OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:05:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-word question  (Read 2442 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »

How about we say "Non-Orthodox Catholic"?  Works for me....AND is says a lot.

Interesting, but I'll hold off commenting till I hear your reasoning.

Well, IMHO, (which may not be worth too much) A Non-Orthodox Catholic is one who is not a member of Holy Orthodoxy. (Examples: Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics, Greek Catholics, Protestants, Nestorians, Arians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, etc.)  This is some way, at least to me, minimizes the stigma of the term Unia to some degree and lessens the need for this tag.  Instead of saying he's a *niat we would say that he or she is not an Orthodox Catholic.   But what do I know.

How are Jews, Protestants, Hindus, Muslims, etc., etc. "Catholic" of any kind, let alone "Non-Orthodox"?

You seem to be conflating all manner of faiths under the umbrella of "Catholic" when you must know very well that that is not the case.  Or, are you trying to insult all of the faiths you named that are not actually Catholic by calling them something they are not?  Or are you trying to insult Catholics by including as our co-religionists those who are not even close to being Christian, some of whom would most happily see us (and you) blown up by a road-side bomb?  Jews are "Catholic" now, are they?  Muslims and Buddhists are "Catholic" now, are they?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

I haven't seen it mentioned, but there really is no overarching "logic" behind the forum rule regarding this.

My understanding is that it stems directly from the founders of the website, and their respective religious affiliations.

Thus we can't say U or M words, but we can refer to Roman Catholics as heretical/schismatic papists all we want.  I'm not challenging or complaining about the rules, just pointing out that they don't appear to be based on any consistent application of theological, ecclesiastic, or socio-religious understanding.  Them are just the rules.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »

The word itself is neutral.  It is the way it was/is used that made/makes it derogatory.  When you take a neutral word and make it code for scumbag those so referred tend not to like it.  Russians and Greeks who don't have a dog in this fight don't get it, Rusyns, Ukrainians, and Romanians do.

Unconvincing.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »

I haven't seen it mentioned, but there really is no overarching "logic" behind the forum rule regarding this.

My understanding is that it stems directly from the founders of the website, and their respective religious affiliations.

Thus we can't say U or M words, but we can refer to Roman Catholics as heretical/schismatic papists all we want.  I'm not challenging or complaining about the rules, just pointing out that they don't appear to be based on any consistent application of theological, ecclesiastic, or socio-religious understanding.  Them are just the rules.

(emphasis added)

I don't know about that, but I find it interesting that you refer to Latin Catholics as "Roman" Catholics.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

I don't know about that, but I find it interesting that you refer to Latin Catholics as "Roman" Catholics.

I wasn't referring to Latin Catholics.  If we refer to the super huge, full Roman Catholic Church, we are allowed to trash it, but there are prohibitions on doing the same to the groups within it.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:22:17 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

Yes, it *is* an interesting, shall I say, "inconsistency".

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »

I wasn't referring to Latin Catholics.  If we refer to the super huge, full Roman Catholic Church, we are allowed to trash it, but there are prohibitions on doing the same to the groups within it.

OIC. More a problem of confusion then.  Cool

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

My point was: All other religions are NOT Orthodox Catholic and that includes the non catholic Jews.

Roman Catholics are Not Orthodox Catholic, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:41:24 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »

My point was: All other religions are NOT Orthodox Catholic and that includes the non catholic Jews.

The way you wrote it originally made it sound quite different.

No need to apologize for Roman Catholics not being "Orthodox Catholic", I'm sure.  Many, if not most are, however, orthodox Catholic and quite content to be so Grin.

But your terminology continues to confound me----what is a "non catholic Jew"  Huh?  I'd make a stab at guessing, but I'm sure I'd be wrong, so maybe you could help out a little.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »

No need to apologize for Roman Catholics not being "Orthodox Catholic", I'm sure.  Many, if not most are, however, orthodox Catholic and quite content to be so Grin.

But your terminology continues to confound me----what is a "non catholic Jew"  Huh?  I'd make a stab at guessing, but I'm sure I'd be wrong, so maybe you could help out a little.

Quite simply, a Jew is a non Catholic a non Roman Catholic and a non Orthodox Catholic as if you didnt know already?Huh
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »

Hi all. What I'm wondering is, would the best way of dealing with the U-word (which is considered offensive) be to simply translate it? And if so, how should it be translated? Perhaps "united"?
The online Catholic encyclopedia uses the term uniate in several places. Apparently, the editors did not think it to be offensive at the time of the writing of the relevant articles.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »

The online Catholic encyclopedia uses the term uniate in several places. Apparently, the editors did not think it to be offensive at the time of the writing of the relevant articles.

Indeed, the Catholic Encyclopedia was written about the same time as the New Catholic Dictionary (about a century ago); so I don't find it too surprising that they both use the U-word. (Unless you're talking about the New Catholic Encyclopedia -- that was 1967.)

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »

Quite simply, a Jew is a non Catholic a non Roman Catholic and a non Orthodox Catholic as if you didnt know already?Huh

I know pretty well what a Jew is, I think (my heritage and original faith being Jewish)  Wink--just never heard of a "non catholic Jew", that's all.  Learn sumpin' new every day, eh  Wink?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: