OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exclusive use of the word 'Catholic'  (Read 841 times) Average Rating: 0
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: June 14, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »

I just read in another forum (discussing the possible SSPX reconciliation with Rome) that the Vatican has filed for the "proprietary right to the name Catholic". It's new to me, it sounds like they are seeking an International trademark or brand recognition.

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=9409417&postcount=47

Has anyone else heard of this? I still have not seen any news reports, perhaps it has been discussed here somewhere ...

If this is a true report, what are the implications for Holy Orthodoxy? I understand that no Orthodox Christian is going to like this, but I have never heard of it before and I wonder if Orthodox hierarchs have been aware of it and taken a formal position on the subject.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »

I just read in another forum (discussing the possible SSPX reconciliation with Rome) that the Vatican has filed for the "proprietary right to the name Catholic". It's new to me, it sounds like they are seeking an International trademark or brand recognition.

Has anyone else heard of this? I still have not seen any news reports, perhaps it has been discussed here somewhere ...

If this is a true report, what are the implications for Holy Orthodoxy? I understand that no Orthodox Christian is going to like this, but I have never heard of it before and I wonder if Orthodox hierarchs have been aware of it and taken a formal position on the subject.
I haven't heard of it.  Can't see how they could do it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »

Yeah, what he said. I mean, it's not like the Orthodox just use Catholic informally (which would be an issue even then), but for some Orthodox Churches it's part of the official/legal name.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

They won't be able to prove that their beliefs are, indeed, catholic.  And because there is already a centuries old precedent of Orthodox Christians using the word catholic for our beliefs (which actually apply to Eastern Orthodoxy), they'll end up losing and Pope Benedict will have egg on his face.  

Said it-Yep
Regret it-Nope
Never cared one bit
for the man called Pope.

Nod your head to that, peeps.

Post modified by moderator to make more respectful... Whereas we do not require the use of proper clerical titles in reference to Roman Catholic clergy, we do expect that you will at least respect his office within his church by using a title appropriate to his position and free of all pejoratives. "Captain Ratz" is a very disrespectful (iow, pejorative) way to speak of the current Pope of Rome and is therefore not acceptable.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:06:40 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »

The Vatican has paid $185,000 to control the use of the internet address extension dot-catholic. The Vatican was the only applicant asking for .catholic.
No one else applied for the use of that internet extension:
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1202470.htm
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »

"The applications for Latin alphabet domain names revealed June 13 included one request for ".christmas," but no requests for ".christian." Two applicants asked for ".church," but no one asked for ".orthodox," ".lutheran" or ".anglican." Seven applicants asked for ".love," one requested ".islam," but no one requested ".jewish."

Somebody should write their hierarch to claim .orthodox before some vagante does.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »

"The applications for Latin alphabet domain names revealed June 13 included one request for ".christmas," but no requests for ".christian." Two applicants asked for ".church," but no one asked for ".orthodox," ".lutheran" or ".anglican." Seven applicants asked for ".love," one requested ".islam," but no one requested ".jewish."

Somebody should write their hierarch to claim .orthodox before some vagante does.

Are these new endings like .com and .org?

Joseph
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »

I wouldn't stay awake at night imagining that this is another great Roman plot. The word Catholic is not a trademark nor a proprietary term.

For example, in one of the myriad of church property rights cases between factions of Greek Catholic congregations in Pennsylvania during the mid-20th century, the Commonwealth Supreme Court rejected the claim by the Greek Catholic Bishop of Pittsburgh that the term 'Greek Catholic' was entitled to proprietary protection. That was one of the reasons why Rome changed the legal name of the (Ruthenian) Greek Catholic Eparchy of the United States to the  Byzantine Catholic Church. In Canada they are known as the Slovak Greek Catholics and in Europe, just plain Greek Catholics. To clarify the property status of their congregations, they legally reincorporated local parishes as Byzantine Catholic so as not to leave open the door to future litigation by would-be Orthodox factions.  FYI, the problem did not occur within the Ukrainian Greek Catholic community as the use of the nationality - Ukrainian - historically preceeded Greek Catholic, hence there was no confusion.

For that reason, you will still find some Orthodox parishes with the term 'Greek Catholic' within their legal names, such as "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic', "Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic" and in a few instances, even plain old "Greek Catholic." Just remember, as Will Shakespeare observed, 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'

Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »

Exactly my thought! The mainstream media is using lately the term "Orthodox" to describe Salafist Muslims. This is a carefully planed, intentionally executed campaign to provoke the Orthodox world. Just like, when a Muslim woman dresses up like a nun, a Muslim man grows his beard and are identified everywhere as a terrorist or hate-preacher, their appearance destroys the original look of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Men. I will copy and use your look to blackmail you, to destroy you!  The frequency of the usage has worked for them. Whenever I tell someone I am Orthodox, they ask me, are you a Muslim? Whenever I tell someone I don't it this, 'cause I am fasting, they ask me, is it already Ramadan?

Can you see what is going on?

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »

I wouldn't stay awake at night imagining that this is another great Roman plot. The word Catholic is not a trademark nor a proprietary term.

For example, in one of the myriad of church property rights cases between factions of Greek Catholic congregations in Pennsylvania during the mid-20th century, the Commonwealth Supreme Court rejected the claim by the Greek Catholic Bishop of Pittsburgh that the term 'Greek Catholic' was entitled to proprietary protection. That was one of the reasons why Rome changed the legal name of the (Ruthenian) Greek Catholic Eparchy of the United States to the  Byzantine Catholic Church. In Canada they are known as the Slovak Greek Catholics and in Europe, just plain Greek Catholics. To clarify the property status of their congregations, they legally reincorporated local parishes as Byzantine Catholic so as not to leave open the door to future litigation by would-be Orthodox factions.  FYI, the problem did not occur within the Ukrainian Greek Catholic community as the use of the nationality - Ukrainian - historically preceeded Greek Catholic, hence there was no confusion.

For that reason, you will still find some Orthodox parishes with the term 'Greek Catholic' within their legal names, such as "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic', "Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic" and in a few instances, even plain old "Greek Catholic." Just remember, as Will Shakespeare observed, 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'

I find this disturbing.  Because, I always heard and read that the reason for the name change was the Ruthenian immigrants were mistakenly thought to be ethnic Greeks when they immigrated to the US and called themselves Greek Catholics.   Nothing was ever mentioned about a lawsuit trying to take ownership of the name to prevent more defections and property transfer to the Orthodox side.  Hmmm, I wonder why not?  Roll Eyes
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »

For example, in one of the myriad of church property rights cases between factions of Greek Catholic congregations in Pennsylvania during the mid-20th century, the Commonwealth Supreme Court rejected the claim by the Greek Catholic Bishop of Pittsburgh that the term 'Greek Catholic' was entitled to proprietary protection. That was one of the reasons why Rome changed the legal name of the (Ruthenian) Greek Catholic Eparchy of the United States to the  Byzantine Catholic Church. In Canada they are known as the Slovak Greek Catholics and in Europe, just plain Greek Catholics. To clarify the property status of their congregations, they legally reincorporated local parishes as Byzantine Catholic so as not to leave open the door to future litigation by would-be Orthodox factions.  FYI, the problem did not occur within the Ukrainian Greek Catholic community as the use of the nationality - Ukrainian - historically preceeded Greek Catholic, hence there was no confusion.

I find this disturbing.  Because, I always heard and read that the reason for the name change was the Ruthenian immigrants were mistakenly thought to be ethnic Greeks when they immigrated to the US and called themselves Greek Catholics.   Nothing was ever mentioned about a lawsuit trying to take ownership of the name to prevent more defections and property transfer to the Orthodox side.  Hmmm, I wonder why not?  Roll Eyes

I have heard both explanations over the years, but....It is very byzantine indeed. Wink ...on the one hand you have the 'official reason', i.e. confusion over the term 'Greek' and the 'real reason' - the property issues.  Wink  If the official reason were the 'real' reason - then why were the Ukrainians in the USA not retitled as 'Ukrainian Byzantine Catholics' ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:20:01 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »

I don't think the people who sell Internet domains really care about the nuances of your preferred definitions. It's not like they're a council of bishops or something.

It's a product, and someone was ahead of you in line to buy it. Period.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »

Exactly my thought! The mainstream media is using lately the term "Orthodox" to describe Salafist Muslims. This is a carefully planed, intentionally executed campaign to provoke the Orthodox world. Just like, when a Muslim woman dresses up like a nun, a Muslim man grows his beard and are identified everywhere as a terrorist or hate-preacher, their appearance destroys the original look of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Men. I will copy and use your look to blackmail you, to destroy you!  The frequency of the usage has worked for them. Whenever I tell someone I am Orthodox, they ask me, are you a Muslim? Whenever I tell someone I don't it this, 'cause I am fasting, they ask me, is it already Ramadan?

Uh huh.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »

I've never been asked if I'm a Muslim.  I'm always asked if I'm Jewish if I say, "I'm Orthodox".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

I've never been asked if I'm a Muslim.  I'm always asked if I'm Jewish if I say, "I'm Orthodox".

That's the reaction I've always gotten to (except once, when a cousin of mine asked me if it was the Greek Orthodox or the Russian Orthodox, which stunned me - but most definitely never did anyone think "Oh, you're Muslims).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »

I find this surprising.  It could be that the extremist Muslims are either trying to modify themselves by referring to themselves as 'Orthodox', or even more likely, trying to denigrate the Orthodox Christians by having Americans believe they are the same as the Muslim fanatics.   It could be just another propaganda ploy, after all they are experts at it...or at least Turkey is.      I guess the hope is to turn Americans against the Christians in areas where they want to restore their caliphates.

Of course it could always be our State Department, since we seem to bow down to Saudi demands.  Let's not forget Bill Clinton's war and the poor Albanian Muslim Kosovans that were seen exiting Kosovo from morning to night on CNN.  Maybe Hillary's following her husband's policy?  Huh

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »

Exactly my thought! The mainstream media is using lately the term "Orthodox" to describe Salafist Muslims. This is a carefully planed, intentionally executed campaign to provoke the Orthodox world. Just like, when a Muslim woman dresses up like a nun, a Muslim man grows his beard and are identified everywhere as a terrorist or hate-preacher, their appearance destroys the original look of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Men. I will copy and use your look to blackmail you, to destroy you!  The frequency of the usage has worked for them. Whenever I tell someone I am Orthodox, they ask me, are you a Muslim? Whenever I tell someone I don't it this, 'cause I am fasting, they ask me, is it already Ramadan?

I find this surprising.  It could be that the extremist Muslims are either trying to modify themselves by referring to themselves as 'Orthodox', or even more likely, trying to denigrate the Orthodox Christians by having Americans believe they are the same as the Muslim fanatics.   It could be just another propaganda ploy, after all they are experts at it...or at least Turkey is.      I guess the hope is to turn Americans against the Christians in areas where they want to restore their caliphates.

Of course it could always be our State Department, since we seem to bow down to Saudi demands.  Let's not forget Bill Clinton's war and the poor Albanian Muslim Kosovans that were seen exiting Kosovo from morning to night on CNN.  Maybe Hillary's following her husband's policy?  Huh

Let's play Hangman, I'll fill in a few letters for you: P**AN**A

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:57:07 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »

That's the reaction I've always gotten to (except once, when a cousin of mine asked me if it was the Greek Orthodox or the Russian Orthodox, which stunned me - but most definitely never did anyone think "Oh, you're Muslims).

Maybe it's the areas we live in, because in the New York City area, Orthodox has always been related to religious Jews.   Things might be changing though.  One never knows?   Undecided
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »

Exactly my thought! The mainstream media is using lately the term "Orthodox" to describe Salafist Muslims. This is a carefully planed, intentionally executed campaign to provoke the Orthodox world. Just like, when a Muslim woman dresses up like a nun, a Muslim man grows his beard and are identified everywhere as a terrorist or hate-preacher, their appearance destroys the original look of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Men. I will copy and use your look to blackmail you, to destroy you!  The frequency of the usage has worked for them. Whenever I tell someone I am Orthodox, they ask me, are you a Muslim? Whenever I tell someone I don't it this, 'cause I am fasting, they ask me, is it already Ramadan?

I find this surprising.  It could be that the extremist Muslims are either trying to modify themselves by referring to themselves as 'Orthodox', or even more likely, trying to denigrate the Orthodox Christians by having Americans believe they are the same as the Muslim fanatics.   It could be just another propaganda ploy, after all they are experts at it...or at least Turkey is.      I guess the hope is to turn Americans against the Christians in areas where they want to restore their caliphates.

Of course it could always be our State Department, since we seem to bow down to Saudi demands.  Let's not forget Bill Clinton's war and the poor Albanian Muslim Kosovans that were seen exiting Kosovo from morning to night on CNN.  Maybe Hillary's following her husband's policy?  Huh

Are you saying he's lying?  Well I don't.  Huh

By the way, how much do you know about the Kafkaz Emirate or Devotoglu's foreign policy?  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:10:29 PM by Zenovia » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »

Are you saying he's lying?  Well I don't.  Huh

By the way, how much do you know about the Kafkaz Emirate or Devotoglu's foreign policy?  Tongue

Lying has neither P's, nor A's.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

Will never happen.  The use of "Orthodox Catholic" as an official name of the Orthodox Church and of particular dioceses will not allow it. Even if there are lawsuits, the wrong side will not prevail.

Sadly, in a meeting I had recently, a priest said that we should change "Catholic" in the creed to a small "c," revealing ignorance that I did not think that he had.   He still a good priest, though (too bad he doesn't know he is Orthodox Catholic). 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: