OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a prayerbook  (Read 1091 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »

I am looking for a prayerbook that contains standard morning prayers, evening prayers which utilize the following form: trisagion, troop aria, st macarius prayer, st Antiochus prayer, holy spirit prayer, st macarius prayer, etc.

I'd also like prayers for the table, for the sick, the deceased, prayers before and after communion.

Thanks.

Tasting is Believing
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

Jordanville Prayer book is the option for you if you do not mind them being a little bit longer.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »

My two suggestions:

Little Red Prayer Book (Antiochian)
Old Orthodox Prayer Book (Russisan Old Believer)

Each of these books have been reviewed multiple times on the forum.  The Old Orthodox Prayer Book, is my choice.  But I do attend an Antiochian church...

Also, Big Chris I'm walking with you.  I have been following your posts&there are a number of points that stand with my own inquiry.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »

Fr Anthony Coniaris has a good, doctrinally sound, comprehensive & friendly prayerbook:   http://www.amazon.com/My-Daily-Orthodox-Prayer-Book/dp/B0010AYQN6
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:16:48 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »

Margarita's suggestions are very good, I like both of those. Same with JamesR. The Jordanville (i.e., Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY) prayer book is my standard, though I have say I like the Prayer Book put out by St. Tikhon's Press, as well. Both follow the Russian tradition in morning/evening prayers, which is what you seem to be asking for. I don't know much about non-Slavic private devotions for morning/evening, so I can't speak to that.

I also have to recommend the little red Antiochian prayer book, as well. It's very portable, and has a lot of nice, short occasional prayers (i.e., for meals, travel, illness, the departed etc.) as well as a neat little confession guide based on the 10 commandments, which is my usual go-to guide. Though, the morning/evening prayers are on the "side of brevity" as one Antiochian priest once said to me about way they approach prayer in general (lol) and so it won't include all those numbered prayers like in the Jordanville or STS prayer books.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Margarita
One

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »

Though, the morning/evening prayers are on the "side of brevity" as one Antiochian priest once said to me about way they approach prayer in general (lol)

This is exactly why I follow the Old Orthodox Prayer Book!  I want, I need substance when I pray.  Anything else, I don't understand.  In fact, it offends, IMHO.  Glory, the church I attend is quite thick in substance during verspers&DL.  It is great for all the other points you mentioned.

Holy Trinity Monastery&St. Tikhon is next on my list.  I've heard great reviews...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:23 PM »

Though, the morning/evening prayers are on the "side of brevity" as one Antiochian priest once said to me about way they approach prayer in general (lol)

This is exactly why I follow the Old Orthodox Prayer Book!  I want, I need substance when I pray.  Anything else, I don't understand.  In fact, it offends, IMHO.  Glory, the church I attend is quite thick in substance during verspers&DL.  It is great for all the other points you mentioned.

Holy Trinity Monastery&St. Tikhon is next on my list.  I've heard great reviews...

I understand! Though, I have to admit that I do use the Antiochian morning/evening prayers when I need to utilize "brevity" for one reason or another (such as being lazy and then not having the time I should've devoted to my prayers). I like the prayers the book uses, I just prefer the fuller version found in the Russian books.

I love my Jordanville, though I've been considering a switch to the STS prayer book. I hesitate because the translation is a bit different and I don't usually like switching to other translations, but the STS book provides forms for commemorating things American (such as in civil authorities and the OCA Metropolitan and one's diocesan bishop) instead of for the ROCOR hierarchy and prayers for the Russian diaspora. I love ROCOR, but I'm not in ROCOR, nor am I ethnically Russian. I already re-phrase or omit those prayers anyway...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Margarita
One

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »

I understand! Though, I have to admit that I do use the Antiochian morning/evening prayers when I need to utilize "brevity" for one reason or another (such as being lazy and then not having the time I should've devoted to my prayers). I like the prayers the book uses, I just prefer the fuller version found in the Russian books.

It's great for those moments of sickness, laziness, lack of time etc.  Short&Sweet   I can relate to your feelings for the roundness of the Russian texts, I like that part very much.  I am very curious to attend a service at my local ROCOR church, it's just outside the city limit.  Soon I hope!

I love my Jordanville, though I've been considering a switch to the STS prayer book. I hesitate because the translation is a bit different and I don't usually like switching to other translations, but the STS book provides forms for commemorating things American (such as in civil authorities and the OCA Metropolitan and one's diocesan bishop) instead of for the ROCOR hierarchy and prayers for the Russian diaspora. I love ROCOR, but I'm not in ROCOR, nor am I ethnically Russian. I already re-phrase or omit those prayers anyway...

The STS prayerbook is the recommendation of my priest, that I use.  I'm going to give it a try.  Yeah, changing translations can be a pain in the beginning.  The small difference between the Old Russian&Antiochian prayerbook can be felt, especially during service.  I'm not Russian nor do I attended the ROCOR or OCA churches, although I would if they were readily available here.  Nonetheless, as of now I pray for all Metropolitans&Bishops&Brethren.
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »

Another choice is this one from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese.

I got mine in the St.Photios Bookstore in St. Augustine FL many years ago and it is usually found in most church bookstores or at Light & Life.  It's a great book, using modern English, unlike the Antiochian Prayerbook.  However, the latter fits in my back pocket (has a stapled binding rather than a paperback book glued binding)  The Greek Archdiocese book is about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick and doesn't travel well in a back pocket like the Little Red Book; plus the LRB has more and varied prayers and the entire Divine Litrugy, by the use of rather small type.  But I always have it with me.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:53:55 PM »

anyone have a link to the STS prayerbook? Is that the St. Tikhons? I didnt see it on their web site. IS it called something else?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

This one is becoming very popular for those who do not want victorian english, but want respectful english:

http://www.allsaintsofalaska.ca/index.php/the-orthodox-prayer-book

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »

anyone have a link to the STS prayerbook? Is that the St. Tikhons? I didnt see it on their web site. IS it called something else?

http://www.stspress.com/products-page/books/orthodox-daily-prayers/

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

This one is becoming very popular for those who do not want victorian english, but want respectful english:

That shipping price is a dagger.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »

I didn't realize it was bad. You should have asked me to send you one. Tongue
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:39:24 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:43 AM »

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »

My priest snagged a bunch at the OCA Sobor, I think.  Grin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »

Hook a brotha up??

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:43 AM »

Hook a brotha up??

Don't you already have it?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »

I want a second copy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »

You should see what shipping usually is from US to Canada. It verges on criminal. Fortunately, I'm less than a half hour from the border. I have a daughter-in-law who lives in Canada but continues to work in US (US born). She maintains a PO box in the US and I have things shipped there. In fact, later this morning I'm off to meet her to pick up some books I ordered. For church orders, we have them shipped to a church in Niagara Falls, NY. Bringing them across the border that way usually avoids customs fees as well, especially if it's a relatively small amount.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

http://www.stspress.com/products-page/books/orthodox-daily-prayers/

thanks. i was looking at the wrong thing!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: