OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:47:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jackson's Orthodox Acceptance Speech at the Emmys  (Read 3237 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« on: June 26, 2012, 06:17:16 AM »

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/06/jonathan-jacksons-orthodox-acceptance.html

From the one hand I applaud him but on the other, he just sounds like another 'thank you Jesus' guy. What happened to don't give pearls to swine...?

What do you guys think?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »

LOL!

Someone email or tweet him the herman thread STAT!

Why does General Hospital have 15 nominees in that category?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »

I thought it was great the way he incorporated his faith into his acceptance speech. I really do not see why some folks here are so offended by, or laugh at, public displays of one's beliefs.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »

I thought it was great the way he incorporated his faith into his acceptance speech. I really do not see why some folks here are so offended by, or laugh at, public displays of one's beliefs.

Shocking.

Now answer my question. Is General Hospital the only thing on daytime TV?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »

I think it's just an orthonorm thing.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »

Wow, that's great! 

I have no idea who he is, though!  Haven't watched General Hospital since my college days.
As for it being the "only" show....I think there are only 2 or 3 left.  Most went off the air last year, no?

I think it's great when Orthodox faithful make their beliefs known.  He's not over the top with it.

If we "hide" who we are, how exactly are we going to spread the message to others?  Perhaps if more people knew what we believed, and what we were thankful for, it might spark an interest in them.

Don't be a pharisee, don't throw pearls before swine....but, also don't keep the crumbs on your table to yourself.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »

I think it's just an orthonorm thing.

Nope. I am just more honest about it. Not that I doubt yours or Second's (EDIT for post time) or Liza's sincerity, if you three have any virtues it is certainly sincerity.

Going to answer my question now which is much more interesting than this thrill of the Orthodox hearing their religion finally included in the banal acceptance speech of a hactor?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:23:36 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »

Wow, that's great! 

I have no idea who he is, though!  Haven't watched General Hospital since my college days.
As for it being the "only" show....I think there are only 2 or 3 left.  Most went off the air last year, no?

I think it's great when Orthodox faithful make their beliefs known.  He's not over the top with it.

If we "hide" who we are, how exactly are we going to spread the message to others?  Perhaps if more people knew what we believed, and what we were thankful for, it might spark an interest in them.

Don't be a pharisee, don't throw pearls before swine....but, also don't keep the crumbs on your table to yourself.

Thank you for taking a stab at my question. So how many daytime dramas are left on TV?

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »

I don't know for sure.  Perhaps 3 or 4, at most.

I recall the big tada last year when One Life to Live, and All My Children got canceled.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »

I don't know for sure.  Perhaps 3 or 4, at most.

I recall the big tada last year when One Life to Live, and All My Children got canceled.

I rarely watch TV and certainly not daytime, but this sorta stuff is crucial to trivia dominance. Thanks.

When your entire life is trivia, everything becomes important.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »

Surreal! I also wanna thank the holy fathers on Athos for giving us occasion of entertainment like this!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

ROFL at the word "Hactor", keeping that for later usage.

I've never actually watched General Hospital, but I'm a soap queen.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »

I am quite impressed; he first gave thanks to the Holy Trinity and crossed himself-very Orthodox;his thanks to "the monks on Mt. Athos who pray unceasingly..." brought tears to my eyes.

Wikipedia reports that he converted to Orthodoxy this year.  

May God continue to bless him.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:29:16 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »

I am quite impressed; he first gave thanks to the Holy Trinity and crossed himself-very Orthodox;his thanks to "the monks on Mt. Athos who pray unceasingly..." brought tears to my eyes.

He was on a podcast with Fr. Andrew Damick about his conversion.

But I too was actually impressed with what he said.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:40:39 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »

Now you know how the all the evos feel when their folks give big ups to The Man Upstairs.

Glad I still don't.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:20:18 PM by orthonorm » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Its an American tradition, we simply bond through  cutting satire, self-deprecating humor, and overly facetious criticism, our European friends call it American individualism Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:11:12 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »

So ummm...i never heard of this show or this actor...and what would the Mt. Athos monks have to do with his Emmy win?  Maybe I'm cynical, but in the world of Hollywood, sometimes people see actors' religions as crazy (can you really blame the critics?).  So what makes this one any different if he acknowledges it no differently than how others do?  I don't mean to be criticize him for doing this.  I'm sure he is genuine in his glorification, and kudos for his spiritual journey.  At the same time, I'm not sure if the message really comes across well to others.

I don't know, this is just me seeing other hollywood (is he hollywood?) actors who might be misunderstood when publicly professing their religion in more detail than usual in thank you speeches.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Its an American tradition, we simply bond through  cutting satire, self-deprecating humor, and overly facetious criticism, our European friends call it American individualism Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Not here in the Deep South my friend. We actually tend to dislike such critters.

asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Here's the interview I did with him in February:  http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/02/27/from-general-hospital-to-the-hospital-of-souls-interview-with-jonathan-jackson/

And here's my brief reflection on his Emmy speech:  http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/06/25/orthodoxy-at-the-emmys/

One thing I found encouraging was that, after his speech, a bunch of people must have looked up what faith he belonged to, because the interview post I did back in February suddenly got a bunch of hits, with search terms all indicating that people wanted to know what he was talking about.  I also participate in some online fora that talk about Mr. Jackson (even though I've never seen any of his acting work), mainly to pick up conversations with people who are intrigued by his conversion.  They're out there, and they're asking questions.  So while some greet all this with cynicism, you should at least know that there are folks who, as a result of this, are finding out about our faith.

Anyway, for those who think it's all just a show, I encourage them to listen to the interview.  I was very much impressed when I met him that here was a man who was uninterested in fame and very much interested in pursuing holiness.

Or so it seemed to me.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:25:56 PM by asdamick » Logged

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »

Phew, it's even funnier that it's "sincere".
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

Here's the interview I did with him in February:  http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/02/27/from-general-hospital-to-the-hospital-of-souls-interview-with-jonathan-jackson/

And here's my brief reflection on his Emmy speech:  http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/06/25/orthodoxy-at-the-emmys/

One thing I found encouraging was that, after his speech, a bunch of people must have looked up what faith he belonged to, because the interview post I did back in February suddenly got a bunch of hits, with search terms all indicating that people wanted to know what he was talking about.

Anyway, for those who think it's all just a show, I encourage them to listen to the interview.  I was very much impressed when I met him that here was a man who was uninterested in fame and very much interested in pursuing holiness.

Or so it seemed to me.
Father bless,

I listened to the interview awhile back and it does seem he was pretty sincere about the faith.

On an unrelated note, are you writing another book?

PS Fantastic rebuttal to Driscoll on your Twitter. Had alot of laughs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:22:51 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »

Yes, I am.  Its purpose is to introduce Orthodoxy to the un-churched, ex-churched, de-churched, etc.

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

Yes, I am.  Its purpose is to introduce Orthodoxy to the un-churched, ex-churched, de-churched, etc.
Is there a release date planned? I know a few people that could profit from such a book.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »

Is there a release date planned? I know a few people that could profit from such a book.

Nothing is set yet, but Spring 2013 is possible.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

At the risk of getting laughed at as well, I found that acceptance speech -- along with the positive comments from some Orthodox who don't regard it as "pearls before swine" -- rather comforting.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »

I liked the invocation of the Trinity, but the Athos thing seemed bizarre. But that's probably me just being the panzy who'd never talk about religion in front of other people that I am.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »

I liked the invocation of the Trinity, but the Athos thing seemed bizarre. But that's probably me just being the panzy who'd never talk about religion in front of other people that I am.
I agree.  If it was just the Trinity, then fine.  But what does Mt. Athos have to do with his career? Perhaps, thanking his priest would suffice since he might have a direct relationship.

But in any case, i listened to the interview and I am impressed.  Very moving.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

Thank you very much, Father, for the link---a most interesting interview.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »

This guy is awesome.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 04:05:31 AM »

I rejoice in his conversion to Orthodoxy, and I applaud his boldness in publicly expressing his faith. However, I will pose this question: What do you think has more influence and effect upon society, this actor's 15 second testimony of his Orthodox faith or the hundreds of hours of a godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview? I hope that now that he's Orthodox he will find another career. OK, let the ridicule begin.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »

I rejoice in his conversion to Orthodoxy, and I applaud his boldness in publicly expressing his faith. However, I will pose this question: What do you think has more influence and effect upon society, this actor's 15 second testimony of his Orthodox faith or the hundreds of hours of a godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview? I hope that now that he's Orthodox he will find another career. OK, let the ridicule begin.
Dude, you wouldn't get ridiculed so much if you didn't ask for it. Wink
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »

Selam

Do you watch this soap opera?  If not, how do you know it portrays an anti-Christian worldview and is "godless?"  If you do, why do you watch a "godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview?"

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »

I listened to the interview last night and found it very moving and edifying.  Like some others here, I never heard of Jonathan Jackson before and I don't watch much TV, but I always enjoy conversion stories and found his to be compelling, unique, and conveyed with much feeling.  I was amazed to learn of a successful and wealthy actor who searched for truth with such a sense of desperation and fervor.  Of course, reading books isn't everything, but I was impressed was impressed with the number of books that he read as he was seeking the truth, and the obvious love of Orthodoxy which he expressed.  I also think Fr. Andrew conducted the interview very well. 

I admit that I do still wonder about the compatibility of acting and rock music performance with Orthodoxy in general, and not personally as it applies to Jonathan Jackson (I'm sure he will sort this out in his own life with his spiritual father).  There is much said in the canons and the Fathers that seems to prohibit both the participation in, and watching of, acting and theater by Christians.  Canon 51 of the Quinisext Ecumenical Council come to mind as one example:

Canon 51: The holy and ecumenical Council universally prohibits so-called pantomimes and their theatrical exhibitions; afterwards, in keeping with this, also the spectacles of wild-animal fury and of hunters’ prowess, and the execution of dances on the stage. If anyone flouts the present Canon, and gives himself over to any of the things herein prohibited, in case he is a clergyman, let him be deposed from office; but in case he is a layman, let him be excommunicated.

(cc. XXIV, LXII, LXVI of the 6th; cc. XVII, LXX of Carthage.)

Interpretation by St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain

With a vengeance the present Canon prohibits the doings of so-called pantomimes, some of whom were Arabs mimicking gestures, while others were Armenians, at other times slaves, sometimes even slapping each other’s face, and moving the spectators to uncontrollable laughter. What is here called "spectacles of wild-animal fury and of hunters’ prowess" as translated into English (though but two words in Greek, meaning, approximately, "hunting scenes" — translated, however, as above in order to bring out the implications more clearly) are the spectacles beheld when one sees wild beasts, such as, for instance, lion, say, or bears, or other savage animals, fighting, either among themselves, or with human beings who have been condemned to death. For it is a piece of great inhumanity and barbarity to look at such bloodshed and laugh at it. But in addition to these spectacles, the Canon also forbids dances and indecent wriggles performed whether by men or by women on the stage. The stage was a tent within which they used to engage in all kinds of theatrical presentations and pretenses, or where someone would stand up and display examples of skillful acting, according to Title XIII of Photius, ch. 21, and hence they are called actors who at times pretend that they are masters or lords, and at other times that they are slaves or servants. As for anyone that flouts the present Canon and gives himself to watching such displays, if he be a clergyman, let him be deposed from office, but if he be a layman, let him be excommunicated. Read also c. XXIV of the same 6th.

On the other hand, what successful actor would give up acting if doing so was a condition for entering the Orthodox Church? 

I realize some may respond with a mocking attitude towards the Spirit-inspired canons and the writings of the Fathers on the subject of acting, but I really would appreciate a mature and profitable discussion of this subject, with reference to the canons and writings of the Fathers, if such a discussion is not too much to expect in this forum.   For instance, it would be beneficial to discuss what has been said in Orthodox tradition about acting, whether such words pertain to acting in general or a particular kind of acting that was done at the time when such prohibitive words were expressed, what is it about acting that makes it unsuitable for Christians, etc. 
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »

I listened to the interview last night and found it very moving and edifying.  Like some others here, I never heard of Jonathan Jackson before and I don't watch much TV, but I always enjoy conversion stories and found his to be compelling, unique, and conveyed with much feeling.  I was amazed to learn of a successful and wealthy actor who searched for truth with such a sense of desperation and fervor.  Of course, reading books isn't everything, but I was impressed was impressed with the number of books that he read as he was seeking the truth, and the obvious love of Orthodoxy which he expressed.  I also think Fr. Andrew conducted the interview very well. 

I admit that I do still wonder about the compatibility of acting and rock music performance with Orthodoxy in general, and not personally as it applies to Jonathan Jackson (I'm sure he will sort this out in his own life with his spiritual father).  There is much said in the canons and the Fathers that seems to prohibit both the participation in, and watching of, acting and theater by Christians.  Canon 51 of the Quinisext Ecumenical Council come to mind as one example:

Canon 51: The holy and ecumenical Council universally prohibits so-called pantomimes and their theatrical exhibitions; afterwards, in keeping with this, also the spectacles of wild-animal fury and of hunters’ prowess, and the execution of dances on the stage. If anyone flouts the present Canon, and gives himself over to any of the things herein prohibited, in case he is a clergyman, let him be deposed from office; but in case he is a layman, let him be excommunicated.

With a vengeance the present Canon prohibits the doings of so-called pantomimes, some of whom were Arabs mimicking gestures, while others were Armenians, at other times slaves, sometimes even slapping each other’s face, and moving the spectators to uncontrollable laughter. What is here called "spectacles of wild-animal fury and of hunters’ prowess" as translated into English (though but two words in Greek, meaning, approximately, "hunting scenes" — translated, however, as above in order to bring out the implications more clearly) are the spectacles beheld when one sees wild beasts, such as, for instance, lion, say, or bears, or other savage animals, fighting, either among themselves, or with human beings who have been condemned to death. For it is a piece of great inhumanity and barbarity to look at such bloodshed and laugh at it. But in addition to these spectacles, the Canon also forbids dances and indecent wriggles performed whether by men or by women on the stage. The stage was a tent within which they used to engage in all kinds of theatrical presentations and pretenses, or where someone would stand up and display examples of skillful acting, according to Title XIII of Photius, ch. 21, and hence they are called actors who at times pretend that they are masters or lords, and at other times that they are slaves or servants. As for anyone that flouts the present Canon and gives himself to watching such displays, if he be a clergyman, let him be deposed from office, but if he be a layman, let him be excommunicated. Read also c. XXIV of the same 6th.

On the other hand, what successful actor would give up acting if doing so was a condition for entering the Orthodox Church? 

I realize some may respond with a mocking attitude towards the Spirit-inspired canons and the writings of the Fathers on the subject of acting, but I really would appreciate a mature and profitable discussion of this subject, with reference to the canons and writings of the Fathers, if such a discussion is not too much to expect in this forum.   For instance, it would be beneficial to discuss what has been said in Orthodox tradition about acting, whether such words pertain to acting in general or a particular kind of acting that was done at the time when such prohibitive words were expressed, what is it about acting that makes it unsuitable for Christians, etc. 

Where would "rock" music fit in with this canon? Rock is merely a style, albeit one with certain cultural connections that might make some uncomfortable, but that hardly seems to be the case anymore. Does anyone truly find "rock" to be "rebellious"? At any rate, "indie rock" is entirely different which is what Mr. Jackson apparently plays.

Let us not forget that David was a singer-songwriter  Cool "Psalm 144:9 I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee."
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 01:16:09 PM »

I'm sure that's something he and his spiritual father have discussed or continue to do so.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »

Where would "rock" music fit in with this canon? Rock is merely a style, albeit one with certain cultural connections that might make some uncomfortable, but that hardly seems to be the case anymore. Does anyone truly find "rock" to be "rebellious"? At any rate, "indie rock" is entirely different which is what Mr. Jackson apparently plays.

Don't forget that interview with the guys from The Byrds, and how the interviewer castigated him as an evil, heretical rocker.  Wink

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »

I think that canons need to be considered not only on their formulation and intent, but also in the context of the times when they were drawn up. That said, I believe it a fact that until the 19th Century, most entertainers were also prostitutes--both male and female.

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »

Interesting question.  I was more interested in St. Nikodemus' interpretation than the canon itself.  It's easy to think that something inappropriate usually happened in the stage.  I can pretty much summarize St. Nikodemus' commentary by quoting certain sentences:

Arabs mimicking gestures, while others were Armenians, at other times slaves, sometimes even slapping each other’s face, and moving the spectators to uncontrollable laughter...

...For it is a piece of great inhumanity and barbarity to look at such bloodshed and laugh at it.

the Canon also forbids dances and indecent wriggles performed whether by men or by women on the stage

Indecency and barbaric acts on stage seem to be something common in the stage at the time.  Today barbaric acts are faked well, so no bloodshed or harm should be done really, neither do I think anyone of the right mind would laugh at something serious, unless it was intentionally comical.  The indecency part however is another issue in today's society.

Nevertheless, one can ask if St. Nikodemus was also correct in interpreting this.  He was a man who lived in the 18th Century commenting about a canon centuries before him.  And if he is, would the acting in the 18th century be something different than back then?  What would he have done for those acting in his time?  Would he depose a priest for taking his family to a Broadway musical?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:43:55 PM by minasoliman » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »

Guess I'm incorrigible. I like movies and plays.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »

Anathema!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

Anathema!

Thank you.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

Just in case it's not clear, I was being sarcastic and am on your side.

I often worry about people who fret about enforcing canons such as those prohibiting chariot races and the theatre when we cannot even convince our faithful of the necessity of receiving the Precious Gifts on more than a yearly basis and with due decorum.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »

Point taken.   Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

Selam

Do you watch this soap opera?  If not, how do you know it portrays an anti-Christian worldview and is "godless?"  If you do, why do you watch a "godless soap opera which portrays a morality that runs contrary to an Orthodox worldview?"

Nope, don't watch it. I apologize for mischaracterizing the show. Glad to know that today's soap opera's are portraying godly virtues. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to tune in now.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

I like all kinds of movies, tv shows, plays, and various forms of art, even if they are not overtly Christian. But I would not want to make a living making art that was corrosive to the Christian values I hold dear. But that's just me. Like I said earlier, I applaud this young man for his boldness and sincerity. It seems he is new to the Faith, so it may take some time for him to realize that his current career may not be spritually profitable to others.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: