Author Topic: What do the Eastern Orthodox think of the Assisi events?  (Read 6822 times)

Offline TraditionalistThomas

What do the Eastern Orthodox think of the Assisi events?
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post on this board. I'm a traditionalist Roman Catholic. I'm just here to ask questions regarding Eastern Orthodoxy when I feel the need. So, onto the question:

What do the Eastern Orthodox think of the Assisi gatherings hosted under Pope John Paul II and the current Pope, Benedict XVI? Traditional Roman Catholics look at these events as highly, highly scandalous and regard them as false ecumenism; flying in the face of Catholic tradition. The reason I ask is because some Bishops from various Eastern Orthodox churches seemed to take part in the event. I always thought that Eastern Orthodoxy condemns ecumenism!

Thanks for any answers you can give me,

Through the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Thomas.
All the evils of the world are due to lukewarm Catholics. - St. Pius V

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
Re: What do the Eastern Orthodox think of the Assisi events?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
"What Assisi events?" would be the reaction of most Orthodox. And ecumenism often seems to be in the eye of the beholder, but generally speaking Orthodox ecumenism seems to consist mainly of being polite.

I don't mean this to sound mean or snarky, so I apologize in advance, but Orthodox don't have a dog in any RCC fight. We don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the RCC at all. Though it often seems that RCs think we do.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
Though it often seems that RCs think we do.

Internet forums might have something to do with this. ;)
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »

Yeah, there are many, many threads on this forum that make it appear that Orthodox are obsessed with every syllable a random RC might write or speak.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
"What Assisi events?" would be the reaction of most Orthodox. And ecumenism often seems to be in the eye of the beholder, but generally speaking Orthodox ecumenism seems to consist mainly of being polite.
Yeah, I was going to say something along the lines of, "I don't think about them."

While you find round condemnations of ecumenism on the Internet, in real life even those who are the loudest online denouncers of ecumenism tend to be fairly mild.

And while there are Orthodox hierarchs who participate in ecumenical events, most people on the ground just don't follow that kind of thing.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline witega

• Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
What do the Eastern Orthodox think of the Assisi gatherings hosted under Pope John Paul II and the current Pope, Benedict XVI? Traditional Roman Catholics look at these events as highly, highly scandalous and regard them as false ecumenism; flying in the face of Catholic tradition. The reason I ask is because some Bishops from various Eastern Orthodox churches seemed to take part in the event. I always thought that Eastern Orthodoxy condemns ecumenism!

For those Orthodox who are aware of the Assisi events (and as indicated, it's a relatively small group), the attitude tends to range from 'that's stupid' to heavily scandalized.

As to your last sentence, it very much depends on what you mean by ecumenism (as you will find if you start searching this forum for old threads on ecumenism). If by ecumenism you simply mean talking to other churches to deepen understand or possibly cooperate on practical matters (like charity or decreasing ethno-religious tensions in wartorn areas) then the Orthodox Church is (with some significant exceptions) pretty explictly pro-this. On the other hand, if by ecumenism you mean anything (like the 'branch theory' or the 'invisible church') which implies that Orthodoxy is not the one true Church of the Creed and that all other Christian communions are in some sort of schism or heresy which needs to be healed, then that is indeed a condemned heresy of its own. If you mean something in between--well, then the Orthodox response is somewhere in between.
Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Interesting.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
I don't mean this to sound mean or snarky, so I apologize in advance, but Orthodox don't have a dog in any RCC fight. We don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the RCC at all. Though it often seems that RCs think we do.

Well, I don't think I agree with your observation. Only modern Roman Catholics who are obsessed with ecumenism really bring up the subject of the Eastern Orthodox often; other than that we don't really think about it. I've just had interest recently in what the Eastern Orthodox think of the activities and practices seen in the modern Catholic Church. I don't expect you to think about the Roman Catholic Church anymore than I think about the Eastern Orthodox churches. I think it's just common sense.  :)

God bless.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »

Yeah, there are many, many threads on this forum that make it appear that Orthodox are obsessed with every syllable a random RC might write or speak.

Perhaps this board is the Eastern Orthodox equivalent to Catholic Answers Forum?  ;)

God bless.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
I've just had interest recently in what the Eastern Orthodox think of the activities and practices seen in the modern Catholic Church.

I, and I suppose many of the EOCs, don't care at all about what happens in there.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
I've just had interest recently in what the Eastern Orthodox think of the activities and practices seen in the modern Catholic Church.

I, and I suppose many of the EOCs, don't care at all about what happens in there.
^ this

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
I never much cared for "Assisi". Always made it sound like one of your most beloved saints was "a sissy". Though from what I remember of Chesterton's biography, he was a bit strange...  :police:

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Some would not be surprised. After all, the Roman Papacy has been serving Antichrist since 1054.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
Some would not be surprised. After all, the Roman Papacy has been serving Antichrist since 1054.

Took almost a dozen posts. Must be some kind of record.......

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »

Only 12 posts before this? Wow...

I'm going to need this.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Got sarcasm?
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.

Offline Paisius

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »
I don't have any idea what the "Assisi events" are.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

Apparently, they're events run by a sissy, for the edification of other sissies, but they always seem to be in Italy and involve the Pope of Rome chumming with leaders of every other religion on earth and waxing on about how they're all really great. Afterward, they join hands and sing kumbaya. The better events have liturgical dancing, which is basically just chics prancing around in earth-tone leotards with or without flags or chintzy veils, sometimes accompanied by tambourines, guitars, or costumed natives and/or clowns singing "Ave Maria," which is re-interpreted as a song to Gaia, the spirit of the earth, a mother symbol only offensive to those dogmatic barbarians still enslaved to creeds. The events usually make a lot of them pretty upset, but the rest of the world continues its descent into apostasy whilst most religious leaders remain oblivious since they're too busy golfing and praying with each other.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
Not gonna lie, I didn't remember these things existed until I read your post. I've only heard about them in passing a few times, so I can't really give an opinion on them.

Though, my ignorance on the matter probably points to what previous posters have said. :P

P.S.

I'd also second Kathrine's statement that EO ecumenism is more less "being polite." There's not really anyone (at least not really any hierarch) that wants to usher in some new worldwide religion, or even a unified Christian Church if it means compromising on doctrine. Though, we'll gladly show up, shake your hand and say a prayer with you. Why not?
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Anybody who is a devout Orthodox Christian and sees what went on there will be crushed. Imagine Orthodox bishops and choirs participating in joint prayer with not only heretics, but with heathens, animists and others to the common abstract God of Peace. I was nearly moved to tears to hear the Kyrie sung by an Orthodox choir alongside the incantations of all the other world religions. We were shamed by these bishops and put on an equal ontological footing with all other religions for all spectators present. Buddhist monks were chanting the Om in consecrated Christian temples. The whole thing was a mockery of our faith.

This video is by Roman Catholic schismatics, but I know there are Orthodox ones out there on this event, especially by our Old Calendarist schismatics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1IKwlOGZb4

8:44 there is something else special going on, and it just takes off from there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:32:21 PM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline вєликаго

• Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »
Anybody who is a devout Orthodox Christian and sees what went on there will be crushed. Imagine Orthodox bishops and choirs participating in joint prayer with not only heretics, but with heathens, animists and others to the common abstract God of Peace. I was nearly moved to tears to hear the Kyrie sung by an Orthodox choir alongside the incantations of all the other world religions. We were shamed by these bishops and put on an equal ontological footing with all other religions for all spectators present. Buddhist monks were chanting the Om in consecrated Christian temples. The whole thing was a mockery of our faith.

This video is by Roman Catholic schismatics, but I know there are Orthodox ones out there on this event, especially by our Old Calendarist schismatics.

8:44 there is something else special going on, and it just takes off from there.

The video was pretty educational I think.
St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What

Offline Paisius

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »

Yikes! Not sure why some people think that's a good idea.

Offline вєликаго

• Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

Yikes! Not sure why some people think that's a good idea.

Good question, I for one think its a very bad idea.
St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What