OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:16:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is 'gossip'?  (Read 605 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

Actually, I know what it is but I am curious as to whether publications such as People magazine might fall under gossip?  What about "Reality" shows such as the Kardashians?  The Real Wives franchise? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »

Actually, I know what it is but I am curious as to whether publications such as People magazine might fall under gossip?  What about "Reality" shows such as the Kardashians?  The Real Wives franchise? 

Good question.  I'd say that People magazine probably engages in it less than something like Star magazine, as People tends to actually name sources.  Stuff like the latter usually just say, "..a source close to the celebrity says..." 

I'm not sure most reality TV falls under it, as a) it's not "real" and b) the people who star in such shows know what they're doing.  It's certainly trashy, but not gossip, IMHO.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »

Actually, I know what it is but I am curious as to whether publications such as People magazine might fall under gossip?  What about "Reality" shows such as the Kardashians?  The Real Wives franchise?  

Good question.  I'd say that People magazine probably engages in it less than something like Star magazine, as People tends to actually name sources.  Stuff like the latter usually just say, "..a source close to the celebrity says..."  

I'm not sure most reality TV falls under it, as a) it's not "real" and b) the people who star in such shows know what they're doing.  It's certainly trashy, but not gossip, IMHO.

But even if information comes with sources, I think it can still fall under the heading 'gossip', yes?  BTW, here's a Soviet Era poster I thought was comically interesting:

"Don't chat! Chatting leads to treason"
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:48:13 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »

Actually, I know what it is but I am curious as to whether publications such as People magazine might fall under gossip?  What about "Reality" shows such as the Kardashians?  The Real Wives franchise?  

Good question.  I'd say that People magazine probably engages in it less than something like Star magazine, as People tends to actually name sources.  Stuff like the latter usually just say, "..a source close to the celebrity says..."  

I'm not sure most reality TV falls under it, as a) it's not "real" and b) the people who star in such shows know what they're doing.  It's certainly trashy, but not gossip, IMHO.

But even if information comes with sources, I think it can still fall under the heading 'gossip', yes?  BTW, here's a Soviet Era poster I thought was comically interesting:

"Don't chat! Chatting leads to treason"

Most definitely, but in this litigious age, people (small p) usually won't go on record saying something bad about someone, even if it's true.  People tends to focus on more positive stories nowadays (note I said TENDS...they still do publish negative stuff).  Regardless, it's all crap.  My wife loves it, but she at least knows it's gossip.  Granted, I wish she'd take that knowledge and do something with it rather than revel in it, but it is what it is.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »

But even if information comes with sources, I think it can still fall under the heading 'gossip', yes?  

My wife loves it, but she at least knows it's gossip.  Granted, I wish she'd take that knowledge and do something with it rather than revel in it, but it is what it is.

I'm right there with you, brother.  My wife loves some of that stuff.

PS- I think I just gossiped about my wife.  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:58:24 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »

I'd say if it doesn't play a signifcant role (e.g. as a major draw/attraction), then it's no big deal. So a reality tv show like Chopped would be completely fine, something like Top Chef less so but still fairly harmless, while other shows might be based almost entirely on gossip or related drama.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

90% or so of what comes out of people's mouths according to some descriptive anthropological linguistic sociological cross cultural study after listening to tens of thousands of hours of human speech.

They thought most human speech would be "pragmatic". But it was just yentering.

But really, are we going to take such disciplines seriously? I mean like they are so . . .

Seriously (actually that is serious above for the most part):

It is fun.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »

90% or so of what comes out of people's mouths according to some descriptive anthropological linguistic sociological cross cultural study after listening to tens of thousands of hours of human speech.

But really, are we going to take such disciplines seriously? I mean like they are so . . .

It is fun.
How can something be seriously fun?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »

It is fun.

What the hell is going on in the first sentence?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »

It is fun.

Put the words, "Gossip is..." before it and it will make more sense.

John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »

I look at it this way, is it edifying in any way? Okay, lots of things aren't. That's true. But, how does it make us react? A lot of those are printed so that people will go "Did you here what he did?!" To me, it's no different than gossip.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:12:20 AM by John Ward » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »

I look at it this way, is it edifying in any way? Okay, lots of things aren't. That's true. But, how does it make us react? A lot of those are printed so that people will go "Did you here what he did?!" To me, it's no different than gossip.

This is what I was getting at.  Is just because it's been printed with accompanying sources necessarily mean we should read it or repeat it?  So back to People magazine (that's just the magazine that comes to mind);  Say a movie star or a parasitical socialite is written about.  There are quotes from friends and other sources.  Am I off the hook for talking about it simply because there are credible sources?  Just because it's printed, does it mean that it's my business?  I think if we talk about others, even if the information is true, it's not necessarily, but probably gossiping. 

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »

I is not gossip unless a woman does it.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

It is fun.

Put the words, "Gossip is..." before it and it will make more sense.

Or imagine that someone just asked:

"What is gossip?"

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Tags: gossip sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: