OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandusky Found Guilty on 45 of 48 Counts  (Read 4269 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Just because someone feels that a perpetrator of a crime should go to prison does not mean he's consumed by vengeance or condemnation. Do you think he should be left alone to commit more crimes against children? Where does the eternal hand-wringing end?

Just punishment is one thing, but maybe you should read this thread again, but I dare say it was devolving to lynch mob mentalities..

Also folks also should be careful not to insert themselves as the intended subject of ANY of my posts unless I drop specific names.  I rarely decide to address any individual opinions here to attack the individuals, more so, I see the vibe and atmosphere of a thread and speak on that.  In that regard, this thread was hectic and needed a bit of coolness on the fire.  It is not personal to anyone here, just about the topic, not necessarily the opinions of any of the specific posters.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The problem is, if you attack the "vibe" of the thread anyone and everyone can feel personally attacked as they have added to the "vibe".

Hence the disclosure.  Also, perhaps "attack" is not my best choice of words, do my two responses on this thread really come across as hostile or attacking? I hope not, if so I need to edit, because that was not my intentions.  I did want to "attack" the fire-and-brimstone that was getting caustically tossed around back and forth on this thread, and I wanted to drive home a point of love.  So if I failed, I apologize, and if anyone here feels personally attacked, I apologize for that too.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I guess this kind of cuts to the quick of the matter.  Is it even a good thing to try and tamper down some fire-and-brimstone?  Shouldn't it be somewhat reassuring that some people still get angered about kids getting buggered?  Shouldn't it be comforting to know that instances like these will illicit natural human emotions?  These emotions we have, hatred for those who destroy lives is one of the things that has made human society successful.  If no one cares when something rotten happens, or just brush it off and respond with 'love' all it does is create a climate where these acts will continue to be perpetrated.  There will always be bad actors and good actors in society.  The thing we want to do is make the consequences for bad actors so frightful that the less bad of the bunch will weigh the consequences vs the benefits of feeding their pleasures.  Of course there will be those who are so lost that not even the threat of extreme violence will keep them from engaging in their baser desires.  These people will do more good in death, serving as an example for the more easily swayed than they would being 'rehabilitated'.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Just because someone feels that a perpetrator of a crime should go to prison does not mean he's consumed by vengeance or condemnation. Do you think he should be left alone to commit more crimes against children? Where does the eternal hand-wringing end?

Just punishment is one thing, but maybe you should read this thread again, but I dare say it was devolving to lynch mob mentalities..

Also folks also should be careful not to insert themselves as the intended subject of ANY of my posts unless I drop specific names.  I rarely decide to address any individual opinions here to attack the individuals, more so, I see the vibe and atmosphere of a thread and speak on that.  In that regard, this thread was hectic and needed a bit of coolness on the fire.  It is not personal to anyone here, just about the topic, not necessarily the opinions of any of the specific posters.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The problem is, if you attack the "vibe" of the thread anyone and everyone can feel personally attacked as they have added to the "vibe".

Hence the disclosure.  Also, perhaps "attack" is not my best choice of words, do my two responses on this thread really come across as hostile or attacking? I hope not, if so I need to edit, because that was not my intentions.  I did want to "attack" the fire-and-brimstone that was getting caustically tossed around back and forth on this thread, and I wanted to drive home a point of love.  So if I failed, I apologize, and if anyone here feels personally attacked, I apologize for that too.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I guess this kind of cuts to the quick of the matter.  Is it even a good thing to try and tamper down some fire-and-brimstone?  Shouldn't it be somewhat reassuring that some people still get angered about kids getting buggered?  Shouldn't it be comforting to know that instances like these will illicit natural human emotions?  These emotions we have, hatred for those who destroy lives is one of the things that has made human society successful.  If no one cares when something rotten happens, or just brush it off and respond with 'love' all it does is create a climate where these acts will continue to be perpetrated.  There will always be bad actors and good actors in society.  The thing we want to do is make the consequences for bad actors so frightful that the less bad of the bunch will weigh the consequences vs the benefits of feeding their pleasures.  Of course there will be those who are so lost that not even the threat of extreme violence will keep them from engaging in their baser desires.  These people will do more good in death, serving as an example for the more easily swayed than they would being 'rehabilitated'.

Yes, hence the criminal justice system. If only more of our judges would understand what it is there for.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »

You seem to be saying that Sandusky's guilt, which you have not proved he feels since he professes to be not guilty, is enough. God will deal with him, but human justice cannot be ignored. After all, God instituted that, too. He will be sent to prison primarily so that he does not repeat his crimes. The alternative is to tie a millstone around his neck and throw him into the sea, but I don't see you arguing for that here.

If you feel like casting that stone go ahead, but the same guilt will find you in time.  Vengeance is a one-way street, it is all consuming.  I was reading a good novel today, it made this very adept point.

" If it had not wanted their flesh so badly, he thought, it wouldn't have come after them at such speed, and brought this pain and humiliation upon itself.  There was a lesson there, if he could only remember it. EVIL, HOWEVER POWERFUL IT SEEMED, COULD BE UNDONE BY ITS OWN APPETITE."
The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

The Devil, as Peter warned us, is out like a ravenous lion, seeking to devour who he can by his endless appetite of judgement, hostility, and envy.  The Evil in ourselves is not different.  The Devil wants to drag us all down with him, so we can all be miserable together.  We are tempted by his Evil, indeed by our own evil, out of the same appetite.  Why did Jerry Sandusky do this for so long? In vain attempts to quench his own appetite, and in the end, he himself was consumed, as we all shall be in time.

On a personal  note, I have been all-consumed buy vengeance in my life. I have calculated and choreographed revenge across years of time.  It benefits nothing.  It only feeds the appetite for sin all the more with your own blood.  Evil likes the taste of blood, it could care less whose, guilty or innocent, that of other peoples or our own.

Justice? God is about justice, what can we do that can be rightfully called just, if we are all guilty of the same evils in different guises? To condemn Sandusky is to be just as evil as he is.  I am not saying let Sandusky walk a free man, but lets not forget about God in all our hoopla about punishment this and vendetta that..  God is the head pay-master of all matters.  If God can find it in His own heart to allow even foul and undeserving creatures like Sandusky another moment  of life, perhaps we can learn from this example.  Further, if an appetite for sin brought down Sandusky and hurt so many people, maybe we should carefully mind our own appetites for vengeance.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Thank you.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »

Quote from: Gebre Menfes Kidus
To kill an abortionist in order to save unborn babies is not sinful in my opinion, but it is not Christian either. King Solomon's sword was not unjust, but we are called to follow Christ not Solomon.

Solomon did not cut the baby.

Funny "get out" clause at the end of the first sentence. Why not go all the way and stop after the word 'opinion'? Why weasel out of it?

Does the local district attorney know that you feel this way? There are people serving time for acting on 'thoughts' like that. You could, of course, try to do something to encourage adoption, but that doesn't foster your apparently entertaining fantasy of killing doctors. It sucks when you have to forgive people and find something else to do.

Why don't you care about saving the 'baby' of the doctor's mother?

I could point out that God spared Cain, and Jesus forgave the people who crucified Him, but you probably think God was wrong then too.

Like I said, some people love to make straw man caricatures of my position. That's easier than actually discussing the issue in a reasonable manner, although it's also quite cowardly. Your slanderous accusations and deliberate misrepresentation of my views does not deserve a response. Honest people on this forum know and understand that I desire the salvation of all people, pedophiles and abortionists included. They may disagree with me about pacifism, but they are honest enough to realize that I mourn the suffering and death of anyone created in God's holy image. So disagree with me all you want, but I would ask you to excercise the integrity not to slander me in such a dishonest manner. Thank you.

Selam

For not deserving a response, Biro sure got a long, empty, tirade.

It wouldn't be Christian of me to only give Biro what they deserve now would it? Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »

Pennsylvania Attorney General emails called 'gold mines' for defendants

Millions of deleted emails recovered during Attorney General Kathleen Kane's review of the Jerry Sandusky investigation may become a “potential gold mine of favorable and discoverable evidence” that could be a “game-changer” for criminal defendants, a prominent Philadelphia lawyer said on Tuesday...
Tags: child molestation 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: