OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 09:12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here been visited by Saints or demons ?  (Read 1673 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »

J Michael,
Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate your sensitivity to my caution in asking, the seriousness of my inquiry, and your insight to the questions themselves. Yes, it certainly did help my understanding.

Only one area we strongly disagree brother. While Irish Wiskey is a 'spirit' may I suggest a nice Canadian blend instead?  Wink

You're quite welcome  Wink!

As for the whiskey, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  But, if you're buying the next round.... laugh laugh

(Please don't tell me you like "lite" beer, too.  Please...!!! Grin)

Light (Irish) vs light (Canadian). What a comparison! May I suggest a nice barrel-strength bourbon instead?

What did you have in mind?  And, hey...if you're buying.... Grin Grin

I can't afford single malt whiskeys, but I really do prefer Kilbeggan over most other blended ones I've tried.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »

This sounds like a demonic encounter.  Why they were there is anyone's guess.  They may have an attachment to the family (you hinted at the disposition of the deceased) or the residence (the Church has prayers for such infestations).

Human apparitions are a different matter. 

Christians routinely encounter the demonic, though most of the time in very subtle forms.  Such obvious apparitions are rare, though not as rare as you'd think.  Most people are too afraid to talk about them publicly, fearing they will be dismissed as cranks.

O.K. but this is going to sound really bizarre if not unbelievable. My wife, daughter and I had to go out of town years ago for a funeral. I will not comment on the deceased, things he did while living, or the way he lived his life, though I guess I just did. We spent the night at his eldest son’s home. My daughter was out on the couch. That evening as the rest of us were sleeping she literally saw shadows swarming around her. She claims the darkest feeling entered the pit of her stomach. She felt like these shadows were trying to consume her. She began to pray to our Lord God and at some point the ‘shadows’ went away. Now, she was in her mid teens at that time thus not the imagination of a child. She was wide awake when it happened thus not some dreamy experience. I assure you she does not suffer from any physiological delusional problems so you guys tell me; what was that?? What could that have meant??

For me it is more of a question I would like to ask you all. I have experienced seeing what I would best describe as a glowing light only lasting a couple of seconds about a week  after my great grandmother passed around 20yrs ago. She was a very spiritual Christian woman. In that moment that I saw this ‘glow’,  I ‘felt her presence’ so to speak. Ironically my mother and at least one other family member saw ‘something’ they attributed to her presence as well. I would also like to consider reply #4 by Second Chance in my question. Scripture suggests (I prefer to say it is written) that the deceased cannot come back to us here on earth. Thus how do we explain in Christianity these type ‘happenings’?? How do we explain what so many people describe as seeing spirits or ‘ghosts’?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »

Demons can attack anyone at anytime, so long as God permits it.  Some priests will tell you that they are attacked while serving the Liturgy.

Our fallen nature does not take much prompting to fill us with unseemly temptations, but the Fathers very clearly state that demons will take up the task when allowed.  What demons want us to do is to engage the thoughts and 'own' them.

I've counselled a number of people driven to despair by demonic thoughts, and I have always told them the same thing, as Abbot Meletios always says: "You are not your thoughts."

A normal person has bad thoughts and regrets them.  A pervert has bad thoughts and enjoys them without any guilt.

I have never seen a Saint or seen a demon, but, I have felt a demon trying to feel me with lustfull and sexual thoughts during Church randomly, I felt an uncomfortable sensation through my body. There was a lady that day at Church approaching for holy communion when she was struggling to walk up to the priest for communion her husband was helping her walk up as she got really close I could hear her growling, she received holy communion but that second after I felt a burning sensation within me of lustfull unpleasant feeling, which I found very disturbing something I have never felt before even at a Milk bar, shopping centre or even when my testosterone was as high as it has ever been in my teenager years. Was I being attacked by sinful thoughts from demon at that time in church?. Do demons attack people with sinful desires like that in church has anyone experience anything similar ?

Thanks.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Ikonos
O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries

Faith: Baptised Anglican, heading to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Christendom

Kyrios Iesous Christos Santa Maria

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

Yes, a Demon. It is not an experience I would like to repeat either.

It was after a Midnight Mass, during a night vigil. I was praying and feeling nauseous and fearful when a prescence appeared before me as if materialising from a wall. It pushed me back forcefully, holding me down for what seemed like a few seconds, then disappeared into thin air. It was big and strong and had the archetypal appearance of 2 horns and red skin, and seemed angry that I was daring to try and raise myself to a higher position. I don't recall it having wings or a tail though. I was terrified and in shock for a while after.

Whether it was a projection from my unconscious, a distorted memory, or a malevolent entity I didn't know.

I was left feeling that I had underestimated the strength of the Evil One(s), that I was trying to make a journey on my own and without seeking help from the Lord.  It made me think of the Lord's words that 'Evil lies at the heart of every man [or woman]'. I do now believe the existence of Demonic forces within this earthly realm.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:15:08 PM by Ikonos » Logged

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
Ikonos
O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries

Faith: Baptised Anglican, heading to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Christendom

Kyrios Iesous Christos Santa Maria

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

Another experience I had, which I am a bit reluctant to share, was before I took to Orthodoxy I attended a Plant Spirit Medicine Workshop where we consumed Ayahuasca, for 2 consectutive nights.
During the de-brief, the next day, the Western Shaman beckoned for an attendee - who was complaining of feelings of persecution - to sit before him. He asked the attendee where the feeling was coming from and was told it was like a small figure sitting on his right shoulder.
The Shaman proceeded to blow cigar smoke (as is their habit) first, over the left shoulder of the person (where nothing untoward happened), then over the right shoulder upon which an invisible blockage seemed to stop the smoke from flowing where it should. The Shaman then proceeded to utter various incantations, etc. to supposedly exorcise the Demon, following more cigar blowing to prove it had gone!
Whether there was an actual entity there or the Shaman was an expert at controlling cigar smoke I don't know but it did send a shiver down my spine!

I subsequently realised the people involved in the Workshop were involved in some rather dark aspects of Spirituality. Compared to a humble Orthodox Father I met soon after, the Western Shaman (who seemed addicted to smoking raw cigars) and his associates seemed lacking in any genuine peace or compassion or Spiritual Wisdom.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:50:52 PM by Ikonos » Logged

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »

yes, there's a link between hanging out with shamans and seeing demons...
if u mess with the spirit world, it will mess with u.
i hope u keep all yr spiritual life in the church now instead.
may God guide u and protect u.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: