OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions No Orthodox Christian Can Answer, Part 2  (Read 1048 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: March 26, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »

As a supplement to the last thread, I now offer part two. Just try and answer these questions, if you dare!

1) There are 8 tones in Orthodox music. There are 12 major and 12 minor keys in western music, adding up to 24 total. 24 divided by 8 equals 3. Think about it... three. Is this where the doctrine of the Trinity comes from?

2) If St. John Chrysostom is really golden mouthed, then why are his sermons so frustrating to read, both in English and in the original Hebrew?

3) If St. Photius were marching forward in time at the pace of 1 day per day, and St. Justin Popovich were marching backward in time at the pace of 1 day per day, on what day and in what year would they meet each other?

(Yes, I'm bored...)

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »

1. Uh...

2. They're really long but if you give them a chance, they've got some good lessons.

3. Uh...

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

Since you are bored, I have a recommendation to make. Catch the next Pre-sanctified in a parish without pews. Not only will you have a good workout, you may even be entertained.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »

Since you are bored, I have a recommendation to make. Catch the next Pre-sanctified in a parish without pews. Not only will you have a good workout, you may even be entertained.

I've been to about a dozen parishes in my life, and all but one had pews... and that parish is about 200 miles away from where I'm at now...  Cool

But I could just do prostrations right here I suppose...

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »

Now is always the best time for prostrations! (i.e. drop down and give me 20) police
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:46:08 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »

1) There are 8 tones in Orthodox music. There are 12 major and 12 minor keys in western music, adding up to 24 total. 24 divided by 8 equals 3. Think about it... three. Is this where the doctrine of the Trinity comes from?

And every major key has a corresponding minor key with the exact same notes on it (C=Am), a musical tie to the incarnation?

2) If St. John Chrysostom is really golden mouthed, then why are his sermons so frustrating to read, both in English and in the original Hebrew?

Becasue you're trying to read and he didn't write with his mouth.

3) If St. Photius were marching forward in time at the pace of 1 day per day, and St. Justin Popovich were marching backward in time at the pace of 1 day per day, on what day and in what year would they meet each other?

Any particular method for accounting to stop and eat three times a day and any stops that would have to be made for bathroom breaks? Also, if they are marching, they may take paths that never cross each other.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »

2.  I'm pretty sure that SJC wrote in Greek.  just saying. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

2. They're really long but if you give them a chance, they've got some good lessons.

So Chrysostom DID originally write in Hebrew.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

Why would someone from Japan write in Greek?  Huh

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

my brother...if this is a quip (and I assume that it is), I am either a) too dumb or b) too incoherent right now to understand it.  Otherwise...i would really have nothing to say.   Cool

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »

2.  St. John got the name because of his extensive dental work.

As a supplement to the last thread, I now offer part two. Just try and answer these questions, if you dare!

(Yes, I'm bored...)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

(Yes, I'm bored...)

I can't wait to wear my grill to Pascha.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

(Yes, I'm bored...)

I can't wait to wear my grill to Pascha.

When the bells are ringing, you should be blinging.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »

The tides come in and the tides come out, you can't explain that!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »

So Chrysostom DID originally write in Hebrew.

St. Paul whispered to him in Hebrew, St. John wrote it down in shorthand and translated it to Greek later on.
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

I package that stuff at work. People put it in with their laundry and let the washing machine do all the work.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »

I package that stuff at work. People put it in with their laundry and let the washing machine do all the work.

So the tides come in and the stains come out.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:59 AM »

#1) Rather, I would say that this fact is a Holy coincidence to represent the doctrine of the Trinity rather than the reason for the doctrine itself.

#2) Because they were not written in Hebrew but Greek. Secondly, because most translations of them are really horrible and confusing in sentence structure. Thirdly, they were meant to be heard, not read. I would love to find audiobooks for his homilies.

#3) Pope Nicholas' backside?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »

#2) Because they were not written in Hebrew but Greek.

We already covered this. Japanese people don't use Greek.

Secondly, because most translations of them are really horrible and confusing in sentence structure. Thirdly, they were meant to be heard, not read. I would love to find audiobooks for his homilies.

I tried saying them out loud so they could be heard, and they were even worse!

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

Secondly, because most translations of them are really horrible and confusing in sentence structure. Thirdly, they were meant to be heard, not read. I would love to find audiobooks for his homilies.

Did you try reading them out loud in the original hebrew used by the Japanese?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »

Wait... is original Japanese hebrew different than koine hebrew? I'll try both tonight, and see if it helps!

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »

Wait... is original Japanese hebrew different than koine hebrew? I'll try both tonight, and see if it helps!

If that doesn't work, have St John  read them to you while you place your attention on his grill.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »

#2) Because they were not written in Hebrew but Greek. Secondly, because most translations of them are really horrible and confusing in sentence structure. Thirdly, they were meant to be heard, not read. I would love to find audiobooks for his homilies.

You realize that reading "silently" is a relatively recent phenomenon?

Nothing was ever meant to read and not heard. They didn't even know of such a thing.

This is an interesting subject. Check it out.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »

Ahem.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »

Ahem.

Oh, sorry, hmm...  I guess I meant really really olden times, like the 1950s or something  Smiley

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »

(Yes, I'm bored...)

Obviously this is joking, but I figured I'd try to answer it seriously...

3) Well time would pass by, and so St. Photius would simply be going as we do, 1 day per day, 1 year per year. St. Justin Popovich would be stuck in place because he would move backwards with the passage of each day, 1 day - 1 day is obviously 0. Therefore they would meet in the same year St. Justin Popovich began his "backward" movement, it will have taken St. Justin no time, whereas it would have taken St. Photius over 1,000 years to reach St. Justin.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »

(Yes, I'm bored...)

Obviously this is joking, but I figured I'd try to answer it seriously...

3) Well time would pass by, and so St. Photius would simply be going as we do, 1 day per day, 1 year per year. St. Justin Popovich would be stuck in place because he would move backwards with the passage of each day, 1 day - 1 day is obviously 0. Therefore they would meet in the same year St. Justin Popovich began his "backward" movement, it will have taken St. Justin no time, whereas it would have taken St. Photius over 1,000 years to reach St. Justin.

It's 6:00 am.  Rise and shine.  And don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there today.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

I love lamp.

I'm going to need this.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

I love lamp.

speaking of which, Anchorman 2 is coming out next year!!!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »

Another question that I have been thinking about recently, and which will require a good answer by next Sunday: how do you politely challenge an orthodox priest to a bare-fisted boxing match?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

Another question that I have been thinking about recently, and which will require a good answer by next Sunday: how do you politely challenge an orthodox priest to a bare-fisted boxing match?

There are less painful ways of getting yourself excommunicated.  Try masturbation. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »

There are a few qualifiers:
1) He must be Russian.
2) He must have served in the Russian Army or Border Guards, preferably a Spetsnaz unit.
3) Get him drunk.

Once you've figured out the first two, the last one should be relatively easy as it is the paschal season.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »

Two further questions no Orthodox Christian can answer*:

1) Why doesn't Saint Vladimir's Seminary Press let you preview their books on Amazon?

2) Why does AFR need so much money to run things? They have a general breakdown on the site, but I still don't understand what costs so much.

*Though if someone can, it'd be appreciated.

Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »

Actually it's Assyrian Aramaic, it just looks like Japanese Hebrew to the untrained eye.

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: