OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:35:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High-ranking priest guilty on one count in child sex abuse case..  (Read 1349 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: June 22, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

"High-ranking priest guilty on one count in child sex abuse case.."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/justice/pennsylvania-priest-abuse-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »

"High-ranking priest guilty on one count in child sex abuse case.."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/justice/pennsylvania-priest-abuse-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
This is news, let alone Christian news?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »

When he goes to prison, I pray that he receives mercy... after he's brutally gang-raped.  And you better believe, by God, that I DO mean that.  These children deserve so much better than what they where subjected to.  They put their trust in their adult caretakers and when the person who allowed their innocence to be ripped away, only to have that hang over them for the rest of their lives?  As Gen. Patton would say, "May God have mercy on them because I won't!" 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »

When he goes to prison, I pray that he receives mercy... after he's brutally gang-raped.  And you better believe, by God, that I DO mean that.
What's truly sad is that you, who claim to be an Orthodox Christian, would wish such brutality upon anyone. Cry
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

When he goes to prison, I pray that he receives mercy... after he's brutally gang-raped.  And you better believe, by God, that I DO mean that.
What's truly sad is that you, who claim to be an Orthodox Christian, would wish such brutality upon anyone. Cry
Well get out the tissues, sport, because I still think this *$$hole deserves it.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

Well get out the tissues, sport, because I still think this *$$hole deserves it.

Revenge and wrath... 'think' away.

I'm going to need this.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

I think it's easy for Gabriel to speak that way because he has never been gang-raped himself.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »

It's easy for me to think that way because I've been very close to a child-abuse case.  The victim was a little boy who trusted those in charge of him.  He will never be the same again.  I realize my views are counter-Christian.  I'm not perfect and I accept that.  But when you see the tears of a child who was sexually abused by a monster you might change your mind.  And if it ever happened to my nieces or nephew, well sorry, but this is where me and Jesus part ways.   

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »

It's easy for me to think that way because I've been very close to a child-abuse case.  The victim was a little boy who trusted those in charge of him.  He will never be the same again.  I realize my views are counter-Christian.  I'm not perfect and I accept that.  But when you see the tears of a child who was sexually abused by a monster you might change your mind.  And if it ever happened to my nieces or nephew, well sorry, but this is where me and Jesus part ways.  
I don't think of this as something I would boast about.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:50:46 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

I feel your pain and wrath Gabriel but I don't think that's the solution.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »

Samuel Jackson sums up my thoughts about adults who violently, savagely harm our little children.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »

And you boast about this. Cry
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »

I appreciate honesty more than pious platitudes. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »

I appreciate honesty more than pious platitudes. 
He wasn't being honest?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 01:01:56 AM »

He was and I respect honestly.  I wish more people would be honest on this forum rather than retreat behind pious platitudes. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »

He was and I respect honestly.  I wish more people would be honest on this forum rather than retreat behind pious platitudes. 
Save a few, I think most people are generally honest here.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »

Save a few, I think most people are generally honest here.

Then you don't know enough of the truth.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »

alot of us could be honest about alot of things, but we should probably keep alot of them to ourselves.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »

He was and I respect honestly.  I wish more people would be honest on this forum rather than retreat behind pious platitudes.  

alot of us could be honest about alot of things, but we should probably keep alot of them to ourselves.

Or at least not be act duplicately or lie. That would be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:06:30 AM by orthonorm » Logged

John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »

Absolutely! Let's hope that others will do the devil's bidding because he did something wrong. Makes perfect sense.

I remember that part in Ezekiel where God wanted the exact same type of thing to happen...oh, wait. That's not what it says, at all.

He hasn't done anything worse than I have. He just did different things.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:10:14 AM by John Ward » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »

He was and I respect honestly.  I wish more people would be honest on this forum rather than retreat behind pious platitudes.  

Or at least not be act duplicately or lie. That would be helpful.

Yipes, this is what happens when exhausted and talking while posting and making a correction to avoid moderation.

Should be:

Or at least not act duceptively or lie. That would be helpful.

If this post were cryptic, I don't blame you.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

"PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The first U.S. church official convicted of covering up sex-abuse claims against Roman Catholic priests was sentenced Tuesday.."
http://news.yahoo.com/pa-monsignor-gets-3-6-years-sex-abuse-154117156.html

Proverbs 22:7
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

Yes, our "honest" thoughts in a matter of minutes can range from the very impious to very devout repentant prayers. It is best to put aside all logismoi and all negative angry thoughts, repent, and then strive toward theosis, but this takes work and many prayers.

I am praying for this monsignor, that he may repent. Lord have mercy.

Think about this: this monsignor who probably has lived a soft life, may not be prepared for what lies ahead in prison. Gang-raping him could destroy what spirituality/faith he has left.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

"PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The first U.S. church official convicted of covering up sex-abuse claims against Roman Catholic priests was sentenced Tuesday.."
http://news.yahoo.com/pa-monsignor-gets-3-6-years-sex-abuse-154117156.html

From that news article linked above:
Lynn, who handled priest assignments and child sexual assault complaints from 1992 to 2004, was convicted last month of felony child endangerment for his oversight of now-defrocked priest Edward Avery. Avery is serving a 2½- to five-year sentence for sexually assaulting an altar boy in church in 1999.

Lynn's lawyers had sought probation, arguing that few Pennsylvanians serve long prison terms for child endangerment and their client shouldn't serve more time than abusers like Avery. They plan to appeal the landmark conviction and seek bail while the lengthy appeals process unfolds.

Defense lawyers have long argued that the state's child endangerment statute, revised in 2007 to include those who supervise abusers, should not apply to Lynn since he left office in 2004. They also insist he did more than anyone at the archdiocese to meet with victims, get pedophile priests into treatment and send recommendations to the cardinal.

Lynn got 3 to 6 years, whereas the monster child abuser Avery only received a sentence of 2.5 to 5 years. Since Lynn was convicted under a 2007 law (leaving office in 2004), I think that this conviction should be overturned especially since Lynn has apparently accepted responsibility and has apologized.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: