OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:51:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenical Councils  (Read 2519 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

Mom! J Michael is touching me! he's touching me!

Ok, he stopped touching me but now he's looking at me! Make him stop looking at me!

son didn't I tell you to stay away from those creepy old guys?? police

Hey....I'm *only* 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

(And that little twerp keeps shooting spitballs at me!)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:03:16 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »

Okay, now it's getting a little creepy.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »

Creepiness knows no bounds.....

So.....howz about them Ecumenical Councils, anyway?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

All 9 1/2 Ecumenical Councils are doing quite well Smiley
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »

That's a relief! 

Now, knock it off with the spit-balls, okay!?!?  Grin

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

For the RC's or for the Orthodox?  1/3 of the council of Basle is ok with the RCC, and 1/4 of Constance, and then of course Florence trumps the others on papal supremacy.  Even Vatican I is in fractions as the official name of the RCC there is indeed "Roman" whereas this was nullified by Vatican II which reduced it to "Catholic."   We may have less whole numbers but also have less fractions.  Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »

For the RC's or for the Orthodox?  1/3 of the council of Basle is ok with the RCC, and 1/4 of Constance, and then of course Florence trumps the others on papal supremacy.  Even Vatican I is in fractions as the official name of the RCC there is indeed "Roman" whereas this was nullified by Vatican II which reduced it to "Catholic."   We may have less whole numbers but also have less fractions.  Wink

Well, I can google for the dates and details, but off the top of my head...

Nicea = 1
Constantinople = 1 (even though the actual council broke up, and was reconvened later, I'll still count this as one)
Ephesus = 1
Chalcedon = 1 (leaving aside that a large chunk of the Church rejected it, which I guess is true to a lesser extent for Ephesus)
Justinian's Thing = 1
That one in 680 = 1
Trullo = 1/2 (it met like 10 years after #6, so ain't no way I'm counting it as the same)
The 787 Icon council
Photian Council (the Orthodox one that sort of settled things down, not the Catholic one)
Palamite Councils (multiple councils, at least three, and maybe as high as six, but I'm fine with them be grouped together).

= 9 1/2

(yes, I'm only being 1/4 serious  Grin )
Father H
Archon

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »

Nicea = 1
Constantinople = 1 (even though the actual council broke up, and was reconvened later, I'll still count this as one)
Ephesus = 1
Chalcedon = 1 (leaving aside that a large chunk of the Church rejected it, which I guess is true to a lesser extent for Ephesus)
Justinian's Thing = 1
That one in 680 = 1
Trullo = 1/2 (it met like 10 years after #6, so ain't no way I'm counting it as the same)
The 787 Icon council
Photian Council (the Orthodox one that sort of settled things down, not the Catholic one)
Palamite Councils (multiple councils, at least three, and maybe as high as six, but I'm fine with them be grouped together).

= 9 1/2

Trullo being 1/2 is the archsemiheresy of Ambrosism.  The 6th is 680 (dogmas)+Trullo (canons)=1, despite what Fr. Ambrose says.  So says the 7th, so says the Rudder and Kormchaya Kniga.   
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

Nicea = 1
Ephesus = 1
Justinian's Thing = 1
That one in 680 = 1
The 787 Icon council

= 9 1/2

Trullo being 1/2 is the archsemiheresy of Ambrosism.  The 6th is 680 (dogmas)+Trullo (canons)=1, despite what Fr. Ambrose says.  So says the 7th, so says the Rudder and Kormchaya Kniga.   

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you have 1/2 of an *Ecumenical* Council?  Does that mean that 1/2 of it was "Ecumenical" and 1/2 wasn't; or that 1/2 of the proclamations were official and 1/2 unoffical; or that the Holy Spirit was there providing guidance only 1/2 the time, or.........what??  And what is an "archsemiheresy"  Huh Huh

(Just to get it off my chest, because it's a pet peeve of mine with respect especially to "well-educated" people, we don't have "less" whole numbers or fractions or sheep or councils or cups of coffee, etc., etc., we have *fewer* of them  police  angel.  Okay, I feel better now  Grin Grin)

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »

(Just to get it off my chest, because it's a pet peeve of mine with respect especially to "well-educated" people, we don't have "less" whole numbers or fractions or sheep or councils or cups of coffee, etc., etc., we have *fewer* of them  police  angel.  Okay, I feel better now  Grin Grin)

Nice to find a fellow grammar nazi. Wink  Does apostrophe abuse make you equally apoplectic or is that just my personal cross?

On the question of the Council in Trullo being half a council, I think the post was a humorous take on the fact that its canons are considered an adjunct to the fifth and sixth councils and so we consider it Ecumenical as part of those but not as an Ecumenical Council in its own right.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »

Nice to find a fellow grammar nazi. Wink  Does apostrophe abuse make you equally apoplectic or is that just my personal cross?

I can understand people mixing up its and it's, but some of the apostrophe mistakes I see are just unbelievable.

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »

(Just to get it off my chest, because it's a pet peeve of mine with respect especially to "well-educated" people, we don't have "less" whole numbers or fractions or sheep or councils or cups of coffee, etc., etc., we have *fewer* of them  police  angel.  Okay, I feel better now  Grin Grin)

Nice to find a fellow grammar nazi. Wink  Does apostrophe abuse make you equally apoplectic or is that just my personal cross?

I can understand people mixing up its and it's, but some of the apostrophe mistakes I see are just unbelievable.

One of my personal peeves is seeing people (and in this instance I must, lamentably, include the BBC) abbreviating 1990s (for example) as 90's rather than '90s. After all, what can actually belong to a 90?

(Sorry everyone for the brief derailment - feel free to ignore my confessed affliction and return to the subject at hand)

James
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:29:39 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »

On the question of the Council in Trullo being half a council, I think the post was a humorous take on the fact that its canons are considered an adjunct to the fifth and sixth councils and so we consider it Ecumenical as part of those but not as an Ecumenical Council in its own right.

James

And my confusion grows  Grin Grin Grin.  (Don't worry, I'll get over it Wink.)

Re: grammar--Apostrophe abuse doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "less/fewer" issue.  At least with apostrophes the issue only comes up in *written* language (you can't actually hear an apostrophe), whereas sooooooooo very many supposedly well-educated people and people who speak publicly (broadcasters, college profs., lawyers, priests, bishops, etc., etc.) grossly confuse "less" and "fewer".  Do they not teach this stuff in school anymore?  Or do people just not care?  I have to admit that every once in a while I get a little confused about apostrophes  Sad.  Please accept my apologies in advance  Wink.

Father H
Archon

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

For the RC's or for the Orthodox?  1/3 of the council of Basle is ok with the RCC, and 1/4 of Constance, and then of course Florence trumps the others on papal supremacy.  Even Vatican I is in fractions as the official name of the RCC there is indeed "Roman" whereas this was nullified by Vatican II which reduced it to "Catholic."   We may have less whole numbers but also have less fractions.  Wink

Nicea = 1
Ephesus = 1
Justinian's Thing = 1
That one in 680 = 1
The 787 Icon council

= 9 1/2

(yes, I'm only being 1/4 serious  Grin )

Trullo being 1/2 is the archsemiheresy of Ambrosism.  The 6th is 680 (dogmas)+Trullo (canons)=1, despite what Fr. Ambrose says.  So says the 7th, so says the Rudder and Kormchaya Kniga.    

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you have 1/2 of an *Ecumenical* Council?  Does that mean that 1/2 of it was "Ecumenical" and 1/2 wasn't; or that 1/2 of the proclamations were official and 1/2 unoffical; or that the Holy Spirit was there providing guidance only 1/2 the time, or.........what??  And what is an "archsemiheresy"  Huh Huh

(Just to get it off my chest, because it's a pet peeve of mine with respect especially to "well-educated" people, we don't have "less" whole numbers or fractions or sheep or councils or cups of coffee, etc., etc., we have *fewer* of them  police  angel.  Okay, I feel better now  Grin Grin)

Yes, the entire thing was meant to be humerous to those who have been around a while.  Fr. Ambrose (Irish Hermit) held that Trullo was less than Ecumenical.  That is my point, that there is no such thing as a 1/2 Ecumenical Council, which I think I made clear.  The Vatican does claim that there are partial ecumenical councils (Basle, Constance, etc).

The simplicity of the statement "we have less whole numbers..." etc. implied that such an argument is childish, like one among 8 year olds:  "You have less marbles than me," response, "nu uh, I got more than you," hence the emoticon following.  If you think that such an argument is mature and wish to dignify the argument by making it grammatically correct, I suppose you can do so.  

Since you have already taken the joy out of this litany of posts (one of my pet peeves), I refuse to explain the humor of a word such as "archsemiheresy" in this context  laugh  Wink
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:53:01 PM by FatherHLL » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

The simplicity of the statement "we have less whole numbers..." etc. implied that such an argument is childish, like one among 8 year olds:  "You have less marbles than me," response, "nu uh, I got more than you," hence the emoticon following.  If you think that such an argument is mature and wish to dignify the argument by making it grammatically correct, I suppose you can do so.  

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »

For the RC's or for the Orthodox?  1/3 of the council of Basle is ok with the RCC, and 1/4 of Constance, and then of course Florence trumps the others on papal supremacy.  Even Vatican I is in fractions as the official name of the RCC there is indeed "Roman" whereas this was nullified by Vatican II which reduced it to "Catholic."   We may have less whole numbers but also have less fractions.  Wink

Nicea = 1
Ephesus = 1
Justinian's Thing = 1
That one in 680 = 1
The 787 Icon council

= 9 1/2

(yes, I'm only being 1/4 serious  Grin )

Trullo being 1/2 is the archsemiheresy of Ambrosism.  The 6th is 680 (dogmas)+Trullo (canons)=1, despite what Fr. Ambrose says.  So says the 7th, so says the Rudder and Kormchaya Kniga.    

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you have 1/2 of an *Ecumenical* Council?  Does that mean that 1/2 of it was "Ecumenical" and 1/2 wasn't; or that 1/2 of the proclamations were official and 1/2 unoffical; or that the Holy Spirit was there providing guidance only 1/2 the time, or.........what??  And what is an "archsemiheresy"  Huh Huh

Yes, the entire thing was meant to be humerous to those who have been around a while.  Fr. Ambrose (Irish Hermit) held that Trullo was less than Ecumenical.  That is my point, that there is no such thing as a 1/2 Ecumenical Council, which I think I made clear.  The Vatican does claim that there are partial ecumenical councils (Basle, Constance, etc).

Since you have already taken the joy out of this litany of posts (one of my pet peeves), I refuse to explain the humor of a word such as "archsemiheresy" in this context  laugh  Wink

Sheesh....what a grouch   laugh Wink!

Awww....c'mon, Fahder.... laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

Superb usage of The Apostrophe, Peter  Wink!

Father H
Archon

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

Superb usage of The Apostrophe, Peter  Wink!

You would hate northern and western PA.  They use "wasn't" instead of "were not," and the town of Versailles is pronounced "Vuursayyuls."   Cry
And of course, in Pittsburgh, "where you are" is pronounced "up air."   laugh
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:05:43 PM by FatherHLL » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

The simplicity of the statement "we have less whole numbers..." etc. implied that such an argument is childish, like one among 8 year olds:  "You have less marbles than me," response, "nu uh, I got more than you," hence the emoticon following.  If you think that such an argument is mature and wish to dignify the argument by making it grammatically correct, I suppose you can do so.   

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

You would hate northern and western PA.  They use "wasn't" instead of "were not," and the town of Versailles is pronounced "Vuursayyuls."   Cry
And of course, in Pittsburgh, "where you are" is pronounced "up air."   laugh

I *love* Pittsburgh and western PA!!  My wife and I are thinking of moving there when certain circumstances allow.  So...consider that fair warning  Grin!

As for the pronunciations, etc....I've learned Hebrew, Texan, British English, and am working on Russian, so I might just be able to squeak by up there  Grin.

Now...please, Fahder, I beg you.....what on earth is an ""archsemiheresy"?  (I promise never again to criticize your incorrect usage of "fewer" and "less".  I promise!!  Really!!!)   Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:32:47 PM by J Michael » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

The simplicity of the statement "we have less whole numbers..." etc. implied that such an argument is childish, like one among 8 year olds:  "You have less marbles than me," response, "nu uh, I got more than you," hence the emoticon following.  If you think that such an argument is mature and wish to dignify the argument by making it grammatically correct, I suppose you can do so.   

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

You would hate northern and western PA.  They use "wasn't" instead of "were not," and the town of Versailles is pronounced "Vuursayyuls."   Cry

I have lived in the 'Burgh for twenty years and this sort of thing drives me nuts. They can pronounce Duquesne properly but massacre Coraopolis and DuBois as badly as Versailles.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Father H
Archon

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

I have lived in the 'Burgh for twenty years and this sort of thing drives me nuts. They can pronounce Duquesne properly but massacre Coraopolis and DuBois as badly as Versailles.

Ah, yes, I forgot about Dooboys.   Sad
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

Nuh-uh (or nuh'uh Grin).

Folks is folks, ain't they?  I lived in Israel for 5 years and met numerous people there who had been there for as long as 20 or 30 years or longer and could barely put together a coherent sentence in Hebrew!

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: