OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:09:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here been visited by Saints or demons ?  (Read 1743 times) Average Rating: 0
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« on: June 22, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »

Hi all,

Just out of interest has anyone here been visited by Saints or demons ? During there lifetime as an orthodox and non-orthodox at the time ?
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

I had someone bring St Pauli Girl to my house one time  laugh does that count ?
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »

I've never been visited by any but I've had what I would call intercessions from saints, I would believe-- especially from St. John Maximovitch and my patron.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:07:21 AM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »

I believe I was especially helped by St. Michael after an incident in 2005.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »

If we define saints in the broadest sense, I was visited by my departed mother and son as I was dying, back in 2001. In the stricter sense, earlier this year during a Saturday Vespers service, I had the fleeting but strong feeling that all the saints who were depicted by their icons were physically present.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »

I attribute my conversion to a direct intercession of the Theotokos (while in the presence of a physical image of her).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:17:53 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

I am visited by both angels and demons on a frequent basis.  Now let me set you straight in that it's nothing like the movies.  Demons usually don't make your head spin 360 or crab walk down stairs.  They are very good house guests and maintain a low profile.  They just egg you on to do immoral things, which usually isn't hard work.  I tend to do most of the work myself and they just stick around as encouragement.

Angels, likewise, don't come down to me in shining garments telling me I am chosen by God and am a totally gangsta person.  Nope.  Usually angelic visions for me consist of nothing more than a little voice in the back of my head saying something like, "No, no!  Don't type that in the search bar!  No, seriously, stop it, man!  No no no stop stop stoooooo...  Oh, man, that's sick.  You're really sick, you know that?"
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »

I am visited by both angels and demons on a frequent basis.  Now let me set you straight in that it's nothing like the movies.  Demons usually don't make your head spin 360 or crab walk down stairs.  They are very good house guests and maintain a low profile.  They just egg you on to do immoral things, which usually isn't hard work.  I tend to do most of the work myself and they just stick around as encouragement.

Angels, likewise, don't come down to me in shining garments telling me I am chosen by God and am a totally gangsta person.  Nope.  Usually angelic visions for me consist of nothing more than a little voice in the back of my head saying something like, "No, no!  Don't type that in the search bar!  No, seriously, stop it, man!  No no no stop stop stoooooo...  Oh, man, that's sick.  You're really sick, you know that?"

That's called your conscience.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

Really?  I figured that he'd died years ago.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »

Really?  I figured that he'd died years ago.

Only if you did, too.   Grin

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »

Should we be talking about these things?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

I have questions on this subject, as well as a reply, but need NicholasMyra's question answered first.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »

Yes.  Why not?  There is a point (and who knows where *that* is?) where too much discussion of demons or too impassioned discussion of them may attract their attention to us, especially to those more vulnerable to their influence.  We probably should be cautious, but should we fear them?  I've read and been told not to.

Saints and angels--what problem could there be in discussing them?

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »

Yes.  Why not?  There is a point (and who knows where *that* is?) where too much discussion of demons or too impassioned discussion of them may attract their attention to us, especially to those more vulnerable to their influence.  We probably should be cautious, but should we fear them?  I've read and been told not to.

Discussing saints, and angels and demons is certainly fine, but talking about personal experiences with them may just be an exercise in pride and could also scandalize some folks.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

The point I was trying to make is that these things tend to be over-sensationalized.  There is constant warfare going on around us between the angels and demons.  This is nothing new or out of the ordinary.

EDIT -

Or, pretty much what KBN1 said.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:23:21 PM by vamrat » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

Discussing saints, and angels and demons is certainly fine, but talking about personal experiences with them may just be an exercise in pride and could also scandalize some folks.

This is true.  But it holds true for just about anything.  We need to guard against pride in all our dealings and conversations.  The discussion of personal experiences of *any* kind is not *necessarily* an exercise in pride, though it could be.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »

This is true.  But it holds true for just about anything.  We need to guard against pride in all our dealings and conversations.  The discussion of personal experiences of *any* kind is not *necessarily* an exercise in pride, though it could be.

While I agree with that, I think spiritual experiences of this nature are in a different category than where we vacation or what car we drive.  Is there a particular reason that you are interested in this topic?  If the discussion had a more defined direction that might help.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »

Yes.  Why not?  There is a point (and who knows where *that* is?) where too much discussion of demons or too impassioned discussion of them may attract their attention to us, especially to those more vulnerable to their influence.  We probably should be cautious, but should we fear them?  I've read and been told not to.

This is true.  But it holds true for just about anything.  We need to guard against pride in all our dealings and conversations.  The discussion of personal experiences of *any* kind is not *necessarily* an exercise in pride, though it could be.

While I agree with that, I think spiritual experiences of this nature are in a different category than where we vacation or what car we drive.  Is there a particular reason that you are interested in this topic?  If the discussion had a more defined direction that might help.

I didn't mean to imply that so-called spiritual experiences "of this nature" are on the same level as cars and vacations, although there's really no reason they couldn't be.  What I meant was that we can infect *anything* with pride, regardless of how "spiritual" or mundane it may be.  Just because something is "spiritual" doesn't put it into a separate category when it comes to pride.  

If you're asking me, personally, the reason I'm interested in this topic, well.....I didn't start this thread and my personal interest in it is nothing special or extraordinary and nothing in particular.  Having said that, I *do* like a good story where there is one.  Wink

So, is it safe for alanscott to ask his questions now  angel?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:21:58 PM by J Michael » Logged

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »

While I agree with that, I think spiritual experiences of this nature are in a different category than where we vacation or what car we drive.  Is there a particular reason that you are interested in this topic?  If the discussion had a more defined direction that might help.

I didn't mean to imply that so-called spiritual experiences "of this nature" are on the same level as cars and vacations, although there's really no reason they couldn't be.  What I meant was that we can infect *anything* with pride, regardless of how "spiritual" or mundane it may be.  Just because something is "spiritual" doesn't put it into a separate category when it comes to pride. 

If you're asking me, personally, the reason I'm interested in this topic, well.....I didn't start this thread and my personal interest in it is nothing special or extraordinary and nothing in particular.  Having said that, I *do* like a good story where there is one.  Wink

Sorry, I got confused about who started this.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »

Yes, I have.  I do not see it as any particular holiness in me, nor is there anything to be proud of.  I was given these visions, I believe, because I am weak.  If I were strong and more tuned in to God, I would not need these since His Word should be more than enough for me.  In each case, they helped me make a particular decision, answered a particular question for me, or have given me great comfort in a time of great need.  I did not ask to see them, and indeed (after reading the Arena) has asked that I see them no more, except if I ever need that comfort again.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »

When my friend was being treated for cancer as a teenager he said he saw a demon. That's about it.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:51 AM »

I have never seen a Saint or seen a demon, but, I have felt a demon trying to feel me with lustfull and sexual thoughts during Church randomly, I felt an uncomfortable sensation through my body. There was a lady that day at Church approaching for holy communion when she was struggling to walk up to the priest for communion her husband was helping her walk up as she got really close I could hear her growling, she received holy communion but that second after I felt a burning sensation within me of lustfull unpleasant feeling, which I found very disturbing something I have never felt before even at a Milk bar, shopping centre or even when my testosterone was as high as it has ever been in my teenager years. Was I being attacked by sinful thoughts from demon at that time in church?. Do demons attack people with sinful desires like that in church has anyone experience anything similar ?

Thanks.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »

I have never seen a Saint or seen a demon, but, I have felt a demon trying to feel me with lustfull and sexual thoughts during Church randomly, I felt an uncomfortable sensation through my body. There was a lady that day at Church approaching for holy communion when she was struggling to walk up to the priest for communion her husband was helping her walk up as she got really close I could hear her growling, she received holy communion but that second after I felt a burning sensation within me of lustfull unpleasant feeling, which I found very disturbing something I have never felt before even at a Milk bar, shopping centre or even when my testosterone was as high as it has ever been in my teenager years. Was I being attacked by sinful thoughts from demon at that time in church?. Do demons attack people with sinful desires like that in church has anyone experience anything similar ?

Thanks.

I am very interested in the reply of others to your post. I have not experienced that to the extent you have described, but yes, I believe the devil tries to distract people in Church by temptations and anything else he can do. He does not like us going to Church after all. For me it is typically the temptations of pride, lust, and judging others the evil one uses to distract me from the communion and teachings of our Lord Jesus Chrsit.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

O.K. but this is going to sound really bizarre if not unbelievable. My wife, daughter and I had to go out of town years ago for a funeral. I will not comment on the deceased, things he did while living, or the way he lived his life, though I guess I just did. We spent the night at his eldest son’s home. My daughter was out on the couch. That evening as the rest of us were sleeping she literally saw shadows swarming around her. She claims the darkest feeling entered the pit of her stomach. She felt like these shadows were trying to consume her. She began to pray to our Lord God and at some point the ‘shadows’ went away. Now, she was in her mid teens at that time thus not the imagination of a child. She was wide awake when it happened thus not some dreamy experience. I assure you she does not suffer from any physiological delusional problems so you guys tell me; what was that?? What could that have meant??

For me it is more of a question I would like to ask you all. I have experienced seeing what I would best describe as a glowing light only lasting a couple of seconds about a week  after my great grandmother passed around 20yrs ago. She was a very spiritual Christian woman. In that moment that I saw this ‘glow’,  I ‘felt her presence’ so to speak. Ironically my mother and at least one other family member saw ‘something’ they attributed to her presence as well. I would also like to consider reply #4 by Second Chance in my question. Scripture suggests (I prefer to say it is written) that the deceased cannot come back to us here on earth. Thus how do we explain in Christianity these type ‘happenings’?? How do we explain what so many people describe as seeing spirits or ‘ghosts’?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

O.K. but this is going to sound really bizarre if not unbelievable. My wife, daughter and I had to go out of town years ago for a funeral. I will not comment on the deceased, things he did while living, or the way he lived his life, though I guess I just did. We spent the night at his eldest son’s home. My daughter was out on the couch. That evening as the rest of us were sleeping she literally saw shadows swarming around her. She claims the darkest feeling entered the pit of her stomach. She felt like these shadows were trying to consume her. She began to pray to our Lord God and at some point the ‘shadows’ went away. Now, she was in her mid teens at that time thus not the imagination of a child. She was wide awake when it happened thus not some dreamy experience. I assure you she does not suffer from any physiological delusional problems so you guys tell me; what was that?? What could that have meant??

For me it is more of a question I would like to ask you all. I have experienced seeing what I would best describe as a glowing light only lasting a couple of seconds about a week  after my great grandmother passed around 20yrs ago. She was a very spiritual Christian woman. In that moment that I saw this ‘glow’,  I ‘felt her presence’ so to speak. Ironically my mother and at least one other family member saw ‘something’ they attributed to her presence as well. I would also like to consider reply #4 by Second Chance in my question. Scripture suggests (I prefer to say it is written) that the deceased cannot come back to us here on earth. Thus how do we explain in Christianity these type ‘happenings’?? How do we explain what so many people describe as seeing spirits or ‘ghosts’?

From my reading and from what I've been told by several priests, the dead cannot, as you say, come back to earth.  That which we call "ghosts" are spirits.  What are "spirits"?  Well, apart from those created beings we call angels and demons (not to mention my beloved Irish whiskey Grin), I really couldn't say.  If angels and demons are the "only" spiritual beings then one must conclude that "ghosts" are either one or the other.  Or...imagination and possibly some wishful thinking.  From what I've been able to piece together over the years,  of the two the likelihood of them being demons is far, far greater than of them being angels.

Many times have I read or been told not to wish for or "invite" "spirits" to visit me or others (not that I would, anyway) because it is almost invariably demons that show up.  I do know of some people who claim sightings of or visitations by angels, even many canonized saints.  In the case of saints, who am I to question that?  As for others, the only thing I can say is that it has been said (in Scripture, I believe), and I've no reason whatsoever to doubt it, that demons can appear as "beings of light", as angels.  So...we must be very cautious.

