OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 01:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity - cognitive dissonance  (Read 714 times) Average Rating: 0
jaroslavkourakin

« on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »

Why is it that people seem to have no problem with saying God is forgiving, and yet Jesus died to bear the wrath of God?

Otherwise, what is the orthodox explanation of "Christ died for our sins according to Scripture", and I suppose he means Isaiah 53 which definitely does seem very punitive at the hands of God?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:47:38 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »

I'm sure witega has a perfectly clear explanation of this sort of topic, and mine I could write, but it would probably get confusing and not include everything I want it to include. I'll try to contribute what I can, though.  Wink

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »

I hope the answer is delivered in the way of a Bible cookie. Over excrement.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »

Why is it that people seem to have no problem with saying God is forgiving, and yet Jesus died to bear the wrath of God?

Otherwise, what is the orthodox explanation of "Christ died for our sins according to Scripture", and I suppose he means Isaiah 53 which definitely does seem very punitive at the hands of God?

The standard answer is probably that the death of Christ was necessary for death to be abolished, and death was the result of our sins.

I've also heard, interestingly enough on this matter, something to the effect that the Word became Man and suffered and died and was buried, because His actions set in motion our suffering (it's been a while, so I don't recall precisely where I heard or read this, and I may not be portraying it quite correctly; as I recall, it was either in the work of some saint or another, or someone's interpretation of that work).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »

Read this:
http://orthodox-apologetics.blogspot.com/2011/02/propitiation-or-expiation-in-saint-paul.html (Propitiation or Expiation in Saint Paul)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »

He's baaaaa-aaaaaack.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »

Don`t think of God as an infinite offended God as fundamental christianity portraits Him. Don`t overload your conscience with sentiments of guilt and fear.. The Torah, the Bible, the prophets, the priests, JESUS and the Church are all helpers in our quest for God and happiness.. God is Love according to the Bible , so everything he provided , he did not do it so for our judgement but for our good.. The focuss and emphasis must not be so much on Christ's death which is a negative event but on his life and his teaching.. That if you are honest, good , smart, reasonable, just, kind and faithfull as in being capable to die for your ideals good things will happen to you.. You just need to fight for them, make some sacrifices and keep your faith, even in times of perril and unjustice when all seems to go down the pit.Keep your faith and you will be rewarded 100xtimes more.. All this things are for your good, for your development.. stages for your maturization in the process of becoming one with pure Reason(Logos).In any situations don`t lost hope and if you do good good you receive.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:02:46 AM by Azul » Logged

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »

Christ died for our sins means that He, being sinless, died in order to show us that our sins are not in the way of His love, that being sinless did not prevent Him to die for sinful people, to the contrary, He even loved dying for us. This showing of His infinite love is what heals us form the wounds of our sins, this is what it means that "He died for our sins", He died to heal us. Though, it was a big price to pay so to speak, only His Sacrifice could have truly healed us, but this again, is a way to phrase things, a different angle, but in no way does it diminish His Love, to the contrary, it proves it. Otherwise, there's no way to not mentioned our sins, for if you don't mention the illness, you cannot cure it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:11:40 AM by IoanC » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »

A friend of mine worked as a nurse in a burn unit.  One time they had a horribly burned man who had to have his muscles stretched, then grafted, stretched, then grafted.... in order to get the minimum of use of his body.  How he got that way was that he was the father of eight children, whose house burnt down.  Before the firemen arrived (basically to just extinguish the remaining embers, all that was left), he went into the house repeatedly and dug his children out of the inferno.  The children all came out with relatively minor burns.

We have a God who did the same.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »

A friend of mine worked as a nurse in a burn unit.  One time they had a horribly burned man who had to have his muscles stretched, then grafted, stretched, then grafted.... in order to get the minimum of use of his body.  How he got that way was that he was the father of eight children, whose house burnt down.  Before the firemen arrived (basically to just extinguish the remaining embers, all that was left), he went into the house repeatedly and dug his children out of the inferno.  The children all came out with relatively minor burns.

We have a God who did the same.

Copied, printed, taking it home to share with family.

Awesome post!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

Awesome post!

Agreed.  The point is - it does not matter who, or what, started the fire.

Not all those who wander are lost.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: