OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:17:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Church as "The Lazy Servant"  (Read 1984 times) Average Rating: 0
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« on: June 18, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »

We should all know the parable of the talents:

“Now the one who had received one valuable coin came and said, ‘Master, I knew that you are a hard man. You harvest grain where you haven’t sown. You gather crops where you haven’t spread seed.  So I was afraid. And I hid my valuable coin in the ground. Here, you have what’s yours.’ 

“His master replied, ‘You evil and lazy servant! You knew that I harvest grain where I haven’t sown and that I gather crops where I haven’t spread seed?  In that case, you should have turned my money over to the bankers so that when I returned, you could give me what belonged to me with interest.  Therefore, take from him the valuable coin and give it to the one who has ten coins.  Those who have much will receive more, and they will have more than they need. But as for those who don’t have much, even the little bit they have will be taken away from them.  Now take the worthless servant and throw him outside into the darkness.’

“People there will be weeping and grinding their teeth."

Matt 25:24-30

The parable can just as easily be applied to churches, ecclesiology and any institution just as much as it can apply to our personal, spiritual lives; in fact, the parable provides an excellent lesson for a tried and true business model.  What I want to ask - in light of some of the other threads currently floating about the forum concerning the Orthodox Church's fidelity to the "deposit of faith" and Tradition - is:  Does the Orthodox Church fit the characterization of the "lazy servant" who has held so steadfastly to not changing anything about the talent which he has received that, in the end, his resoluteness proves to be his damnation?

In my opinion, it does.  Here's why I think so.

The Orthodox Church projects the image of a glass house sterilely protecting what was put into it in the first century.  While Tradition has been a safeguard against liberal innovators who think that theology can perpetually created anew in each generation, it has also discouraged constructive insights that augment the true faith.  Too many Orthodox bishops over the centuries, afraid of new ideas, have held too great of a cavalier attitude as they dare not see any minutiae of the deposit of faith be lost to their administration.  As such, it is my opinion that such fear has become endemic to the very ecclesial structure of the Church itself and, through such fear, it has become the "lazy servant," afraid of having any new, constructive ideas at all.  It seems plainly evident that the retort, "Why should there be new ideas?" is the prima facie modus operandi of such fear.

I hope there are some here who can prove me wrong.

Tasting is Believing
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »

No one can prove you wrong unless you have first proved yourself wrong.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »

No one can prove you wrong unless you have first proved yourself wrong.

No doubt.  While I hope a good discussion can be had regarding this subject, I am open to being proven wrong.  I am arrogant but Not so arrogant as that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:12:38 PM by Big Chris » Logged

Tasting is Believing
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »

We should all know the parable of the talents:

“Now the one who had received one valuable coin came and said, ‘Master, I knew that you are a hard man. You harvest grain where you haven’t sown. You gather crops where you haven’t spread seed.  So I was afraid. And I hid my valuable coin in the ground. Here, you have what’s yours.’ 

“His master replied, ‘You evil and lazy servant! You knew that I harvest grain where I haven’t sown and that I gather crops where I haven’t spread seed?  In that case, you should have turned my money over to the bankers so that when I returned, you could give me what belonged to me with interest.  Therefore, take from him the valuable coin and give it to the one who has ten coins.  Those who have much will receive more, and they will have more than they need. But as for those who don’t have much, even the little bit they have will be taken away from them.  Now take the worthless servant and throw him outside into the darkness.’

“People there will be weeping and grinding their teeth."

Matt 25:24-30

The parable can just as easily be applied to churches, ecclesiology and any institution just as much as it can apply to our personal, spiritual lives; in fact, the parable provides an excellent lesson for a tried and true business model.  What I want to ask - in light of some of the other threads currently floating about the forum concerning the Orthodox Church's fidelity to the "deposit of faith" and Tradition - is:  Does the Orthodox Church fit the characterization of the "lazy servant" who has held so steadfastly to not changing anything about the talent which he has received that, in the end, his resoluteness proves to be his damnation?

In my opinion, it does.  Here's why I think so.

The Orthodox Church projects the image of a glass house sterilely protecting what was put into it in the first century.  While Tradition has been a safeguard against liberal innovators who think that theology can perpetually created anew in each generation, it has also discouraged constructive insights that augment the true faith.  Too many Orthodox bishops over the centuries, afraid of new ideas, have held too great of a cavalier attitude as they dare not see any minutiae of the deposit of faith be lost to their administration.  As such, it is my opinion that such fear has become endemic to the very ecclesial structure of the Church itself and, through such fear, it has become the "lazy servant," afraid of having any new, constructive ideas at all.  It seems plainly evident that the retort, "Why should there be new ideas?" is the prima facie modus operandi of such fear.

I hope there are some here who can prove me wrong.

Wrong is wrong.  It needs no proof.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »

Perhaps you would enjoy this article, by Abp. HILARION: http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/11/1/2.aspx
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »

Must be a lazy servant which survived 500 years of Turkish oppression.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »

What did this lazy servant do beyond keep its first century faith secure in a safe deposit box for those 500 years?

This is the scope of the OP.

Tasting is Believing
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »

This deserves a standing ovation just for its prose.

But I disagree with you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

Perhaps you would enjoy this article, by Abp. HILARION: http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/11/1/2.aspx

I haven't had a chance to read the full article yet, but I thank you for it.  I enjoy his interpretation of the same parable:

It is obvious why Christian faith should be “apostolic”: transmitted by God the Word become flesh, it was passed on to the apostles as a talent for them to multiply in order to bear fruit, thirty-fold and sixty-fold and an hundred-fold in the history of different nations.

The matter then becomes an issue of hermeneutics.

Tasting is Believing
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »

Well, first of all, I totally agree with everything that Achronos said.

In Orthodoxy the Church does grow and change, and this is evident in many things. It isn't as though everyone celebrates the Divine Liturgy in one language, for example, it is adapted. What must remain constant is the doctrines and the faith itself. It is written in Hebrews 13:8- "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever."  The faith of the Church is one that holds to the teachings of Jesus Christ, which never change, even as the Church changes other aspects to conform with the inconstant and imperfect Earth. I've used this analogy before, but here goes. If we allow the faith itself to change to conform to these modern standards, it becomes like a game of Telephone. Things keep getting rearranged and miscommunicated to the point where the final statement is totally different from the one that we were supposed to start with. God bless, and I'm happy to answer any questions I can that you might have. Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »

I think you're entire post is a category error. You say it 'can be applied to churches, ecclesiology and any institution.' but I see nothing about the parable to indicate that the servants=the Church. Rather the Church is the treasure while the servants are the individual members thereof.

Is the Orthodox Church full of 'lazy servants' (and foolish virgins, and ungrateful servants who refuse to forgive 100 denarii, and prodigal sons, and tares)? Yes. Definitely. But the Church is not 'a servant'. In the parable immediately beforehand, Christ is the bridegroom, the Church is the Bride, and we are the foolish or wise virgins who accompany her. The Church is the Bride of Christ, the Body of Jesus Christ, the ark of salvation and the treasure we have been given.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

I think you're entire post is a category error. You say it 'can be applied to churches, ecclesiology and any institution.' but I see nothing about the parable to indicate that the servants=the Church. Rather the Church is the treasure while the servants are the individual members thereof.

Is the Orthodox Church full of 'lazy servants' (and foolish virgins, and ungrateful servants who refuse to forgive 100 denarii, and prodigal sons, and tares)? Yes. Definitely. But the Church is not 'a servant'. In the parable immediately beforehand, Christ is the bridegroom, the Church is the Bride, and we are the foolish or wise virgins who accompany her. The Church is the Bride of Christ, the Body of Jesus Christ, the ark of salvation and the treasure we have been given.

Well said.
HouseOfGod

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:26 AM »

Once again, extremely beautiful and very clear, witega. Smiley

Carefree T

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:52 AM »

Wow, wonderful words. Just wow.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »

Yes, it's difficult to discuss when the underlying assumption is so wrong. While that may be your personal opinion, it doesn't seem to be supported by history.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »

The minas ("talent" or "treasure") is not something which is definitively isolated to a single thing as it can be applied to the deposit of faith, personal faith, contemplative prayer, the Church, Israel, or even capital investment as that seems to the clearest, most erudite interpretation.  What you offer, then, is really nothing more than another (personal) interpretation.

If the Master of the parable is seen as referring to Christ, then "[t]he Savior reveals Himself, out of His abundance, to dispense goods to His servants according to the ability of each recipient.  Thereby, His servants can increase them by useful activity and then return to account for them…  [Paul says,] "The things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, the same you should commit to faithful men, who will also be able to teach others."  So states Clement of Alexandria.  Origen asserts that “those who have received the ten talents are those who have been entrusted with the dispensing of the Word, which has been committed to them."  Thus, Clement and Origen both agree that the people in the parable are entrusted with quantities of wealth; that is, they are given charge over something of value given to them by someone outside.  That quantity of wealth is the gospel truth which is the deposit of faith and churches are the servants given charge over that wealth.

Now you will likely say, 'Yes, but Gregory of Nyssa sees the wealth as the graces of God, or Augustine sees the wealth as the divine gifts," which only further demonstrates how this parable is subject to hermeneutics, but at least my interpretation, for the purpose of this thread, finds support in the Fathers, as well.  And to that end I think we must restrict ourselves to such an interpretation, seeing Christ as Master, the talents as the deposit of faith, and the lazy servant as the Orthodox Church.

Tasting is Believing
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

...seeing Christ as Master, the talents as the deposit of faith, and the lazy servant as the Orthodox Church.

Even if we accept your premise that Christ is the Master in the parable and the talents are the deposit of faith (which is reasonable), it does not necessarily follow that the Orthodox Church is the lazy servant. That is your unsupported opinion. Which unfortunately leaves us with nothing to discuss. You have a particular personal opinion or vision of the Orthodox Church which also does not necessarily reflect the reality of history.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
HouseOfGod

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »

...seeing Christ as Master, the talents as the deposit of faith, and the lazy servant as the Orthodox Church.

Even if we accept your premise that Christ is the Master in the parable and the talents are the deposit of faith (which is reasonable), it does not necessarily follow that the Orthodox Church is the lazy servant. That is your unsupported opinion. Which unfortunately leaves us with nothing to discuss. You have a particular personal opinion or vision of the Orthodox Church which also does not necessarily reflect the reality of history.
You took the same thoughts I had when reading his post and turned it into a calm reply that makes sense Smiley I agree

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »

Telling me that I'm wrong or that such-and-such is my opinion is hardly any way to convince me, convince any lurkers/doubters on this forum, or adequately defend Orthodoxy.  I'm not here to attack Orthodoxy, but to discuss a presentation of the Orthodox Church as the lazy servant, a presentation which, I believe, more closely reflects the reality of history because Orthodoxy has guarded its first century treasure so well that it is incapable of facilitating new ideas that support and nuance sound doctrine. 

Tasting is Believing
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

The Orthodox Church projects the image of a glass house sterilely protecting what was put into it in the first century. 

This is a personal subjective opinion - to you the Orthodox Church projects this image. Does it project it to anyone else? Not so far, it seems, on this thread anyway. There's nothing wrong with having opinions. Personally I have opinions or preferences on almost everything!
Asking for evidence to support your opinion is not saying you're wrong nor is it being critical, because personal opinions are just that - on the level of preferring chocolate to vanilla. It's asking you to support a personal subjective impression or opinion with some objective facts. Then we can argue about interpretation! Won't that be fun?

St. John Chrysostom
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »

Telling me that I'm wrong or that such-and-such is my opinion is hardly any way to convince me,
Well, you DID come right out and say it was your opinion. Wink
HouseOfGod

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 10:58:23 AM »

Telling me that I'm wrong or that such-and-such is my opinion is hardly any way to convince me, convince any lurkers/doubters on this forum, or adequately defend Orthodoxy.  I'm not here to attack Orthodoxy, but to discuss a presentation of the Orthodox Church as the lazy servant, a presentation which, I believe, more closely reflects the reality of history because Orthodoxy has guarded its first century treasure so well that it is incapable of facilitating new ideas that support and nuance sound doctrine. 
What new ideas do you specifically refer to?

SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »

Orthodoxy is not a servant.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »

The Orthodox Church projects the image of a glass house sterilely protecting what was put into it in the first century. 

This is a personal subjective opinion - to you the Orthodox Church projects this image. Does it project it to anyone else? Not so far, it seems, on this thread anyway. There's nothing wrong with having opinions. Personally I have opinions or preferences on almost everything!
Asking for evidence to support your opinion is not saying you're wrong nor is it being critical, because personal opinions are just that - on the level of preferring chocolate to vanilla. It's asking you to support a personal subjective impression or opinion with some objective facts. Then we can argue about interpretation! Won't that be fun?

Unfortunately I think the categories are quite different.  While one's palette for chocolate or vanilla is indeed a personal subjective opinion, we are dealing here with biblical hermeneutics and ecclesial history.  Again, if Christ is the Master and the wealth is the deposit of faith and the churches are the servants entrusted with that wealth, I do not see anything in Orthodox church history to suggest that it has done anything more than bury the wealth in the ground fearful of irritating its Master.  And I have not read anything in this thread thus far to suggest otherwise.  If there is no concern for proving my disposition wrong, then this again further illustrates my point, for it seems that Orthodox Christians are more concerned about preserving their own than multiplying Christ's wealth.

Tasting is Believing
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »

Now you will likely say, 'Yes, but Gregory of Nyssa sees the wealth as the graces of God, or Augustine sees the wealth as the divine gifts," which only further demonstrates how this parable is subject to hermeneutics, but at least my interpretation, for the purpose of this thread, finds support in the Fathers, as well.  And to that end I think we must restrict ourselves to such an interpretation, seeing Christ as Master, the talents as the deposit of faith, and the lazy servant as the Orthodox Church.

Matt 25: 14. "For the kingdom of heaven is like a..." servant? No. Like three servants? No. The kingdom of heaven is like "a man travelling into a far country, who...".
I agree that the Master is Christ. And have no dispute that the talents are a multivalent image that can be applied to anything which 'the Master' grants. But the 'lazy servant' cannot be the Church because in the very first sentence Christ has already identified what the Church is in this parable--it *is* the parable, it is the context within which individual figures of the servants exist and act. (You say your interpretation finds support in the Fathers, but if you can find a Father who does not equate the Kingdom of Heaven and the Church, I'll be shocked).

And note the plural. Because this is not a parable about a lazy servant. It is a parable about 3 servants. So if the lazy servant is the Orthodox Church then who are the two good and faithful servants? Rome and Protestantism? The Assyrian Church of the East and the OOs? Judaism and Islam? I presume you are not going to argue that we should re-interpret every explicit Scriptural and Patristic reference to One Church, One Body, in light of your interpretation of this particular parable. So if we are, instead, to interpret the parable in light of those verses, none of the servants can be the Church because the servants are something there can be plural of, whereas the Church is One.

You can be the lazy servant. So can I. So can my priest or my bishop. And indeed, if you are trying to argue that the majority of Orthodox bishops, priests, and laity for the last 1000 years have been lazy servants, then I won't disagree with you. But I'd have to ask "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand." (Rom 14:4) Indeed, to the extent that you think this verse has anything to do with identify the lazy servant as anyone other than yourself, I think you've missed the point.

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »

Unfortunately I think the categories are quite different.  While one's palette for chocolate or vanilla is indeed a personal subjective opinion, we are dealing here with biblical hermeneutics and ecclesial history.  Again, if Christ is the Master and the wealth is the deposit of faith and the churches are the servants entrusted with that wealth, I do not see anything in Orthodox church history to suggest that it has done anything more than bury the wealth in the ground fearful of irritating its Master.  And I have not read anything in this thread thus far to suggest otherwise.  If there is no concern for proving my disposition wrong, then this again further illustrates my point, for it seems that Orthodox Christians are more concerned about preserving their own than multiplying Christ's wealth.
What does it mean to you to "multiply Christ's wealth"? So far I've not seen you give a definition of this, which would be quite helpful as a guide to knowing how we need to address your concerns.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

Matt 25: 14. "For the kingdom of heaven is like a..." servant? No. Like three servants? No. The kingdom of heaven is like "a man travelling into a far country, who...".
I agree that the Master is Christ. And have no dispute that the talents are a multivalent image that can be applied to anything which 'the Master' grants. But the 'lazy servant' cannot be the Church because in the very first sentence Christ has already identified what the Church is in this parable--it *is* the parable, it is the context within which individual figures of the servants exist and act. (You say your interpretation finds support in the Fathers, but if you can find a Father who does not equate the Kingdom of Heaven and the Church, I'll be shocked).

Actually, it's not hard at all to find a Father who does not equate the Kingdom of Heaven with the Church.  This is just bad theology and bad ecclesiology.  The Kingdom is larger than the Church.  After all, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the Kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matt 7:21). Or, in the words of St. Augustine, "Many whom God has, the Church does not have. And many whom the Church has, God does not have."  When the Church identifies or equates itself with the Kingdom, the Church is declaring that it is the saving presence of God on earth and at least implying that God is not present as a saving God anywhere else except in the Church.  If the Church is regarded as the Kingdom, then a person who criticizes the Church and calls for institutional and structural change is, in effect, criticizing God and calling for change in the way God chooses to deal with us and be with us.

The Church is meant to be:

1. a proclaimer of the Kingdom of God already begun;
2. a sign revealing God's Kingdom or redemptive presence now;
3. a servant of the continuous unfolding of the Kingdom.

As for the rest of what you say in your post, I can only take that to mean that you have no direct, adequate response to my thesis concerning the Orthodox Church as a glass house.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:38:46 PM by Big Chris » Logged

Tasting is Believing
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »

As for the rest of what you say in your post, I can only take that to mean that you have no direct, adequate response to my thesis concerning the Orthodox Church as a glass house.

Have fun playing your games Chris.

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »

Have fun playing your games Chris.

I'm sorry that you think I'm playing a game.  Or do you just wish to undermine my efforts to have my questions answered because you can't answer them?  Did you think I would just sit back and placidly accept any answer that you gave like everyone else here on the forum?  I stated in my OP that I would like to discuss this topic in all earnestness but all I have received thus far is aversions.

Tasting is Believing
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

parables and metaphors can be interpreted in many ways, that does not mean that a certain manner of interpretation is true or intended among parts.. i applaud your prose also.. my question is , if the EO is the lazy servant , who are the other two and why it's the talent of the least given to the one who has the most?Did God imparted different kinds of talents to the three servants?How much talents can one collect?Why 10, 5 and 1?Do these numbers have any meaning.. Where does it stop? Is 11 the maximum?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »

What did this lazy servant do beyond keep its first century faith secure in a safe deposit box for those 500 years?

Producing millions of saints is laziness?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »

Too many people in this thread think that I am saying that when Christ delivered His parable that, at that time, he was speaking about something called the Orthodox Church plus two other servants.  If there was some miscommunication concerning that, then forgive me but I thought my OP was quite clear.  Even if it wasn't, I thought my several restatements were clear.  Either apparently not or all this aggravation thus far has merely been an intentional aversion from the question being asked.  All that I am actually getting at is that the Orthodox Church demonstrates apt characteristics of the "lazy servant" in the parable.  

[If you want to know the real, integral interpretation of the parable, modern scholarship seems to be consistently of the opinion that it really was a parable that struck to the core of capital investment with moral overtones.]

Tasting is Believing
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

Who's asking about sainthood?

From the OP:

Too many Orthodox bishops over the centuries, afraid of new ideas, have held too great of a cavalier attitude as they dare not see any minutiae of the deposit of faith be lost to their administration.  As such, it is my opinion that such fear has become endemic to the very ecclesial structure of the Church itself and, through such fear, it has become the "lazy servant," afraid of having any new, constructive ideas at all.  It seems plainly evident that the retort, "Why should there be new ideas?" is the prima facie modus operandi of such fear.

Tasting is Believing
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Too many people in this thread think that I am saying that when Christ delivered His parable that, at that time, he was speaking about something called the Orthodox Church plus two other servants.  If there was some miscommunication concerning that, then forgive me but I thought my OP was quite clear.  Even if it wasn't, I thought my several restatements were clear.  Either apparently not or all this aggravation thus far has merely been an intentional aversion from the question being asked.  All that I am actually getting at is that the Orthodox Church demonstrates apt characteristics of the "lazy servant" in the parable.  

[If you want to know the real, integral interpretation of the parable, modern scholarship seems to be consistently of the opinion that it really was a parable that struck to the core of capital investment with moral overtones.]

In the parable Jesus speaks of three servants , or three categories of servants if you want.In order for a parable having application to the very Church of Christ all variables need to be met.Those tend to be pretty exact if you ask me.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

I would think that many Orthodox Christians are lazy servants, and I am the first of them. Let us all work more.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

From the OP:

Too many Orthodox bishops over the centuries, afraid of new ideas, have held too great of a cavalier attitude as they dare not see any minutiae of the deposit of faith be lost to their administration.  As such, it is my opinion that such fear has become endemic to the very ecclesial structure of the Church itself and, through such fear, it has become the "lazy servant," afraid of having any new, constructive ideas at all.  It seems plainly evident that the retort, "Why should there be new ideas?" is the prima facie modus operandi of such fear.

Then you asked the wrong question. Because the mission of the Church is to sanctify, which has nothing to do with "new ideas," per se. Amongst those "new ideas" are good and bad ones. Some further the Church in her mission and she uses them, some do not and she preaches against them. So, I suppose I don't see your point in this, unless you want to be specific.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

From the OP:

What new, constructive ideas would you like to see? In what areas would you like to see these new ideas?
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »

What new, constructive ideas would you like to see? In what areas would you like to see these new ideas?

I think it's more a matter of principle.

Tasting is Believing
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »

Actually, it's not hard at all to find a Father who does not equate the Kingdom of Heaven with the Church.  This is just bad theology and bad ecclesiology.  The Kingdom is larger than the Church.  After all, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the Kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matt 7:21). Or, in the words of St. Augustine, "Many whom God has, the Church does not have. And many whom the Church has, God does not have."  When the Church identifies or equates itself with the Kingdom, the Church is declaring that it is the saving presence of God on earth and at least implying that God is not present as a saving God anywhere else except in the Church.  If the Church is regarded as the Kingdom, then a person who criticizes the Church and calls for institutional and structural change is, in effect, criticizing God and calling for change in the way God chooses to deal with us and be with us.

The Church is meant to be:

1. a proclaimer of the Kingdom of God already begun;
2. a sign revealing God's Kingdom or redemptive presence now;
3. a servant of the continuous unfolding of the Kingdom.

Speaking of bad ecclesiology...

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »

Wow.  You really proved me wrong with that snarky comment.

Tasting is Believing
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »

The talents are not 'gospels' (i.e. faiths).   Rather, they are gifts of the Holy Spirit given to each person, that can either be utilized to share the one Faith, or not used and "preserved" in the ground (i.e. out of sight, unshared).  
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

I think maybe PeterTheAleut wants you to be specific about the context of your complaint--to move it out of your head and into the realm of discussion. Right now, it's difficult to discuss your concern or "prove you wrong" without specifics to deal with.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

Wow.  You really proved me wrong with that snarky comment.

What's there to prove wrong? Your post was just a pontification with two short, out of context snippets.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »

What's there to prove wrong? Your post was just a pontification with two short, out of context snippets.

If you cannot directly prove that the ecclesiology which I have "pontificated" above is wrong then I can only assume that you have no clue what you're talking about and you just want to sound like a big shot so you don't have to conscientiously deal with the ramifications of me being possibily right.

Tasting is Believing
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »

I think maybe PeterTheAleut wants you to be specific about the context of your complaint--to move it out of your head and into the realm of discussion. Right now, it's difficult to discuss your concern or "prove you wrong" without specifics to deal with.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to elicit. Unless you, Big Chris, can articulate for us how specifically we have refused to change and what kinds of new ideas you would like to see us introduce, I'm not really sure we can help you. A matter of principle needs specific examples to move from the abstract to the concrete.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: