Of course, the Ukrainian Protestants of the Eastern Rite always discredit their rants by implying the Russians had a grand ol' time under the Soviet Union (many people were surprised when Russia declared its independence of the USSR), while no Ukrainian had any involvement with the Soviet authorities.
Why did the Vatican's Ukrainians welcome the deposed hierarch? Consistency with its own agenda of divide and conquer. Why did the UOCC and UOCUSA not have anything to do with him? Consistency with Orthodox canonical order.
Not a great mystery.
Some further information may be helpful for those in our group who are not Canadians which I assume is 99.9%
1) E-poshta is an internet newsletter that goes out to e-mail addresses. The founder and the people involved are Ukrainian Catholics.
2) The visits and banquets planned for Patriarch Filaret while he was in Toronto were spearheaded by UNO which is an organizations founded by Ukrainian Catholics and whose present membership is primarily Ukrainian Catholics or by the Ukrainian Canadian Conference (KYK) which is primarily Ukrainian Catholic.
3) There is an organization in Toronto called “The Friends of the Kyiv Patriachate”founded by Iryna Washchuk who is Ukrainian Catholic.
4) Patr. Filaret choose to come to Toronto ahead of the rest of the delegates of the conference that was supposed to take place at the University of Toronto but was cancelled. Why? Did he plan a confrontation? For example, Patriarch Sviatoslav the Ukrainian Catholics & Metr. Methodiy (UAOC) arrived with the rest of delegates Sunday night.
5) Members of KYK attempted to bring Patriarch Filaret to a UOCC Church as a guest and that is why Metr. Yuriy issued his press release. If Metr. Yurij had not done so Patriarch Filaret and an entourage of Ukrainian Catholics would have walked in on the service uninvited. The president of the parish Oleh Holowaty was informed that a delegation of KYK would be bringing Patriarch Filaret to the service and that they would be in the front of the church. Then we Orthodox were taunted by the Catholics in the press & on blogs saying we were unchristian and that anyone should be allowed to go to an Ukrainian Orthodox Church service as a “guest”. To me this looks like a provocation.
6) At the various meetings of a new brotherhood of Ukrainian Orthodox only 100 to 150 people have shown up. That is an insignificant number and if you look at the videos and see the people in the audience you will be surprised (or maybe not surprised) to recognize the faces of prominent Toronto Ukrainian Catholics in the audience.
7) A group of malcontents in British Columbia got themselves elected to form a new parish council in a small church and then withdrew from the UOCC and joined the UOC-KP. The matter is now in the hands of the courts. That in itself is a reason why members of the UOCC would not welcome Patriarch Filaret.
8)A campaign of misinformation was started. One small example is that the quote from Fr. Kroner was distorted in the article in E-poshta.
I am sure there all other points that I have forgotten to mention but this should at least give Americans unfamiliar with this campaign to start a schism in the UOCC a brief background.