OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Share Your Pity-Party Here!  (Read 5497 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »

*Sigh* why is it that all of the Orthodox countries have to have lousy food? I mean, I'm a Mexican. Your food is an abomination to me.

Might I suggest you to (possibly) the pinnacle of food, Greece and greek food

(this is coming from one that adores mexican food as well)

SCREW BON JOVI!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »

Nobody I know likes baseball so I can't talk to anyone about it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

None of my E-bay items are selling and I'm not sure how I'm going to make rent, since my student loan money was far less this year than it was last year. They offered me a work-study grant to make up the difference, but I don't know where I can work since I'm injured so I can't be on my feet for more than 10-15 minutes at a time without needing to lean on something and not move for a while/sit down. Bah. All the library reference and other "sitting" jobs are already taken by perfectly able-bodied people who just want to be able to sit around reading books or doing homework for the majority of their day while getting paid for it. Hmm.

Also, baseball is over already here since I don't get cable so I can't watch either of my bay area teams (I just get texts from my father, who watches all the Giants and A's games...lucky), and the Cubs sucked so hard this season that WGN is done with baseball now. Dammit, Castro.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »

*Sigh* why is it that all of the Orthodox countries have to have lousy food? I mean, I'm a Mexican. Your food is an abomination to me.

Shocked You are?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

None of my E-bay items are selling and I'm not sure how I'm going to make rent, since my student loan money was far less this year than it was last year. They offered me a work-study grant to make up the difference, but I don't know where I can work since I'm injured so I can't be on my feet for more than 10-15 minutes at a time without needing to lean on something and not move for a while/sit down. Bah. All the library reference and other "sitting" jobs are already taken by perfectly able-bodied people who just want to be able to sit around reading books or doing homework for the majority of their day while getting paid for it. Hmm.
I posted tutoring fliers around my campus when I was near graduation and got a few $20's that way. Maybe you can do that or get some friends to do that, then meet somewhere where you can sit like the library or a coffee shop.  Either way, praying things work out sooner for you rather than later.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

Thanks, Anastasia1. Unfortunately, there is virtually no market for such things here, as tutoring is offered in all subjects on campus through contracted tutors, who are paid through either the graduate office (they've already got several tutors for linguistics, and I don't know much else) or some sort of separate tutoring office. I can't remember.

James: There are Orthodox churches in Mexico, if you really can't bear to go to a church that doesn't make the same food you already get at home, flojito. Tongue

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I have more formal education than most BS/BA graduates and still cannot afford to move out of home, even though I am cheap.
My mom will be on oxygen soon and will eventually die of a terminal condition while dealing with chronic illness in the meantime.
I have really bad asthma and work in a place that is is not so great for my lungs. I need a better job so I can move to a healthier place.
I need a good man with whom I have mutual interest and a future, and I need to find and use the right chance to learn a foreign language.
Either I have posture issues or chronic migraine or something, but I cannot go more than a couple days without a one-sided headache. This has been the case for over a decade.

You and about 15 MILLION other 25-30 year old college graduates Wink

Its nothing personal, that is how economic cycles work, an eb and flow.  In the downtime, folks need to concentrate and what God allows them.  Are we supporting our families, friends, households, and communities socially, psychologically, spiritually, emotionally, and by physically lending a hand whenever or however we are able? Money isn't everything, and the economic model of go to school, get a job, move out, start a family isn't exactly viable these days. In truth it is relative, in Chicano and Latino culture I know plenty of folks in the early to mid-20s whose parents WON'T let them move out if they wanted to!  

angel All my gripe belongs in the politics section  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »

I wish my grandmother had done more to teach my dad and his brother the cultural values like that. It'd be nice to live at home again and not worry, at least for a little while... Grin

(Okay, kidding, kidding. Well, sort of...haha.)

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I have more formal education than most BS/BA graduates and still cannot afford to move out of home, even though I am cheap.
My mom will be on oxygen soon and will eventually die of a terminal condition while dealing with chronic illness in the meantime.
I have really bad asthma and work in a place that is is not so great for my lungs. I need a better job so I can move to a healthier place.
I need a good man with whom I have mutual interest and a future, and I need to find and use the right chance to learn a foreign language.
Either I have posture issues or chronic migraine or something, but I cannot go more than a couple days without a one-sided headache. This has been the case for over a decade.

You and about 15 MILLION other 25-30 year old college graduates Wink

Its nothing personal, that is how economic cycles work, an eb and flow.  In the downtime, folks need to concentrate and what God allows them.  Are we supporting our families, friends, households, and communities socially, psychologically, spiritually, emotionally, and by physically lending a hand whenever or however we are able? Money isn't everything, and the economic model of go to school, get a job, move out, start a family isn't exactly viable these days. In truth it is relative, in Chicano and Latino culture I know plenty of folks in the early to mid-20s whose parents WON'T let them move out if they wanted to!  

angel All my gripe belongs in the politics section  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I take it you are currently employed?

Otherwise, I think you are 100% correct.  These days it's all about family and friends.  Networked tribes, yo.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »

May I offer you some mämmi?

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

Most Mexican food is too overly salty for my taste. And fatty.

Forgive my sins.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

What is that, the aftermath of a Mexican dinner?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »

You want beans, pork and flat bread with cilantro? Try Georgian food.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »

Nobody I know likes baseball so I can't talk to anyone about it.

You could whack them with a baseball bat to get them more interested

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »

Shocked You are?

He could go on Next Food Network Star and mention each episode that he's Mexican, like Debbie the Korean did. And then he could turn everything into Mexican food.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »

Why do I get the feeling it's not chocolate pudding?

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »

Why do I get the feeling it's not chocolate pudding?

It's chocolate pudding if you want it to be.

I'm going to need this.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 02:31:11 AM »

What is that, the aftermath of a Mexican dinner?

A Finnish delicacy. Grin

I guess it's basically a sweetened rye porridge. Originally it was a lenten food but nowadays it's mostly eate just around (Western) Easter. Here's Wikipedia entry.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »

You don't like gyros?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »

You don't like gyros?

Maybe he's never had good gyros. Bad gyros are really, really bad.

Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

Agreed -- bad gyros (hint: if all the slices of meat are roughly the same shape, they are bad gyros) are awful! Decent gyros are great, though after seeing an episode of "Diners, Drive-In and Dives" on the Food Network apparently I have never had *real* gyros!

That is, the best I have had, they slice the meat off the rotating spit (no idea what it's called) but it is still pre-formed meat, not a stack of alternating beef and lamb like the place they had on the show. So I can only imagine what the real deal is like...

Sorry if I just stirred up the passion of gluttony in anyone   Embarrassed

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »

Agreed -- bad gyros (hint: if all the slices of meat are roughly the same shape, they are bad gyros) are awful! Decent gyros are great, though after seeing an episode of "Diners, Drive-In and Dives" on the Food Network apparently I have never had *real* gyros!

That is, the best I have had, they slice the meat off the rotating spit (no idea what it's called) but it is still pre-formed meat, not a stack of alternating beef and lamb like the place they had on the show. So I can only imagine what the real deal is like...

Sorry if I just stirred up the passion of gluttony in anyone   Embarrassed

You did.  First post in and you already show yourself to be an evil evil man.   Wink

Welcome!
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Thanks and forgive me. My excuse is that the church I grew up going to looks like this:

When right across the street there is a church that looks like this:

So is it any wonder I turned out like this?  laugh

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

Thanks and forgive me. My excuse is that the church I grew up going to looks like this:

It really is amazing how many public libraries end up getting turned into churches.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

It really is amazing how many public libraries end up getting turned into churches.

Praise the Lord, oftentimes many Churches become so spiritually deprived they are essentially just libraries Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

I was thinking "gym" for mine  Roll Eyes

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »

I haven't worked out since Monday...and ran since Monday either (excluding training yesterday, I do not count that). Sad

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: