OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good resources on post-Schism Oriental Orthodox monasticism?  (Read 1071 times) Average Rating: 0
StAvvakum

Faith: Old Orthodox

« on: June 23, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend good resources on monasticism in the Churches that rejected Chalcedon after the schism to the present day?

I would also be grateful if anyone could recommend good works on monasticism in the Assyrian Church of the East.

Thanks.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »

The only thing I can think of is an Oriental Orthodox compilation of sayings of Desert Fathers:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paradise-Holy-Fathers-Volume/dp/0980517141/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Something else you may find interesting is a documentary on a Coptic anchorite, Fr. Lazarus:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22450.0.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:37:46 PM by Salpy » Logged

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:49:14 AM »

I don't know how useful these are but...

Contemporary Coptic Nuns
http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Coptic-Studies-Comparative-Religion/dp/1570030340

Monks and Monasteries of the Coptic Desert
http://www.amazon.com/Monks-Monasteries-Egyptian-Desert-Meinardus/dp/9774241886/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340607009&sr=1-6&keywords=coptic+monasteries

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »

It just occurred to me that the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies is giving a course on monasticism:

http://www.lsocs.co.uk/orthodox_monasticism.php

StAvvakum

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have read that the works of Evargius survived under his own name among the Oriental Orthodox, did Origenism exist within Non-Chalcedonian monasteries? If so are there surviving records of how it was dealt with?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »

Origen was never a saint among the OO's, but he was never explicitly condemned like he was by the EO's.  I think what happened was that to the extent he wrote anything harmful, it was just ignored or thrown out, while anything good would have been retained in some form.  I don't know to what extent anything he wrote was explicitly kept in his name among the OO's. 

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »

^I actually think I remember St. Dioscorus writing a letter to St. Shenoute condemning a Monk who held Origenist ideas. Though, I do not believe Origen was explicitly anathematized. Modern OO theologians also do cite Origen's orthodox writings. A perfect example being Fr. Tadros Yacob Malaty of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
StAvvakum

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

^I actually think I remember St. Dioscorus writing a letter to St. Shenoute condemning a Monk who held Origenist ideas. Though, I do not believe Origen was explicitly anathematized. Modern OO theologians also do cite Origen's orthodox writings. A perfect example being Fr. Tadros Yacob Malaty of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

They may cite him but OO today to my knowledge are far from being Origenists. St Gregory the Theologian cites him to I believe.

It is interesting though to hear that Origenism seems to have existed within both Churches if your memory is correct.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »

From what I recall reading about him in the past, Origen was extremely prolific in his day, and only a small portion of what he wrote was heretical.  Most of what he wrote was perfectly Orthodox and at the time of the First Council he was widely respected.  In fact, I seem to recall that both sides at Nicea were quoting him and using his writings to support their positions. 

I think among other things, the Orthodox at Nicea were using him to support their argument that Christ is eternal.  The Arians, I think, were using him to say that Christ was subordinate to the Father.  I think Origin referred to God the Father as "The God," but he referred to Christ as only "God," or something like that.  (Of course this would all be in Greek, which I don't know.)  I'm not sure if Origin meant to make Christ subordinate to God the Father, but the way in which he referred to them led the Arians to think he did.  I guess that, coupled with other things he taught, like the preexistence of souls, led to him eventually falling out of favor.  Most of what he wrote, though, from what I understand, was perfectly fine.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend good resources on monasticism in the Churches that rejected Chalcedon after the schism to the present day?

I would also be grateful if anyone could recommend good works on monasticism in the Assyrian Church of the East.

Thanks.

Fwiw, some of the stuff written by Derwas Chitty in The Desert A City (including some stuff about Origenism) might be of interest to you. You can see some of the book at Google books if you want a preview.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »

There aren't really any comprehensive english-language books on Coptic monasticism let alone Oriental Orthodox monasticism as of yet. I could recommend journal articles, but they tend to be quite dry.

As far as Coptic monasticism post-Chalcedon is concerned, scholarship has been predominantly occupied with the figure of St Shenoute the Archimandrite (+465). I believe there were at least a couple of books on him last I checked. The one that comes to mind is Schroeder's, 'Monastic Bodies: Discipline and Salvation in Shenoute of Atripe'.

If you're after something more informal/non-academic and more focused on the spirit and spirituality of Coptic monasticism you might be interested in Mark Gruber's, 'Journey Back to Eden: My Life and Times Among the Desert Fathers.'
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:56:16 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags: Origen Monasticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: