Author Topic: Etiquette for Noobs  (Read 459 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
Etiquette for Noobs
« on: August 19, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
What is the absolute least that any visitor to any church should be careful to observe?
Pretend you're an evangelical.

1. Crossing oneself either right to left or according to one's tradition.
2. Veneration of the icons
3. Smelling of the incense.
4. Standing at the appropriate times, according to a doctor's recommendation.
5. Something else.

Thanks! By the way, it's a poll, so everybody has to vote. Just kidding. Don't vote if you don't want to. How's that for psychology?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:47:05 AM by mcarmichael »
"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Etiquette for Noobs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Any church, or any Orthodox church? If the latter, I would say wear respectful clothing (no shirts with swear words, beach wear, etc.) and don't go out of your way to be rude or distracting.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:52:38 PM by wynd »

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
I have to confess, on this subject, the first time I watched a video of the Divine Liturgy (on Youtube, an Antiochian parish in Montreal), I incorrectly assumed the deacon's doors led to the bathroom.   :-[

Fortunately, before I even reached the end of that video, I realized their true function. 

Had I not, that could have caused the most extreme example of a N00b breach of etiquette imaginable.

~

I've only been through the deacons doors in an EO church once, an Old Calendarist parish actually, where the priest, who was a very nice man, wanted to show me the Table of Prothesis and a few other things I had never seen before.

In the Coptic church, we go through the iconostasis into rooms on either side of the altar where we receive the Eucharist.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Etiquette for Noob
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Any church, or any Orthodox church? If the latter, I would say wear respectful clothing (no shirts with swear words, beach wear, etc.) and don't go out of your way to be rude or distracting.

+1

Also, its a good idea to keep clear of the center of the Solea, especially the area around the icon on display that dy, during the liturgy itself, and obviously, do not block the deacons doors or the Holy Doors.  I think its a good idea not to venerate the icons on the iconostasis during the liturgy. 

You should try to avoid moving around excessively.  The last thing you want to do is inadvertantly get in the way of the Great Entrance, and there isnt always an obvious aisle like in a Protestant church.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
I have to confess, on this subject, the first time I watched a video of the Divine Liturgy (on Youtube, an Antiochian parish in Montreal), I incorrectly assumed the deacon's doors led to the bathroom.   :-[

Fortunately, before I even reached the end of that video, I realized their true function. 

Had I not, that could have caused the most extreme example of a N00b breach of etiquette imaginable.

I thought about adding "Don't try to go into the altar" to my list above, but I thought that would be too obvious.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »
What is the absolute least that any visitor to any church should be careful to observe?
Pretend you're an evangelical.

1. Crossing oneself either right to left or according to one's tradition.
2. Veneration of the icons
3. Smelling of the incense.
4. Standing at the appropriate times, according to a doctor's recommendation.
5. Something else.

Thanks! By the way, it's a poll, so everybody has to vote. Just kidding. Don't vote if you don't want to. How's that for psychology?

What I did was just show up and watch . . .  after a few months of intermittent visiting to the same parish I slowly began to participate directly.  Crossing came first, next the bows and prostrations, veneration of icons next and finally the lighting of candles.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
Make sure you make the sign of the cross for the Holy Trinity at least. What you're asking was a question for me for much longer than it should have been, as the parishes we've attended are very mixed, many converts and backgrounds, and so simply observing others produced little but confusion. It really helped me to attend a different parish a few times where everyone followed a (Russian) pattern. In my experience, some middle-aged Greeks do as little as possible, maybe with an idea that that's American.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
Bring some food & drink for coffee hour. 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:08:52 PM by Luke »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »
Stand when everyone stands and rotate when everyone rotates.
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »
There are other things, however, which are different in different places and countries... In regard to these and all other variable observances which may be met anywhere, one is at liberty to comply with them or not as he chooses; and there is no better rule for the wise and serious Christian in this matter, than to conform to the practice which he finds prevailing in the Church to which it may be his lot to come. For such a custom, if it is clearly not contrary to the faith nor to sound morality, is to be held as a thing indifferent, and ought to be observed for the sake of fellowship with those among whom we live.

-- St. Augustine (d. 430), Letter 54.1-2

When in Hippo do as the Hippos do.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:39:23 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 04:42:03 AM »
Make sure you make the sign of the cross for the Holy Trinity at least.

I don't particularly agree with this. If a "noob" feels comfortable, certainly, but that may be something that comes later. I've been to parishes where every mention of the Holy Trinity (or any of its parts), the Theotokos, etc. elicits a near-uniform sign of the cross response from the parishioners. And I've been to parishes where only a smattering of folks do this, and only on rare occasion.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make the sign of the cross, but I don't think it's a "must" for a new attendee.

I like Asteriktos' (and St. Augustine's...) advice. Don't overthink it. Aim for generally respecting the services, particularly during Gospel readings and the procession of communion. Basically, Nick's instructions.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »

That's what it's all about.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »

Hokios Pokios!
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »

Hokios Pokios!

How did you know my baptismal name?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"