To attribute lustful thoughts, strange sensations, weird feelings, etc. to demons may or may not be appropriate.  Oftentimes it's just that--lustful thoughts, strange sensations, etc. that occur because, well, because they do, without reference to or causation by demonic spirits.

It's been said by some that demons afflict and attack most often those closest to God, those whose holiness (or striving for holiness!)  is greater than most people's.  Priests, bishops, patriarchs and popes have been said to be special targets of them.  But...what do I know  angel?

It's also been said that the Devil is most pleased when there is a widespread belief that there is no Devil and no demons--as in much of contemporary Western society.  Then he can go about his business without hindrance.  Just look around you.

I don't know if that helps or not.  Hopefully it does, at least a little.  Smiley

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »

It could have meant your daughter was stressed out and imagined things.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »

About a year ago during a really dark time in my life--I think when my father relapsed into drugs and the girl I liked dumped me--I think that St. Augustine visited me. It was during the moment in my life when I finally decided to become Orthodox. I remember going to sleep that night crying, and having a dream that I was sitting on a bench in a really cloudy, blissful place with my head on St. Augustine's lap crying and him patting my back, kind of hugging me, telling me that everything was going to be all right. I remember he was wearing a red garment and he was definitely darker than most of the Icons portray him.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »

alanscott,
about seeing demons while in 'dark' places; it's certainly possible.
the enemy loves to scare us, but we don't need to be afraid.
james 4:7 'submit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you'.

about 'ghosts'; these are usually also demons (read below for the info about yr deceased relative, this is not in this category). the demons love people to think that a dead person can come back and 'haunt' them, and they love to terrify people with things that go 'bump' in the night. (remember most things that go 'bump' are simply expanding floorboards in the heat, plumbing, mice under the floorboards etc and are totally natural).
demons can cause all sorts of manifestations, and they want people to think they are dead people as this causes more confusion, and it causes people to try to contact the dead, which God has forbidden.
God has not given us the power to initiate contact with the dead, only God initiates this.
when we initiate it (seance, tarot etc), we exhibit pride and rebellion, and the enemy takes the opportunity to push us further from God by making these things 'interesting' with supernatural experiences that have nothing to do with the dead person.

we Christians do not believe that a 'ghost' is the spirit of someone who has had an unpleasant death and so is not at 'rest' in the spirit world. this is a pagan belief. a 'ghost' is often a trick (fake) by a magician or it could a demon wanting to confuse our minds and open us up to the world of 'spirits' (demons) who love to mess with our brains.
we should avoid this at all costs.

however, if someone has a spontaneous experience (not trying to contact the dead) of a feeling of a deceased person together with positive emotions such as peace and love, it MIGHT be an experience God allows us to have to remind us that His is in control of the living and the dead. if we get this experience, we should make the sign of the cross (as the saints always did) and focus our thoughts on Jesus, being willing for the experience to cease if it is not from God.

we should not become proud and think that all our experiences must be genuine; rather we should recognise our weakness and be careful unless the enemy deceives us and makes us proud.
this is why saint antony the great used to assume 'the devil told me', when he had some supernatural knowledge, so that he did not become proud.
ref: http://mobile.coptichymns.net/index.php?module=library&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=440
this link above also has lots of good advice for avoiding pride in your spiritual life.
i have had a few strange experiences myself, but i will follow the advice above and not post them here.
may God bless u all and guide u, and please pray for egypt and for Christians around the world who suffer for their faith.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

I have a question. If the dead cannot communicate with the living anymore then how do we explain miracles commonly attributed to Saints and why do we ask for their intercessions?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »

Hi all,

Just out of interest has anyone here been visited by Saints or demons ? During there lifetime as an orthodox and non-orthodox at the time ?

No, thank God.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

The conscience does not denigrate.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »

Thanks.

This is something to discuss with your spiritual father.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

I have a question. If the dead cannot communicate with the living anymore then how do we explain miracles commonly attributed to Saints and why do we ask for their intercessions?

The saints are not dead. Christ is risen!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

The saints are not dead. Christ is risen!

And yet many around here believe they are not quite alive.

Weird that.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »

So does this mean we need to do away with the Prayers for the Dead?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »

Only if you don't understand them. Or refuse to submit to authority that just might.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »

The dead in Christ are of the same Body as we who are Christian.  At one time, Man spoke directly to God.  This is still done in Spirit.  Just what do you think happens when we pray to Saints?  If they cannot hear us, why bother?  We cannot communicate with the dead mostly because our Spirits are darkened by sin.  If, however, God wishes to set that aside for a short time, for reasons that He knows, we can talk to the dead as though they were standing right before us.  I don't believe that we should seek this since it is so easy for us to be fooled.  However, I do believe that it can happen, and believe that it has in my life.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »

My brother and I both witnessed what we believe is an angel when we were children.  He was about 7.5 feet tall, all in white.  He tilted back his head and had a flame come off the end of his tongue that touched the ceiling.   He went over to the icon corner and lit a 24 hour (small) oil lamp that hung in front of the icons.

The lamp burned for 2 weeks without needing any oil.

We still both talk about it to this day.  (well over 3 decades later)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »

J Michael,
Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate your sensitivity to my caution in asking, the seriousness of my inquiry, and your insight to the questions themselves. Yes, it certainly did help my understanding.

Only one area we strongly disagree brother. While Irish Wiskey is a 'spirit' may I suggest a nice Canadian blend instead?  Wink

What could that have meant??

It could have meant your daughter was stressed out and imagined things.

Agreed and the most realistic reasoning. There is more to the story and the vividness of her description would indicate an illusion more than anything she imagined though. It certainly was a very stressful situation however and our minds certainly can manifest many things.
God bless!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »

J Michael,
Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate your sensitivity to my caution in asking, the seriousness of my inquiry, and your insight to the questions themselves. Yes, it certainly did help my understanding.

Only one area we strongly disagree brother. While Irish Wiskey is a 'spirit' may I suggest a nice Canadian blend instead?  Wink

You're quite welcome  Wink!

As for the whiskey, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  But, if you're buying the next round.... laugh laugh

(Please don't tell me you like "lite" beer, too.  Please...!!! Grin)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:48:12 AM by J Michael » Logged

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

mabsoota,

Thank you for recognizing the serious nature of my inquiry and taking your time to answer accordingly. I will pass this on to my daughter as well.
Outside of that and any future need of discussion with my Pastor and/or elders that guide me, it will not be mentioned again.

This was very insightful for me. Glory to God.

I also am appreciative of your reference for how to deal with Spiritual pride. As I continue to learn and grow in Christ I can see how such pride could become more of a temptation to indeed be avoided. Much obliged!

Please know that this Wednesday evening there will be a little Church in south Florida praying together for our brethren in Egypt and around the world for the persecution they face in the name of our Lord God. I will be humbled to offer such a prayer.

In Christ,

Scott

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »

As for the whiskey, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  But, if you're buying the next round.... laugh laugh

O.K. that is just plain outright funny!!  Grin

Also, have no fear brother, though I do not partake much anymore I still know what real beer is!!

I am also originally from the hills of West Virginia. My family heritage would suggest we are both wrong. True distilled spirits only come in a mason jar!  Roll Eyes Wink

Peace be with ya!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

O.K. that is just plain outright funny!!  Grin

Also, have no fear brother, though I do not partake much anymore I still know what real beer is!!

I am also originally from the hills of West Virginia. My family heritage would suggest we are both wrong. True distilled spirits only come in a mason jar!  Roll Eyes Wink

Peace be with ya!

laugh laugh laugh

Pheee-ew!!  Had me worried there for a moment!

Peace back atcha  Wink!

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »

Well, just the appellation if you want to be picky. But, why?

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

J Michael,

You're quite welcome  Wink!

(Please don't tell me you like "lite" beer, too.  Please...!!! Grin)

Light (Irish) vs light (Canadian). What a comparison! May I suggest a nice barrel-strength bourbon instead?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: