OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mods at CAF  (Read 1494 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: June 20, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

It seems the mods over at Catholic Answers Forums want me to become Orthodox.

Tasting is Believing
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

It seems you like gossiping about others.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

Um, that's interesting...

Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »

Huh I'd agree with Michał Kalina on this, but it's most likely (99.9%) not that they're trying to convert you, but that they are expressing their views, being Orthodox Christians, and loving their faith.  laugh

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »

Offer it up to God.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »

People are crazy sometimes, just ignore them  Smiley
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »

Just a better reason to pray for them. It is not for me to judge anyone. I am a sinner and got my own sins-problems to
deal with it.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »

Anyone here like deep-fried eggplant?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »

My grandma used to make good eggplant cutlets.

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:44 PM »

People are crazy sometimes, just ignore them  Smiley

Just bothers me.  I posted a long history about my spiritual search, how I'm currently struggling and what I'm struggling with, and they delete my thread even though I said nothing incendiary about the RCC or anybody.  I'll post the text here, if I must, to prove myself.  I posted it again, and they banned me.  So, it seems as if they're not concerned with having any Catholics offer me advice.

Tasting is Believing
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »

I got banned once, and I have no idea why. I came back a while later, with a different computer and a different user i.d.

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

I just received this e-mail from one of the mods:

Chris,

You signed up to Catholic Answers Forums in 2006. Since then, you've frequently posted about your crises of faith, your mental health concerns like depression and suicidal thoughts, your scrupulosity, your doubts regarding the faith and your curiosity about other religions like Islam, Buddhism, Orthodoxy, and atheism, and your vocational pursuits of religious life, the priesthood, and marriage. Your posts go from typical discussion to deep depressions to angry and abusive rants full of blame that others pushed you into acting in inappropriate ways. You frequently complain that you agree with anything a person of authority tells you but later regret it, feeling like you were not honest with the person and his guidance is therefore invalid so you ignore his guidance, feel more empty, and search elsewhere where you again rush in earnestly to repeat the cycle.

It is clear to us that you are suffering and that you are longing deeply for God. We know that God loves you and has called you by name. For that reason, we've counseled and guided but have allowed you to continue posting at Catholic Answers Forums. Your threats and attacks have only escalated and it is clear that the time you're spending at Catholic Answers Forums, OrthodoxChristianity.net, and other online religious forums is hurting you and contributing to your suffering. It is in your best interest that you be under the spiritual authority of a local priest or spiritual director who is aware of your full history so that he or she may place you under obedience to stop visiting all of the online sites and forums and to focus on your local community where support can come from your psychiatrist, psychologist, and/or counselor working in conjunction with your spiritual advisor and the church community.

It is out of love for you and concern for your salvation that I give you the following direction:

• Print this email, without edit, and take it to your Catholic priest and the OCA priest you're consulting.
    Ask your Catholic priest to place you under his spiritual authority and to guide you until you are connected to a spiritual director skilled in working with people who are afflicted by scrupulosity.
    Be obedient to your priest's direction, even if you disagree or think he doesn't understand.

I think the mod is right.  Except for the scrupulosity part.

So, this may have to be my last post.  But I'm horrible at quitting cold turkey.

Tasting is Believing
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »

God be with ye.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »

Chris,

You signed up to Catholic Answers Forums in 2006. Since then, you've frequently posted about your crises of faith, your mental health concerns like depression and suicidal thoughts, your scrupulosity, your doubts regarding the faith and your curiosity about other religions like Islam, Buddhism, Orthodoxy, and atheism, and your vocational pursuits of religious life, the priesthood, and marriage. Your posts go from typical discussion to deep depressions to angry and abusive rants full of blame that others pushed you into acting in inappropriate ways. You frequently complain that you agree with anything a person of authority tells you but later regret it, feeling like you were not honest with the person and his guidance is therefore invalid so you ignore his guidance, feel more empty, and search elsewhere where you again rush in earnestly to repeat the cycle.

It is clear to us that you are suffering and that you are longing deeply for God. We know that God loves you and has called you by name. For that reason, we've counseled and guided but have allowed you to continue posting at Catholic Answers Forums. Your threats and attacks have only escalated and it is clear that the time you're spending at Catholic Answers Forums, OrthodoxChristianity.net, and other online religious forums is hurting you and contributing to your suffering. It is in your best interest that you be under the spiritual authority of a local priest or spiritual director who is aware of your full history so that he or she may place you under obedience to stop visiting all of the online sites and forums and to focus on your local community where support can come from your psychiatrist, psychologist, and/or counselor working in conjunction with your spiritual advisor and the church community.

It is out of love for you and concern for your salvation that I give you the following direction:

• Print this email, without edit, and take it to your Catholic priest and the OCA priest you're consulting.
    Ask your Catholic priest to place you under his spiritual authority and to guide you until you are connected to a spiritual director skilled in working with people who are afflicted by scrupulosity.
    Be obedient to your priest's direction, even if you disagree or think he doesn't understand.

So, this may have to be my last post.  But I'm horrible at quitting cold turkey.

Some wonderful advice there.  This website is more tares than wheat, IMO.  If I knew what was good for me, I would leave too.  I pray that the Lord gives you the strength and a little to me too. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

Hi. I just read this thread for the first time. (I have email-notification of new threads, but I don't check it all the time.) Kind of a strange thread, but I sympathize with your difficulties.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »

This website is more tares than wheat, IMO.  If I knew what was good for me, I would leave too. 

I find this website to be full of great wisdom, and have learned countless things about my Faith from it.

Some folks like to engage in negative debates, bully others, criticize and in fact, add nothing of true quality to any discussion.  They just seem to have nothing better to do with their time, or perhaps they simply like to confuse folks and accidentally, or not, make them doubt Orthodoxy.

Just stay away from those posters, and those threads.

Don't discount the trees dripping with fruit, because of a few rotten tree stumps sharing their forest.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »

Peace & Grace to you Big Chris aka Mint  Smiley

I have read some of your posts of which some I understand – some I do not. I too think these mods are offering you some sound advice. I commend you for recognizing that yourself with the exception of the scrupulosity part.

Consider that the only thing being suggested to quit ‘cold turkey’ (for a time anyway) are these type of web sites. You would not be ‘quitting’ anything of a spiritual quest but transferring your efforts toward the Church and Christ Himself.  I can only speak for myself but as wonderful of a blessing as OC.net has been in my life it only serves to expand my knowledge and offer spiritual insight and challenges to help me grow in my faith. It could not (for me anyway) lead to faith or fill the emptiness in my soul that can only be eternally filled by the living God our Lord Jesus Christ. It certainly could however be used against me as a distraction thus postponing my repentance.  If you follow their advice and get together with a Priest (Catholicism or Orthodoxy), accepting his guidance and authority, partake of the sacraments, etc.  and put the same energy and effort into these things as you have these web sites you may find it far more rewarding to your spiritual life.

I don’t know you but offer my love as God does. I pray for your journey and enrichment. I pray that you find the Truth and comfort in God that you have already begun looking for.

May God continue to bless you, and may you respond to that Grace and begin your Journey.

Please pray for me too, as I am a repenting sinner that needs to continue turning God’s Grace into reality by my own actions and obedience as well.

In Christ,

Scott

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
JoyceV925

Faith: Catechumen - Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

<snip>

I don't think you need to quit cold turkey but I do think that engaging at so many forums is just spinning you on your heels. I agree with the advice to seek guidance from one spiritual advisor you feel comfortable with for help. At least to get a sound foundation somewhere.

Good luck to you! God bless you!
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

What do they consider "scrupulosity" and why do they think it is a problem for you?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »

Been there before bro, I mean seriously walked your shoes. May God have mercy on you.

The internet has become nasty as of late, and I'm sure I have contributed to that nastiness but sometimes for your mental health you need to walk away from it for awhile. Seriously I was addicted to message boards for years and it was only recently that I can leave it at will because it's been that awful (not here, just many other places I frequent)

I think what the moderator sent you was awesome and truly cares.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »

Absolutely.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »

This website is more tares than wheat, IMO.

Like you know what a tare is. Enjoy your yachtside view.

And you are welcome for always bring you your daily dose of:

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »

Interestingly you were on my mind today when I was given my yearly raise.  I was thinking how my raise probably equals what you make in a year.  I felt such pity for you.  I will light a candle at church for you on Sunday while I'm vacationing in Munich.     

For the easily scandalized: Note the sarcasm.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:41:12 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »

Interestingly you were on my mind today when I was given my yearly raise.  I was thinking how my raise probably equals what you make in a year.  I felt such pity for you.  I will light a candle at church for you on Sunday while I'm vacationing in Munich.     
And my bonus /smug

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

I was wondering what orthonorm was talking about ... Actually, I'm still not sure I understand it.  laugh

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »

I was wondering what orthonorm was talking about ... Actually, I'm still not sure I understand it.  laugh

Don't worry.  I only understand 1 out of 100 of Orthonorm's posts.  I'm convinced that the only people who understand him consistently are those young male members here whose worship of him does not look altogether different from that of the Shaivites. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 12:09:38 AM »

Interestingly you were on my mind today when I was given my yearly raise.  I was thinking how my raise probably equals what you make in a year.  I felt such pity for you.  I will light a candle at church for you on Sunday while I'm vacationing in Munich.      

For the easily scandalized: Note the sarcasm.  Tongue

I was wondering what orthonorm was talking about ... Actually, I'm still not sure I understand it.  laugh

Don't worry.  I only understand 1 out of 100 of Orthonorm's posts.  I'm convinced that the only people who understand him consistently are those young male members here whose worship of him does not look altogether different from that of the Shaivites.  

You don't look good in green.

EDIT: Not referring to your rooms full of Benjamins either.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:10:29 AM by orthonorm » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »

Don't worry.  I only understand 1 out of 100 of Orthonorm's posts.  I'm convinced that the only people who understand him consistently are those young male members here whose worship of him does not look altogether different from that of the Shaivites. 

Join the ranks of the enlightened ones, and you too can understand.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »

Whenever I get banned on an internet forum, I intone these words into the void:

Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime,
Said then the lost Arch-Angel, this the seat
That we must change for Heav'n, this mournful gloom
For that celestial light? Be it so, since he
Who now is Sovran can dispose and bid
What shall be right: fardest from him is best
Whom reason hath equald, force hath made supream
Above his equals. Farewel happy Fields
Where Joy for ever dwells: Hail horrours, hail
Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what I should be, all but less then he
Whom Thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th' Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n.

Iconodule, Please give the source citation of quotes like this, we do not want to breach copyright laws.
 Thanks,
Thomas
 Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:07:38 AM by Thomas » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

Whenever I get banned on an internet forum, I intone these words into the void:

Is this the Region, this the Soil, the Clime,
Said then the lost Arch-Angel, this the seat
That we must change for Heav'n, this mournful gloom
For that celestial light? Be it so, since he
Who now is Sovran can dispose and bid
What shall be right: fardest from him is best
Whom reason hath equald, force hath made supream
Above his equals. Farewel happy Fields
Where Joy for ever dwells: Hail horrours, hail
Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what I should be, all but less then he
Whom Thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th' Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n.

Iconodule, Please give the source citation of quotes like this, we do not want to breach copyright laws.
 Thanks,
Thomas
 Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

I assure you, John Milton will not be pressing charges any time soon.

For this public show of insolence toward a moderator, even after the many warnings you've received before for this very behavior, you are receiving this warning to last for the maximum duration of 99 days. If you deem this action unfair, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

Iconodule, Thank you for providing the source. OC.Net requires sources when quotations are given. Was this a quote from Paradise Lost?

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: