Author Topic: Unusual chotki  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
Unusual chotki
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
A friend of mine just got back from his monastery in Ukraine and brought me a rather unusual present (sorry for the bad picture quality).

Anyone seen anything similar before? I thought some of the metal-heads on here might appreciate it.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Unusual chotki
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
This could well be the infamous "Kali-Chotki", obscure references to which can be found in the fragments of an ancient tantra (written on human skin) which were uncovered in northern India in 1935. From the few details available, scholars speculate that chanting a certain mantra upon the rope- possibly "namo mahakali"- 3,000 times in quick succession would unleash some unspeakable calamity or open some gate. Key to the rope's power is the tiny skull which, while apparently wooden, is in fact the miniaturized skull of the accursed sorcerous tantrika who wove the rope from the hair of his murdered disciples before finally consecrating himself to the hideous relic. After the rest of his cult was massacred by the order of the Raj, the Kali-Chotki disappeared for several centuries until, it was rumored, some wayward monk of Rus', perhaps straining too eagerly for mystical experience, procured it during travels through the Orient. Bringing it to his home monastery, his brother monks quickly recognized the eldritch peril represented by the thing and unceremoniously buried the monk alive with his evil souvenir.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:04:52 PM by Iconodule »

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
maybe the skull  is symbolic of 'dying to the world".
Proverbs 22:7

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
This could well be the infamous "Kali-Chotki", obscure references to which can be found in the fragments of an ancient tantra (written on human skin) which were uncovered in northern India in 1935. From the few details available, scholars speculate that chanting a certain mantra upon the rope- possibly "namo mahakali"- 3,000 times in quick succession would unleash some unspeakable calamity or open some gate. Key to the rope's power is the tiny skull which, while apparently wooden, is in fact the miniaturized skull of the accursed sorcerous tantrika who wove the rope from the hair of his murdered disciples before finally consecrating himself to the hideous relic. After the rest of his cult was massacred by the order of the Raj, the Kali-Chotki disappeared for several centuries until, it was rumored, some wayward monk of Rus', perhaps straining too eagerly for mystical experience, procured it during travels through the Orient. Bringing it to his home monastery, his brother monks quickly recognized the eldritch peril represented by the thing and unceremoniously buried the monk alive with his evil souvenir.

FANTASTIC.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »
maybe the skull  is symbolic of 'dying to the world".

I think it's just Golgotha with the Cross on top (like on a schema), with the added bonus of remembrance of death. But Iconodule's take on it is far more interesting, and is definitely what I will tell anyone who might ask in future.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
Never seen such prayer rope before! I would agree with Orthodox11 interpretation.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria