Author Topic: Prayer for the blessing of apples on feastday of St Irene Chrysovalandou  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Mattheos

• I'm a llama!
Although this may be a custom common only to Greeks (and at that not widespread with all Greeks) there is a prayer that is read over apples at the end of the service on the feastday of St Irene Chrysovalandou and then the apples are given out to the faithful. Does anyone know what that prayer is?

Thanks,
Mattheos
NULL

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
O Lord most holy and God of creation, Who didst make all things in their goodness and give man dominion over the fruits of the earth, Who didst banish from Paradise our forefathers for taking of the Apple of knowledge of good and evil, Who keepeth those who keep thy all holy commandments as the apple of Thine omniscient eye, do bless these apples and make them holy, for Thou art blessed unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Mattheos

• I'm a llama!
Thanks so much for this.

As I'll be passing this on to my parish priest, he'd want to know the source. Are you able to let me know where you got this from?

NULL

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Please don't have your priest actually say this. I made it as a joke. Sorry for the confusion.  :(
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
O Lord most holy and God of creation, Who didst make all things in their goodness and give man dominion over the fruits of the earth, Who didst banish from Paradise our forefathers for taking of the Apple of knowledge of good and evil, Who keepeth those who keep thy all holy commandments as the apple of Thine omniscient eye, do bless these apples and make them holy, for Thou art blessed unto the ages of ages. Amen.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?

This is how bad things creep into the church.
Joseph

Offline Subdeacon Michael

This is how bad things creep into the church.

Apart from the Genesis reference to man's dominion over animals applied to fruit (this could be very easily tweaked), and a misuse of the third person verb form in a prayer written in the second person, (keepeth, where keepest would be proper) I actually think it is quite good.  After all, all of the prayers that we have and use were written by somebody.

As for the question in the OP, if you cannot find the prayer, Mattheos, try to see whether the one used at Transfiguration can be used.  This is in the Book of Needs.

M
'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
"the apple of thine omniscient eye" is pure gold.  Ha.   ;D

Offline Mattheos

• I'm a llama!
I appreciate the humour, however, i think it's best that the moderators delete the pseudo-prayer so that someone at a quick glance doesn't mistake it for an actual prayer authorised by the Church.
NULL

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
There are prayers for grapes, cars, and just about anything else. I'm sure your priest can easily adapt one of those for something specific.