boldness in publicly expressing his faith. However, I will pose this question: What do you think has more influence and effect upon society, this actor's 15 second testimony of his Orthodox faith or the hundreds of hours of a godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview? I hope that now that he's Orthodox he will find another career. OK, let the ridicule begin.

Selam
Ridicule, no.

Agree with you 100%.
God Bless you brother!

How about the fact that he is an actor that makes a living off of it?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »

Looked up this General Hospital thing. 12,000 episodes?!?!
It's been on the air since the early 1960s.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

New Johnatan Jackson song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqScvGndvQ&feature=plcp

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: