OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monk commits suicide  (Read 10742 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: June 20, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

A 27-year-old monk from Saint Anthony greek orthodox monastery has taken his own life.
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/06/suicide-incident-shocks-monks-st-anthony-monastery-in-arizona/

Lord have mercy!

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »

Cry Cry

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

I saw a news broad cast on youtube about this monastery, where Orthodox families were worried about their sons' lives because of abuse or something, ill see if i can find it. Either way, Lord, have mercy!

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

^^
Here is the youtube video that I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rw8SDZVsbc&feature=related

Modified to comply with rule regarding naked links. Priolo--please acquaint yourself with the rules ASAP. Thanks, Second Chance
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:06:00 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

I know two people who went down there for a visit a few months ago and they loved it. I don't understand what people's problem is. Do these people not understand what monasteries are about?

The families need to learn that if their children become monks, they must forsake all worldly things, including (in a way) family. If we even look at Mount Athos and other monasteries, the monks don't even leave if they get word that a family member is dying.

As for how much all of it costs (relating to that video), why does that even matter at all? Couldn't some of the money be coming from the Greek state?

Leave it to American news media to hype up and screw up a news investigation about a holy monastery that promotes rejection of worldly things...
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

This is very sad indeed. 

The title of this post, though, should more accurately say "former novice", since he had not been a resident of the monastery for some time before his tragic demise.

This man and his family are now in need of much prayer.  His non-Orthodox parents were vehemently against Orthodoxy and the monastery in particular; and constantly harassed the bishop, the monastery, and their son about his decision to become an Orthodox monk.  His dad has been known to join Orthodox discussion lists and send lengthy messages railing against all things Orthodox.  After 6 years, his son did leave the monastery and returned home to his parents; but now that he has left his parents and returned to the monastery to end his own life, his father is all the more enraged and blames Orthodoxy, the bishop, and the monastery, for his son’s decision to take his own life.  May the Lord remove this bitterness and heal these most painful wounds. 

The former novice left a lot of comments on YouTube in the months prior to his tragic end that suggest that he was not well.  He claimed, for instance, that the monastery buries monks while they are still living (to explain why monastics there and on Mt. Athos do not experience rigor mortis before their burial), that the Holy Fire in Jerusalem is a fake, that Elder Joseph the Hesychast was a charlatan, the monastery’s Elder is “from Satan”, and many other things that are beyond belief. 

In his public YouTube profile, it can be seen that this man was also viewing and "liking" a number of videos on machine guns and the making of explosives in recent months.  The fact that the report linked above states that he went to the monastery with two guns and a knife suggests that he may have intended to end more lives than just his own.  In the midst of such a tragedy, we can perhaps be relieved that more lives did not end on this sad day. 

May the Lord have mercy and give strength to all who are impacted by this tragedy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:05:50 PM by jah777 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »

The title of this post, though, should more accurately say "former novice", since he had not been a resident of the monastery for some time before his tragic demise.

I actually considered that myself but decided to use the words from the article.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »

Lord Have Mercy, Lord Have Mercy, Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos save us
Saint Anthony intercede for us
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »

It's sounds like this poor soul had some troubles. I pray that the Lord has mercy on His servant Anthony, and grants peace and comfort to his friends, family, and monastic brethren.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:48:00 PM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy !
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »

Lord have mercy!
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »

Lord have mercy

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

I know two people who went down there for a visit a few months ago and they loved it. I don't understand what people's problem is. Do these people not understand what monasteries are about?

The families need to learn that if their children become monks, they must forsake all worldly things, including (in a way) family. If we even look at Mount Athos and other monasteries, the monks don't even leave if they get word that a family member is dying.

As for how much all of it costs (relating to that video), why does that even matter at all? Couldn't some of the money be coming from the Greek state?

Leave it to American news media to hype up and screw up a news investigation about a holy monastery that promotes rejection of worldly things...

There are traditionally-minded people who have concerns about St. Anthony's Monastery and Fr. Ephraim. It's not just liberal people who don't "get" monasticism.  You say you know two people who loved it there; I know several people who loved it, and several people who thought it was a cult. All are committed Orthodox Christians.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:17:38 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »

Sad

Lord, have mercy!

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

There are traditionally-minded people who have concerns about St. Anthony's Monastery and Fr. Ephraim. It's not just liberal people who don't "get" monasticism.  You say you know two people who loved it there; I know several people who loved it, and several people who thought it was a cult. All are committed Orthodox Christians.

In 97 when I visited Mount Athos several monasteries pulled me aside to ask what I knew of Fr. Ephraim. Some even felt like police interrogations. These very traditional monastics were concerned by the young men who were showing up from America who had been influenced by the Ephraimite Monasteries. At least three different monasteries on Mount Athos told me to stay away from his monasteries in America because they were not healthy.

I think at lot has changed in 15 years and there are good places and bad places. Not every monk is a holy elder, monks are trying to struggle with their own salvation just like you and I and fail just like we do.

Joseph
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

In 97 when I visited Mount Athos several monasteries pulled me aside to ask what I knew of Fr. Ephraim. Some even felt like police interrogations. These very traditional monastics were concerned by the young men who were showing up from America who had been influenced by the Ephraimite Monasteries. At least three different monasteries on Mount Athos told me to stay away from his monasteries in America because they were not healthy.

I think at lot has changed in 15 years and there are good places and bad places. Not every monk is a holy elder, monks are trying to struggle with their own salvation just like you and I and fail just like we do.

What aspects of Elder Ephraim's practice were the Athonites you spoke with particularly concerned about?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

When I was in Greece I had an Old Calendarist and an Orthodox Christian both ask me about Elder Ephraim and if I'd ever been to Arizona. They showed me a calendar and stuff they'd gotten in the mail from there...

I know many Priests who've warned their faithful to watch out, not just at these, but all monasteries because the monastics are deep into the spiritual life and experts at monastic asceticism, but they don't know much about married asceticism and life in (but not of) the world.

I've even heard of some of Elder Ephraim's monks advising couples to fast from each other for a period of time, which inevitably caused undue tensions and conflict in the marriage, sometimes causing lustful passions to flare in one or each party and causing terrible strife between the couple...

I've also heard of other things, but monasteries are for going for quiet and solitude, for rest and spiritual excercises. But they aren't for us "worldly" ascetics to go seek advice and penance.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »

I've even heard of some of Elder Ephraim's monks advising couples to fast from each other for a period of time, which inevitably caused undue tensions and conflict in the marriage, sometimes causing lustful passions to flare in one or each party and causing terrible strife between the couple...

If the advice was for the couples to refrain from marital relations during lenten periods, what's the hassle in that? This is standard Orthodox teaching and advice. If certain Orthodox couples couldn't handle such advice, then it's not the fault of him who advised them.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »

If the advice was for the couples to refrain from marital relations during lenten periods, what's the hassle in that? This is standard Orthodox teaching and advice. If certain Orthodox couples couldn't handle such advice, then it's not the fault of him who advised them.

It wasn't for the Lenten Period it was part of their penance for confession. From what I've seen, it's wrong for anyone to get that personal in confession, the confessor has no business in your sexual activities in marriage.

Besides, we need to look at St Paul who says it is only to be done by consent of both husband and wife and as soon as lustful feelings begin to overtake them, they must cease.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:00:30 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »

If the advice was for the couples to refrain from marital relations during lenten periods, what's the hassle in that? This is standard Orthodox teaching and advice.
It's also standard teaching and advice to follow the teachings of the Apostle Paul who said only "by agreement". (cf. 1 Corinthians 7:5)

If certain Orthodox couples couldn't handle such advice, then it's not the fault of him who advised them.
Well, to a certain extent, it may be, if the monk who advised them doesn't know the couple all that well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:58:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »

If the advice was for the couples to refrain from marital relations during lenten periods, what's the hassle in that? This is standard Orthodox teaching and advice.
It's also standard teaching and advice to follow the teachings of the Apostle Paul who said only "by agreement". (cf. 1 Corinthians 7:5)

If certain Orthodox couples couldn't handle such advice, then it's not the fault of him who advised them.
Well, to a certain extent, it may be, if the monk who advised them doesn't know the couple all that well.

PtA, if you were Orthodox, and married, for as long as I have been, you would not be so presumptuous.  police
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »

Lord Have Mercy!

What aspects of Elder Ephraim's practice were the Athonites you spoke with particularly concerned about?

Arrogance, heresy (re-baptism) and harsh spiritual direction.

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »

PtA, if you were Orthodox, and married, for as long as I have been, you would not be so presumptuous.  police
If only I were being presumptuous, but since I didn't speak any certainties but only said "may be" and "if", I don't think I am being presumptuous.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »

Then your post was practically meaningless. I do have a healthy concept of economia, but I've also been around in the Orthodox world for far longer than you have.  police
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »

I saw a news broad cast on youtube about this monastery, where Orthodox families were worried about their sons' lives because of abuse or something, ill see if i can find it. Either way, Lord, have mercy!

My friend has visited there, and is there again. Trust me, that interview is full of crap. Elder Ephraim is a great man, and I find it disgusting that the people in that news broadcast lie like that. Those that don't lie just don't understand what it takes to be a monk.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »

What you are doing is making excuses for people. Keeping clear of sex is part of fasting.

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

What you are doing is making excuses for people. Keeping clear of sex is part of fasting.
No, not making excuses for anyone, especially since I don't make any claims to know what I'm talking about. Just tempering what can be an excessive asceticism by offering some advice from Scripture. Since it appears that St. Paul addressed the relationship between marital relations and fasting, I thought his words pertinent to this discussion.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »

My friend has visited there, and is there again. Trust me, that interview is full of crap. Elder Ephraim is a great man, and I find it disgusting that the people in that news broadcast lie like that. Those that don't lie just don't understand what it takes to be a monk.

I've been to St. Anthony's many times.  I have also gone to confession there.  I have never personally experienced excessive penances or despondency while there, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Whatever the truth is let it come to light.  We shouldn't be quick to condemn or defend.  We don't have the facts.  The most important thing we can do right now is pray for the soul of this man.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:28:03 AM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »

No, not making excuses for anyone, especially since I don't make any claims to know what I'm talking about. Just tempering what can be an excessive asceticism by offering some advice from Scripture. Since it appears that St. Paul addressed the relationship between marital relations and fasting, I thought his words pertinent to this discussion.

And, PtA, St Paul's words are adhered to by a great many Orthodox couples. You are still young in age and faith, and, if I'm not mistaken, not married. Do not dismiss or dilute what we, older in many ways, have to say.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »

And, PtA, St Paul's words are adhered to by a great many Orthodox couples. You are still young in age and faith, and, if I'm not mistaken, not married. Do not dismiss or dilute what we, older in many ways, have to say.
I'm not dismissing anything.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »

Your words:

Ever the obfuscator. Anything goes, except when it interferes with your own view.  Sad Sad Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »

Your words:

Ever the obfuscator. Anything goes, except when it interferes with your own view.  Sad Sad Roll Eyes
Believe what you want, LBK. It seems you'd rather do that than actually listen to anything I have to say in my defense.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »

It seems you'd rather do that than actually listen to anything I have to say in my defense.

Indeed. I respect the tradition and advice of the Church I belong to.  police
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »

It seems you'd rather do that than actually listen to anything I have to say in my defense.

However, what you believe about me is totally wrong, but you don't understand that because you won't listen.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

Indeed. I respect the tradition and advice of the Church I belong to.  police
However, what you believe about me is totally wrong, but you don't understand that because you won't listen.

Au contraire. Some things in life take the passage of much time, and, in most cases, effort, to "get". Once you get to my age and life experience, you might begin to understand.   Wink
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:54:07 AM by LBK » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »

Oh, this is ridiculous.  Take it to private messages for crying out loud!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »

Au contraire. Some things in life take the passage of much time, and, in most cases, effort, to "get". Once you get to my age and life experience, you might begin to understand.   Wink
And yet you refuse to understand anything I say about myself. That's the issue here.

"My mind's made up. Don't confuse me with the facts."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »

Oh, this is ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous, which is why I'm letting LBK have the last word on this.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »

Oh, this is ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous, which is why I'm letting LBK have the last word on this.

No, not making excuses for anyone, especially since I don't make any claims to know what I'm talking about.

Your words, PtA. They speak volumes.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:20 AM »

You are the only one trying to dismiss anyone else, in this case Peter, by saying "I'm older, I know better."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19:04 AM »

You are the only one trying to dismiss anyone else, in this case Peter, by saying "I'm older, I know better."
Odd that I should have your support, but thank you for understanding, nonetheless. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: