OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:17:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial Services for Deceased Roman Catholics?  (Read 4529 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:46 AM »

What practices or traditions do Roman Catholic have for their deceased loved ones?  I know that they say Masses, but what makes it a Mass in memory of someone--I've only noticed that their  names are noted in the bulletin; are there prayers for the deceased said during a Mass in memory of someone?  Are there memorial services called for at certain intervals after someones passing?  I'm wondering if there are counter parts to Eastern Orthodox practices such as Trisagion (Thrice Holy) Services, so named because they begin with the daily "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal," but include prayers "for the blessed repose, pardon, forgiveness, and remission of sins."  Orthodox practices include a Trisagion Service on the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 40th day and one year after repose; the 40 day and one year typically are Memorial (Mnymosina) Services, with coliva (boiled wheat)--a symbol of life.  What is analogous to these practices in the Roman Catholic Church?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:17:47 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »

What practices or traditions do Roman Catholic have for their deceased loved ones?  I know that they say Masses, but what makes it a Mass in memory of someone--I've only noticed that their  names are noted in the bulletin; are there prayers for the deceased said during a Mass in memory of someone?  Are there memorial services called for at certain intervals after someones passing?  I'm wondering if there are counter parts to Eastern Orthodox practices such as Trisagion (Thrice Holy) Services, so named because they begin with the daily "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal," but include prayers "for the blessed repose, pardon, forgiveness, and remission of sins."  Orthodox practices include a Trisagion Service on the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 40th day and one year after repose; the 40 day and one year typically are Memorial (Mnymosina) Services, with coliva (boiled wheat)--a symbol of life.  What is analogous to these practices in the Roman Catholic Church?
I know that in the Tridentine rite, at the Mass for the Dead, the Dies Irae was always said, and sometimes sung using the Gregorian chant. Here are a few renditions of the Dies Irae, the first, having the translation in English:
Gregorian chant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WgqQH5GNkA&feature=related

Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2OAS9UTCA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up0t2ZDfX7E&feature=related
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »

The name of the deceased is mentioned explicitly during the Eucharistic prayers, something along the lines of, "We offer this sacrifice for our departed brother N. (sister N.)..."  

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:05:13 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

I know that in Trappist monasteries, the all night vigil recitation of the Psalter is done.

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: