Author Topic: Can your child be baptized if you are still a catechumen?  (Read 362 times)

Offline AClaire11

Can your child be baptized if you are still a catechumen?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
My husband and I are still working out some things in our journey to becoming Orthodox, and we're also hoping to have our first child soon.  If we have a child while still catechumens, will our child be baptized right away or would we have to wait until we are baptized ourselves?

Sorry if this has already been answered.  I searched and wasn't able to find anything.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
Re: Can your child be baptized if you are still a catechumen?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »
It seems to me that having you child baptized while you are a Catechumen would be up to your priest.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
The "easiest" solution would be to have the child and the three of you can be baptized and chrismated in one sitting ... depending on your priest.  Most babies in the Orthodox faith are baptized between 40 days and 1 year of age.  You and your husband would have almost 2 years to complete the cathechumenate.  I don't believe that starting a family would derail one's path towards Orthodoxy.

I've seen entire families (with infants) received into Orthodoxy by baptism (for the youngest) and chrismation (for the adults).

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
  • Not quite as cute as a kitten :(
  • Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
It seems to me that having you child baptized while you are a Catechumen would be up to your priest.

Why wouldn't it be up to the parents? It would only harm the child if his/her Baptism is delayed.
"Your children shall become the head, but you... will become the tail of the Church; therefore your judges will be those who have always preserved the Catholic Faith... they will be the Orthodox and true Catholics since they have never accepted heretics... but have remained zealous for the True Faith." (Western Bishops' Response to Pope Vigilius)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »

Why wouldn't it be up to the parents? It would only harm the child if his/her Baptism is delayed.

The priest performs the Baptism.  He must agree to perform it.  He may be more than willing, or he may be reluctant.  It depends on him.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »
If your priest works in the same way as mine has in the past, once the parents are received in, the child will too by baptism, chrismation and tonsure.  Usually, this is all done on Great and Holy Saturday.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:43:03 AM »
My husband and I are still working out some things in our journey to becoming Orthodox, and we're also hoping to have our first child soon.  If we have a child while still catechumens, will our child be baptized right away or would we have to wait until we are baptized ourselves?

Sorry if this has already been answered.  I searched and wasn't able to find anything.

Your Priest would likely either have worked this out with his Bishop or will do so once you ask.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline AClaire11

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 01:20:58 AM »
Thank you so much for all the replies!  I'll definitely bring it up with the priest when we finally receive our good news.  It's good to know that it's not too normal for the baby to be baptized when they're about 1yo.  Hopefully it's not too hard to find a baptismal outfit in that size, haha

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »

I've seen it done (for one thing, the sponsors would be Orthodox already). In the one case the girl was older (9 or so), and after her baptism, at DL, she came up with her yet unchrismated parents for the prayer of the catechumens.  The priest had to stop for a moment and gently tell her she wasn't a catechumen anymore.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
Thank you so much for all the replies!  I'll definitely bring it up with the priest when we finally receive our good news.  It's good to know that it's not too normal for the baby to be baptized when they're about 1yo.  Hopefully it's not too hard to find a baptismal outfit in that size, haha

I was baptized at 11 months.  My Godfather (may his memory be eternal) agreed with the Priest (may his memory be eternal) that I was a heavy child.   :angel:

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
I do not think it's a good idea to baptize your child unless you are not yet sure whether you become Orthodox and bring her up in faith.

Offline AClaire11

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
I do not think it's a good idea to baptize your child unless you are not yet sure whether you become Orthodox and bring her up in faith.

I agree.  We wouldn't do so unless we were sure.

Offline Anna.T

• Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
I've seen it done (for one thing, the sponsors would be Orthodox already). In the one case the girl was older (9 or so), and after her baptism, at DL, she came up with her yet unchrismated parents for the prayer of the catechumens.  The priest had to stop for a moment and gently tell her she wasn't a catechumen anymore.

For some reason this story makes me smile and warms my heart. It must be a little unusual for a child to be "older" in the faith than her own parents. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:42:06 PM by Anna.T »
Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith should; hope could; love would
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
It's certainly not categorical that a child with non-Orthodox parents (and you are not non-Orthodox parents) will not be baptized. The Church stands ready to receive souls.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
We have couple in our Church who did this, so it can be done but as said previously it's up to the Priest.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.