OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ's humanity question  (Read 371 times) Average Rating: 0
Thatguy

Faith: Trying Orthodoxy

« on: June 16, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »

I just read this from a not so Christian website but found the question interesting. Anyone care to answer?

What happened to Christ's foreskin after his circumcision (Luke 2:21)? Did it ascend to heaven, or did it decompose as with any human piece of flesh? During his lifetime what happened to his hair, nails, and blood shed from wounds? Did the cells of his body die as in ordinary human beings?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »

It is clear from the Scriptures that Christ hungered, thirsted, and got tired, and bled. All of these things mean that his body, before the resurrection, contained cells that could break down and dis-integrate just like ours. It would be the teaching of the Scriptures that Christ's body could not see corruption (decomposition after death) in the Tomb, however.

The Roman Catholics had a tradition that some Byzantine Empress gave Charlemagne the Holy Foreskin as an incorrupt relic. The RC's fought over which relic was the real Holy Foreskin for centuries, and then placed a ban of excommunication on anyone who mentioned it for a while.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:51:17 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

A metal babble! Kill it quick!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »

Hopefully you'll have more luck than the last foreskins thread.  Cool

That is not the teaching of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
Thatguy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »

Hopefully you'll have more luck than the last foreskins thread.  Cool

lol, I hope this thread doesn't focus on foreskins Tongue. I guess when the question is presented it's supposed to be for a shock factor to mention Jesus's foreskin.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »

Hopefully you'll have more luck than the last foreskins thread.  Cool

lol, I hope this thread doesn't focus on foreskins Tongue. I guess when the question is presented it's supposed to be for a shock factor to mention Jesus's foreskin.
Fair enough. Was my response what you were looking for?

I would consult St. John Chrysostom's homilies on relevant chapters in the gospels (Christ at the well, Lazarus's tomb, sweating at Gethsemane, Peter's speech in Acts, etc.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:46:56 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »

I just read this from a not so Christian website but found the question interesting. Anyone care to answer?

What happened to Christ's foreskin after his circumcision (Luke 2:21)? Did it ascend to heaven, or did it decompose as with any human piece of flesh? During his lifetime what happened to his hair, nails, and blood shed from wounds? Did the cells of his body die as in ordinary human beings?

Unbelievable!  Nomination for most bizarre post of the month!

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Thatguy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

Unbelievable!  Nomination for most bizarre post of the month!

I'm honored! Cheesy

And Nich, you pretty much gave a satisfactory answer Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: