OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 03:04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was Baptised  (Read 889 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 24, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »

Well, yesterday (June 23rd) I was finally Baptised and Chrismated into the Church and so I feel like I should probably make some bloggish post here about my story so here goes. Well, I was extremely nervous yesterday, but I kept my composure. I got a haircut in the morning, wore new clothes, got all my stuff ready and at around 4:30PM I showed up at my Church with my family and we immediately started because I was like twenty minutes late and they still had to do Vespers that night.

I introduced my parents to my godparents and they surprisingly got along quite well, and my godparents shined some light upon Orthodoxy for them. As my Baptismal service began, I was extremely nervous; nervous because of my parents. I was not sure at all how they were going to react to this and I knew that they already disapproved of and/or had negative feelings about my Baptism. Either way, there was no going back.

Surprisingly, they took it greater than I thought, and I think that they may not be as hostile anymore toward Orthodoxy. They at least seem more open minded. Anyway, I kept looking back toward my mother several times in between everything because I was nervous and she smiled at me every time. So, her support felt nice for once. She also seemed to like the Icons and setting of the room, the 'decorations' as she phrased them.

When the Baptism moment finally came and I got into the tank, it really took me by surprise; I never had a moment to inhale a big breath in preparation before going under. My Priest immediately dunked me the first and second time, and then on the final third time I felt afraid because I really wanted air. The whole thing was rather humorous. I came up hysterically gasping for air and the first thing I hear my Priest say is 'It is done James! Are you excited?' with everyone laughing at my in the background.

I felt pretty happy at that moment, but I was in a hurry to get back into my clothes. Seeing that I'm about five to fifteen pounds overweight (something I need to work on losing) I felt rather insecure about exposing myself without a shirt on. So I got out of the tank, dried myself off with a towel an alter server gave me and then went over to the bathroom to dry off and change back into my clothes. I then put on my white Baptismal gown (which was pretty comfortable by the way; I could have fallen asleep in it) and returned back and we began the Chrismation process.

I was feeling pretty pumped by this time, and less nervous about my parents. They seemed awe struck by everything at this time, but in a good way. The Chrismation was something that bothered me. My Priest really took his time with this and the olive oil all over my face and neck began to bother me. I don't know how many times I wanted to wipe it off and almost did indeed wipe it off by mistake. Anyway, when that was finished we processed around the alter a few times, then my Priest went up on the alter, gave me one final lesson about keeping my garment clean in the day of judgment, and then it was done. I am an Orthodox Christian.

Afterward, we spent about half an hour at Church before we left. I introduced my family to all of my friends and I have to say, I really appreciate how out of their way everyone in my Church went to be kind and friendly to my family in hopes of giving them a good impression of Orthodoxy. Everybody gave me a hug and congratulated me and all, we all took a lot of pictures and I even got a few cards and presents from my friends. All in all, I got a prayer rope, $50, a few cards, an icon of St. George from Moscow, engraved money clip and of course my Baptismal cross. My Icon of my patron won't be here for a few weeks because my Priest and godfather had to order it online from somewhere far away.

After we left the Church, said good byes and everything, my mother drove me to this nice steakhouse which was about an hour away and we celebrated with a nice dinner. All in all, it was a good day. Earlier this morning I also received the Eucharist for the first time and that was perhaps the most anticipated moment in my life. I was looking more forward to this than the actual Baptism.

During the Liturgy, my father unexpectedly showed up halfway in between because he said that he wanted to watch me commune for the first time. I was pretty nervous, but, he actually seemed happy and unlike in the past where he seemed to hate Orthodox services, he seemed pretty happy and curious. And told me that he was in no rush and to calm down. When the Anaphora began, the suspense was killing me. Minutes felt like hours and seconds like minutes. Time seemed so slow. I was nervous because I wanted the moment to finally come, yet at the same time I did not want it to because of fear. When it finally did come, I was shaking and stuttering from the fear and nervousness when I approached with my godparents to receive the Eucharist, and it was pretty amazing.

James

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »

Congratulations and Many Years!!
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »

I am VERY happy for you.  God grant you many years!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »

Mazel tov.  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »

Tant' Aguri allu servu di Diu, JamesR! AXIOS AXIOS AXIOS!

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever!
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »

God grant you many years, James!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »

Congratulations to you James!  Many years to you!

It sounds like your dad has a growing curiosity Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

Wow James awesome story, thank you for sharing. Congratulations again and many years!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »

Many years, JamesR

Now the journey begins. I know we'll continue to hear from you. You will remain in my prayers.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »

May God grant you good illumination, Augustine!

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »

Wonderful story, congratulations and again Many Years. Smiley

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

I know I like to give you a hard time on here, but that still doesn't change the fact that I'm glad you stuck it out and took those last steps.  I'm even more elated that your parents have appeared to accept everything as best they can and are being more supportive.

May the good Lord bless you and your family on this happy day.   Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 11:58:47 PM »

Wow, thanks for sharing! You're truly an inspiration. Many years, God bless you!

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »

Monia armorikkaita vuosia!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »

Glory to God! Thanks for sharing this beautiful story of your Baptism. I rejoice with you, and I am so happy to hear that your parents were supportive. Wonderful! Now the struggle truly begins, but you are equipped with all the spiritual weapons necessary for victory. Many Years!

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »

Many years James. Im glad it worked out with your parents Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »

You've described your receiving into Orthodox Church so beautifully, although it's not so easy to write about so personal and spiritual experience!
Glory to God you're finally baptised without any problems!
I can imagine you're nervous about parents, as I had a little similar situation with my mother before my chrismation.
Many years to you, your priests, godparents and parents!

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »

Many years, James! I'm glad your parents seem to be coming around. It is certainly easier (I know from experience) when your parents accept your conversion even if they don't wholeheartedly applaud it.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »

It was great to hear your family was supportive and receptive.  Who knows, due to your example, this could be their first step. Many years and God bless.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »

Dear James,

Chronia Polla! 

I liked reading your story, and am glad you have joyous memories of the first day of your life in Christ.

love, elephant. 
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »

Many years! Great story, and I'm glad that your parents seemed less hostile  Smiley

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 02:29:36 AM »

oh WOW! James that was a beautiful and joyous story, I totally enjoyed reading it, Glory be to God! Congratulations and may God grant you many years my brother.  Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: