Author Topic: Seeing the Invisible  (Read 246 times)

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Seeing the Invisible
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Scientist somehow used radio telescopes around the earth to get a picture of the event horizon of a black hole located 55 million light years away at the center of M87:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/world/black-hole-photo-scn/index.html

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Re: Seeing the Invisible
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
1 light year ~ let's see: Wasn't that something like 136, 000 miles pre second ~ times ~ how many seconds in a year ~ holy rolliey polly
55, 000,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ~ how many seconds is that ```

How do we know that's a black hole ~ yeh I've heard/read but still ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Theoretically, a black hole will have an Accretion disk because of gravitational and frictional forces.  From the picture, it looks like an Accretion disk.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
Oh, no ~ the speed of Light is 186,282 miles per second ~ and there are I think 86,400 seconds in a day ~ I could be wrong ~ but 186,000 X 86,400 X 365 = WOW X 55 Million ```

If this thing is that far away ~ they could tell us it's made of chocolate ~ that picture was taken of something (they say) 55 million years for the light to get here ~ it might not be there now ~ how do they know it's that far away ~ did they send a beam of light ~ and wait for the light to return and count the minutes ~ no ~ that would take twice 55 million years ```

Well, dunno ```
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:39:19 PM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
I think it looks like a cigarette lighter burning through a lamp shade ```

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
Accretion disk.

You must have studied this sort of thing ```

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Yea, the Universe and Outer space with Stars and Constellations etc.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »
It’s the eye of Sauron searching for that pesky little Baggins.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
Theoretically, a black hole will have an Accretion disk because of gravitational and frictional forces.  From the picture, it looks like an Accretion disk.
Pretty cool. This is the first picture ever taken of a black hole.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:54:17 AM »
If only the Mayans had been right...

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.