OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:20:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia: Number of unbelievers dwindling; Islam and Orthodoxy rise  (Read 541 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: December 24, 2013, 06:40:43 PM »

http://rbth.ru/news/2013/12/24/number_of_orthodox_christians_muslims_grows_in_russia_-_poll_32876.html

Orthodox Christianity is the dominant religion in Russia (68 percent) and 7 percent of the country's population is Muslim. No more than 1 percent of residents define themselves as Catholics, Protestants, Judaists (sic) and others, Levada Center said.

There were 50 percent of Orthodox Christians and 4 percent of Muslims in the country a decade ago, Levada Center told Interfax, referring to a poll of 1,600 Russians in November.

The number of nonbelievers dipped, from 32 percent to 19 percent.

Meanwhile, the number of churchgoers is growing. Forty-three percent of the respondents admitted six years ago that they never went to church; there are 35 percent of them now. The number of people who go to church weekly has grown by 4 percent.

Six percent of citizens go to church monthly, 3 percent do that twice or thrice a month, 16 percent once a year, and 17 percent several times a year.

The number of Christians who never made their communion has decreased from 78 percent in 2007 to 65 percent, Levada center said, adding that the number of Christians making their communion once a week or monthly had doubled, from 3 percent to 6 percent.

They don't have as much about Islam. But at least it's a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:42:02 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Fire-Bird2014

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian/Serbian Church

Have Faith!

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:49:16 AM »

Good news! Way to go, Russia!

For this I am forever grateful to Russia's President VLADIMIR PUTIN, who is faithful and very supportive of Orthodox Church. Somehow I see a parallel between Putin presidency and the reign of the Russian Tzar Alexander III (father of Nicholas II) His father Alexander II was assassinated by terrorists.

Alexander inherited the throne at a difficult time for Russia. One half of society was discontented at the slow pace of reforms, while the other half feared change. The Russian economy had still not recovered from the war with Turkey. Alexander III feared the terrorist attacks. In the 1880s, the People’s Will made at least five attempts on his life.

German in blood, Alexander III was Russian in character. He was physically strong and deeply religious. The emperor did not like lies, flattery, gossip, ceremonies or long speeches. In his private life, he was modest and simple.  He was an exemplary husband and a father. The emperor condemned frivolous behaviour and marital infidelity. Alexander believed that, as the nation’s first family, they should all set an example to their subjects. He greatly disliked his uncle, Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich, for his liberal beliefs and scandalous love affairs.

He liked eating, drinking and hunting, shooting dozens of bison. Although his manners might not have been polished, “his fine heart, his strong character, his calmness, his sense of fairness were all reflected in his face, giving him the look of true majesty.”

Alexander III had a steely will and character. He was a man of his word, royally noble and with royal, sublime intentions. He had neither personal ambition nor personal vanity. His persona was indissolubly linked to the good of Russia, as he understood it.  he had an outstanding mind in the sense of mind-heart, the kind of mind that enables one to look ahead, to sense what is coming. Such a mind is more important than mind-intellect.” Witte described Alexander III as a model family man, a model leader and a model master. He recalled: “For the emperor, there was no difference between word and deed.”

Alexander III is known as the "czar peacemaker" because under his rule the empire remained at peace except for minor military expeditions in central Asia. However, he was/is criticized heavily. The Tzar died convinced that he had fulfilled his main duty in life – to protect Russia from upheavals. He did so by ruling with an iron fist and a steadfast mind. In 1907, when Sergei Witte was asked how to save Russia, he pointed to a portrait of Alexander III and said: “Resurrect him!

http://www.answers.com/topic/alexander-iii-1

His main ideas for bright future of Russia were Orthodox Faith, Monarchy, Strong families and strong Russian society. We can only imagine what Russia would become if it followed this principle of ПРАВОСЛАВИЕ, САМОДЕРЖАВИЕ, НАРОДНОСТЬ.
The Bolsheviks murdered the next Tsar with his entire family and deprived Russian people of its religion. No wonder the country is still in pain.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.
Привнесите светлое, и тьма уидет!!!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »

If you want to discuss alleged greatness of Putin, go to Politics.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fire-Bird2014

Have Faith!

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »

Putin is not my hero, but the things he does to support Orthodox Church deserve recognition! This contributes to the discussion of a growing number of believers in Russia. Sorry if it looks like a political statement.

Part of "Christian News" is good news Russian Government actually backs up religion vs fights it and persecutes it.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »

http://rbth.ru/news/2013/12/24/number_of_orthodox_christians_muslims_grows_in_russia_-_poll_32876.html

Orthodox Christianity is the dominant religion in Russia (68 percent) and 7 percent of the country's population is Muslim. No more than 1 percent of residents define themselves as Catholics, Protestants, Judaists (sic) and others, Levada Center said.

There were 50 percent of Orthodox Christians and 4 percent of Muslims in the country a decade ago, Levada Center told Interfax, referring to a poll of 1,600 Russians in November.

The number of nonbelievers dipped, from 32 percent to 19 percent.

Meanwhile, the number of churchgoers is growing. Forty-three percent of the respondents admitted six years ago that they never went to church; there are 35 percent of them now. The number of people who go to church weekly has grown by 4 percent.

Six percent of citizens go to church monthly, 3 percent do that twice or thrice a month, 16 percent once a year, and 17 percent several times a year.

The number of Christians who never made their communion has decreased from 78 percent in 2007 to 65 percent, Levada center said, adding that the number of Christians making their communion once a week or monthly had doubled, from 3 percent to 6 percent.

They don't have as much about Islam. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

Exactly, it's a step, a baby step, but still needed.  I think it's way too soon to bring out the champagne and start celebrating (most people, I suspect, would agree) and we have to admit to ourselves that the path for Russia or any Orthodox country wanting to see some return of religious life as it was before the October Revolution or before that particular country's overall secularization will take a long time, if ever.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »

Ok, so people who don't really care used to describe themselves as atheist, because that was the thing to do in the USSR. Now the social and political expectation is to describe yourself as Orthodox (or Muslim, if you belong a traditionally Muslim ethnicity), so that is what they do.

I don't really see the great blessing in all this. During communism, divorce became a normal thing to do, and now it's still around 70% in Russia. The difference is that in communism, only serious believers who wear ready to suffer persecution for Christ, married in Church. Nowadays many people do, and the requests the MP gets for second and third church weddings have skyrocketed. Holiness of marriage?

Ikonomia can also be practised in the other direction and I suggest it is time for the MP to give the mystery of Holy Matrimony only to regular church attendants who have a serious intention to lead a lifelong Christian married life.

Btw, actual church attendance on an average sunday (not on Easter or Transfiguration) would be a much more relevant figure. A lot of people go on such holidays and then they will answer they occasionally go to Church. Or even if they go into a church building once a while in order to light a candle. Because even that was considered close to treason in the USSR, where many people would avoid entering an "active" church (many churches were used as musea or cinemas instead) for fear of political repressions.
Fire-Bird2014

Have Faith!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »

Thank you for your good wishes! We truly hope to see Russia back to its true religious state. People were happier and families were stronger. Good news to well-wishers: http://www.pravmir.com/mother-of-god-belt-arrives-in-moscow-80-photos-video/

Estimated amount of people to attend Churches and bow to the Belt of Mother of God (from Mt Athos) reached 3 million 100,000 in 40 days. No political rally could gather that many people. Smiley Churches in Russia that I visited in Sergiev Posad were crowded! Hard to find a place to stand.

As for divorce rates, I believe that "shock therapy" of the 90-s produced the "lost generation" and a large number of orphans (watch the film THE ITALIAN http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450450/ to see how bad it was). 

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »

And 1.3% are Buddhists.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

Buddhism is one of 4 traditional Russian religions.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Russia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: