OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 12:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was Christ writing on the ground?  (Read 2391 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »

Very interesting. What part of Tradition did this come from?

Then the legislator of morality and human conduct stooped down to the ground, smoothed out the dust with the palm of His hand, and began to write (John 8:6). What did the Lord write in the dust? The Evangelist maintains silence concerning this and does not write of it. It was too repulsive and vile to be written in the Book of Joy. However, this has been present in tradition, and it is horrible. The Lord wrote something unexpected and startling for the elders, the accusers of the sinful woman. With His finger He disclosed their secret iniquities. For these pointers-out of the sins of others were experts in concealing their own sins. But it is pointless to try to hide anything from the eyes of One Who sees all.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »

The Oral Tradition of the Antiochian Church from the Apostolic Era relates that Jesus wrote the names of the woman's accusers, most of whom did not know Jesus personally, and their most secret sin, in the dust with His finger.  Shocked

This astounding feat both shocked and publicly embarrassed them, since they didn't understand how Christ could possess such knowledge of their secret wrongdoings.  Undecided

As a result, the crowd quickly dispersed in shame, and the woman was spared.  Cool   

+Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »

I remember learning an interesting thing about this incident. Under the law the woman alone could not have been accused as it was required that both parties involved in the act of adultery were brought for judgement. Then both would be judged and punished according to the law.

If by the time of Christ, the adherrence to the law had been so corrupted that in such cases only the woman should be brought forward for judgement, it's another instance of the Pharisees getting a shock that Christ wouldn't go along with their twisted and prejudiced concept of the law. Christ was constantly at odds with the religious leaders about their corruption of the law; their additions to it that made it a burden, especially for those lacking social influence and the poor. This case is as blatantly unjust as the other times when Christ clashes with the religious leaders and almost has a hint of conspiracy about it.

If Christ had agreed that the woman should be punished without the male also being punished, He would have been guilty of breaking the true Law and then the religious leaders would at last have had something solid to accuse Him of. On the other hand, as He refused to comply with the Pharisaic and corrupted interpretation of that law, He again publically put them in their place and made even more bitter enemies of them. 

As the woman was actually caught in the act of adultery, where was the male she committed the act with? Why wasn't he brought for judgement? Would the religious leaders have gone so far as to contrive this situation? Did they hate Christ that much and long to be rid of Him? Obviously, we can't know, but I wonder if Jesus, knowing this was a set-up, wrote the very requirements of the law? Seeing that their plan to ensnare Him had failed, they simply melted away.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »

Reminds me of the many other places where the finger of God has written, such as the Ten Commandments, the law written on the hearts of everyone and then we might also recall the writing on the wall.

Forgive, John

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »

The Oral Tradition of the Antiochian Church from the Apostolic Era relates that Jesus wrote the names of the woman's accusers, most of whom did not know Jesus personally, and their most secret sin, in the dust with His finger.  Shocked

This astounding feat both shocked and publicly embarrassed them, since they didn't understand how Christ could possess such knowledge of their secret wrongdoings.  Undecided

As a result, the crowd quickly dispersed in shame, and the woman was spared.  Cool   

+Cosmos

That pretty much sums up every homily I've ever heard on the subject.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:49 AM »

Selam  Smiley
I realise this is an old thread, but i saw it when it came as a tag when i was reading orthodox writting thread and i just want to add what i have learnt on this matter in the Ethio Tradition. it is that not only the Lord wrote each one of their most hidden sins to each one by their name but the Lord the lover of mankind was merciful on them and He hid each one's sin from the other and revealed it only to the man, so they each saw different things, but they all saw their sins that only they knew about and terrified and shamed they left. He hid their sins from others for them you see how generous and kind He is?  its the same when we tell the priests our sins , it will not be repeated to anyone, as the Lord dealt with each one separately to abate their madness, in the same manner priests do not disclose the sin of another told in the mystery of confession, to correct someone else's. well there is a lot more we can learn from this but I just wanted to add that bit of info for those who might get to read this thread like I did.

selam to all  Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:38:02 AM »

Selam  Smiley
I realise this is an old thread, but i saw it when it came as a tag when i was reading orthodox writting thread and i just want to add what i have learnt on this matter in the Ethio Tradition. it is that not only the Lord wrote each one of their most hidden sins to each one by their name but the Lord the lover of mankind was merciful on them and He hid each one's sin from the other and revealed it only to the man, so they each saw different things, but they all saw their sins that only they knew about and terrified and shamed they left. He hid their sins from others for them you see how generous and kind He is?  its the same when we tell the priests our sins , it will not be repeated to anyone, as the Lord dealt with each one separately to abate their madness, in the same manner priests do not disclose the sin of another told in the mystery of confession, to correct someone else's. well there is a lot more we can learn from this but I just wanted to add that bit of info for those who might get to read this thread like I did.

selam to all  Smiley

Thank you Hiwot! That is wonderful and true!

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

On a mural painting on the west wall of the Altar of the Narga Selassie monastery on Lake Tana in Ethiopia is depicted this scene of Christ, the woman and her accusers.  He is portrayed stooped down and there are four small sentences written in Amharic, however the photo-copy I have is not clear enough to make out the smaller print of what He is writing.  I will look into it, I only posted this out of coincidence because I have for a long time wondered what exactly was written on this painting/icon and I saw this thread.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:25:11 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »

It strikes me as interesting and instructive, that the Judge of all wrote their names and sins in dust…not stone, or on paper.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »

It strikes me as interesting and instructive, that the Judge of all wrote their names and sins in dust…not stone, or on paper.
Very interesting, I love reading stuff like this.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:41:59 AM »

selam  Smiley
Habte I too would like to know what those words say on the icons, I have never been to Lake Tana monasteries, if you ever could find out what those say let us know.
Seraphim, indeed my brother, once more beautifully said  though we transgress against Him, the doors of repentance He holds open for us and when we go into those doors,He forgives and remembers our sins no more. we are made new before His eyes, our sins blown away as if dust by the strong Wind of His Love.
Blessed day to you all Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:53 AM »

I might add for our Protestant friends, that this is the sole instance of Christ writing anything down and we are not told (if you are a sola scripturists) what he wrote.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »

I might add for our Protestant friends, that this is the sole instance of Christ writing anything down and we are not told (if you are a sola scripturists) what he wrote.

To be fair, the Protestant will argue that Christ Himself is the Author of all Scripture.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 05:49:37 AM »

To be fair, the Protestant will argue that Christ Himself is the Author of all Scripture.

Selam

How can that be if there are multiple authors?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 07:18:28 AM »

Selam

Because the Sola Scripturists have almost the same view of the Bible that Muslims have of the Qur'an. They think that God literally wrote the Bible through the hands of its authors. So although they will acknowledge that various biblical books are influenced by the personality of the author, they still maintain that God inerrantly wrote the Scriptures through these individuals. So to them, Christ is the infallible Author of the entire Bible.

Selam

Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »

Selam  Smiley
I realize this is an old thread, but i saw it when it came as a tag when i was reading orthodox writing thread and i just want to add what i have learnt on this matter in the Ethio Tradition. it is that not only the Lord wrote each one of their most hidden sins to each one by their name but the Lord the lover of mankind was merciful on them and He hid each one's sin from the other and revealed it only to the man, so they each saw different things, but they all saw their sins that only they knew about and terrified and shamed they left. He hid their sins from others for them you see how generous and kind He is?  its the same when we tell the priests our sins , it will not be repeated to anyone, as the Lord dealt with each one separately to abate their madness, in the same manner priests do not disclose the sin of another told in the mystery of confession, to correct someone else's. well there is a lot more we can learn from this but I just wanted to add that bit of info for those who might get to read this thread like I did.

selam to all  Smiley
Greetings Hiwot:

Yes....I also now remember that beautiful additional detail to this story. Thank you for the reminder.  Smiley

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
вєликаго

Faith: Drevlepravoslavie (Old Orthodox) STRANNIKI
Jurisdiction: Lipovan

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

I, in what appears to me the same spirit, also find it instructive that HE did not rebuke the practices of the "Old" Testament, but rather tempered their act by appealing to them from the same Scripture.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:21:09 PM by вєликаго » Logged

St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

Selam

Because the Sola Scripturists have almost the same view of the Bible that Muslims have of the Qur'an. They think that God literally wrote the Bible through the hands of its authors. So although they will acknowledge that various biblical books are influenced by the personality of the author, they still maintain that God inerrantly wrote the Scriptures through these individuals. So to them, Christ is the infallible Author of the entire Bible.

Selam

I think you are conflating Sola Scriptura with the popular notion of Christian Fundamentalism. The former were never accused of being Mohamedans, the latter and more recent group absolutely.

You might want to read the hermeneutics of even a young Luther and compare his notion of Scriptural understanding with that of St. Augustine.

They ain't far apart.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

If I remember correctly, St. John Chrysostom suggested that he was writing the names of the accusers who themselves had committed adultery in the past.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

I've heard many variations on this, including one priest that found it interesting that he wrote in the dust, the very thing that Adam was formed of.

That said, I would not understand the Oral tradition of the sins of the accusers being written in the dust and shown.  The scriptures read that the oldest ones left first, suggesting that in their longer sinful lives, they understood the point quicker.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags: Scripture Gospels New Testament St. Nikolai Velimirovich Gospel of St. John 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: