OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:46:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghandi Says: Let Women Pee For Free  (Read 965 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: June 14, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

In Mumbai, a Campaign Against Restroom Injustice

Men and women here in India's largest city, a congested, humanity-soaked metropolis of roughly 20 million residents, would seem bound by at least one common misery: far too many people sharing far too few toilets.

But there is a difference -- unlike men, women often have to pay to urinate. So for months, social advocates like Minu Gandhi have canvassed the city, arguing that this disparity amounts to blatant discrimination and asking women to start demanding a right most of them had never contemplated: the Right to Pee.

"We all feel this is a basic civic right," Ms. Gandhi said, "a human right."...

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »

That's interesting. It's unjust and unfair, and they're right--though it wasn't directly  listed as a human right by the UN, it's pretty much safe to assume that you can count it in. It's always terrible to see how much those of us in America and other countries that are fairly well-off take for granted  Sad

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In Mumbai, a Campaign Against Restroom Injustice

Men and women here in India's largest city, a congested, humanity-soaked metropolis of roughly 20 million residents, would seem bound by at least one common misery: far too many people sharing far too few toilets.

But there is a difference -- unlike men, women often have to pay to urinate. So for months, social advocates like Minu Gandhi have canvassed the city, arguing that this disparity amounts to blatant discrimination and asking women to start demanding a right most of them had never contemplated: the Right to Pee.

"We all feel this is a basic civic right," Ms. Gandhi said, "a human right."...

Interestingly enough, pay toilets in India work better than the free toilets.  The money is used for upkeep, but what companies and NGOs who have installed pay toilets in India have discovered is people tend to take care of the pay toilets, and abuse the free ones.  The price is insignificant, and for most people who use them, well worth it.  If the toilets were all "free" a lot of these facilities get degraded and neglected.

From our perspective, we think it appalling to charge for a toilet, but for the Indians who agree to pay it has become a nice feature.  The people buy into both figuratively and literally.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:12:40 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

So let me get this straight.

Men get to go potty for free.
The women get to go potty for pay.

Anybody can go to a pay toilet.

But the Hindus bring a cow into their home on their wedding day to poop on the floor for free....

I guess I'm just missing something here.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:50:58 PM »

But the Hindus bring a cow into their home on their wedding day to poop on the floor for free....

I wouldn't mind lifting some of the laws against public urination in this country, but I can see that would also be a bit discriminatory.

I'm a man. I can pee on a tree. Grin
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »

I wouldn't mind lifting some of the laws against public urination in this country, but I can see that would also be a bit discriminatory.

Bingo.  I bet the mechanics of the act come into effect here.  The women probably can't use the free toilets if they don't wantt o scrub their posteriors with comet while the men can just take a few steps back and howitzer it in there.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »

Bingo.  I bet the mechanics of the act come into effect here.  The women probably can't use the free toilets if they don't wantt o scrub their posteriors with comet while the men can just take a few steps back and howitzer it in there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIs3E_uJ1Yg

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIs3E_uJ1Yg

And thus, a whole new variety of German/Japanese pron came into being...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:56:54 PM »

And thus, a whole new variety of German/Japanese pron came into being...

Nah, the idea of girls peeing through a funnel... . . er... maybe I should just shut up before I get in trouble  Cool

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »

It sounds rather simple, but not said clearly in the article:

India has free toilets and pay toilets. Men and women can use both. But women don't want to use the free toilets because they are yucky. So the article is portraying it as if the women are being denied the right.

I think the article sounds like it could be right: If India bans public waste-making, like America does, then it seems it has to guarantee  people are able to make their waste someplace.

But wait, lots of places in America don't have city ordinances requiring the city to make public toilets available and free. So why should India? That sounds like a good counterpoint.

But imagine this: You get off the bus in a small rural town in the US and everything is closed because it's after 7 PM or so. The bus drops you off outside a closed store. You have to wait several hours for the next bus. You really have to go to the bathroom, because you drank alot of water or coffee. What will you do?

So maybe you have a right to public waste-making and the statutes criminalizing it violate this right.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:05 PM »

India has free toilets and pay toilets. Men and women can use both. But women don't want to use the free toilets because they are yucky. So the article is portraying it as if the women are being denied the right.

I think the article sounds like it could be right: If India bans public waste-making, like America does, then it seems it has to guarantee  people are able to make their waste someplace.

But wait, lots of places in America don't have city ordinances requiring the city to make public toilets available and free. So why should India? That sounds like a good counterpoint.

But imagine this: You get off the bus in a small rural town in the US and everything is closed because it's after 7 PM or so. The bus drops you off outside a closed store. You have to wait several hours for the next bus. You really have to go to the bathroom, because you drank alot of water or coffee. What will you do?
I actually face that situation every so often, using mass transit exclusively as I do. (I also have a small bladder, which makes such painful situations potentially more frequent--drove my USMC drill instructors crazy. Embarrassed) That's why I would sometimes like to have the license to find a discreet place to relieve myself when no facilities are available.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:18:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »

I'm guessing it's impossible to outsource toilets.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »

India has free toilets and pay toilets. Men and women can use both. But women don't want to use the free toilets because they are yucky.

They must do things differently over there in India then, because I've cleaned lots of bathrooms when I worked retail, fast food and commercial cleaning, and in every single place I worked women were much grosser than men. Not just messier. Grosser. By a wide margin. Twas almost enough (but not quite) to shake my belief that women are generally superior.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: