OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 08:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholics  (Read 4394 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »

I don't like the term "Roman Catholic" because it was invented by Anglicans in an attempt to claim that their catholicity is on par with ours.

To be fair, though, it isn't unheard of for an opponent-given-name to later become standard. (For example, "Lutheran" and "Methodist" are both opponent-given-names.)

I wonder how would you explain the usage of the term "Roman Catholics" in countries where there are no Anglicans. What international conspiracy would you find?

Anglicans are responsible for the English term "Roman Catholics". Other groups are responsible for the comparable term in other languages.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »

I don't like the term "Roman Catholic" because it was invented by Anglicans in an attempt to claim that their catholicity is on par with ours.

To be fair, though, it isn't unheard of for an opponent-given-name to later become standard. (For example, "Lutheran" and "Methodist" are both opponent-given-names.)

I wonder how would you explain the usage of the term "Roman Catholics" in countries where there are no Anglicans. What international conspiracy would you find?

Anglicans are responsible for the English term "Roman Catholics". Other groups are responsible for the comparable term in other languages.

You also need to blame many popes for this term as well.  Many documents by the Vatican contain just such language.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

Other groups are responsible for the comparable term in other languages.

What other groups? Jews? Homosexuals? Freemasons? Illuminati?
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »

I think 2pac is to blame for the title
Of Roman Catholic.......makaveli? Caluminati? City of LA? All eyez on me?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »

Klingons.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

Of course, if we want to really be consistent, then we shouldn't say that the term "Christians" originated in first-century Antioch, but rather that it is the English equivalent of a term that originated in first-century Antioch.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:56:18 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »

Maybe we should just change it to "Church of The Way" then, as the name "Christian" is clearly an innovation  Grin

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
tkirn1

Faith: Roman Catholic; looking into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of St. Louis

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

In my opinion, I think that the adoption of "Roman Catholic" developed to differentiate the followers of Rome from other Christians following the Reformation and other divisions.

It is unfortunate that Catholicism was systematized and formed into a "central bureaucracy" throughout the Middle Ages and into the Modern era; the ancient sees which had retained their own rites of Mass, such as Lyon, Milan, Toledo, Sarum, York, and others lost their predominance, due to canons in the Council of Trent.

As a result, the usages of these Churches have almost been lost in contemporary society and hinder the local revitalization of Western Christianity on the part of most Catholics who are insistent to always look to Rome for every answer.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: