OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN: Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists  (Read 1082 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »

Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

Roll Eyes

Kyrie Eleison,

GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

"I ain't preachin' no more much. The sperit ain't in the people much no more; and worse'n that, the sperit ain't in me no more. 'Course now an' again the sperit gets movin' an' I rip out a meetin', or when folks sets out food, I give 'em a grace, but my heart ain't in it. I on'y do it 'cause they expect it."
Jim Casy, from The Grapes of Wrath

Tasting is Believing
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »

Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

Roll Eyes

Kyrie Eleison,

GTA

Follow the money.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »

Progress is made every day...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

Define "progress". 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »

Look who just got off the pot, flushed and put on his purty new clothes.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »

What on earth are you talking about??

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »

Define "progress". 

Progress towards a time when we are all able to be honest with other people about what we believe.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

It's a little private joke between myself and Unstable*.

*Asteriktos means 'unstable, unsteady' in Greek.

PS- I hope he knows I was just funnin' with him.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:12:16 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »

Not "untenable"?

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »

Not "untenable"?

No, unstable. From the Greek a- (without) and sterigma (anchor, support). GabrieltheCelt is correct.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »

Define "progress". 

Progress towards a time when we are all able to be honest with other people about what we believe.
in what world asteriktos?
baring all of humanity suddenly becoming a saint, the only scenario i can see that happening is if we all lose a sizeable portion of our frontal cortex .

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »

Roll Eyes

Kyrie Eleison,

GTA

Follow the money.

Exactly
Father H
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »

Not "untenable"?

No, unstable. From the Greek a- (without) and sterigma (anchor, support). GabrieltheCelt is correct.

I think JMichael was just jesting a bit
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »

Define "progress". 

If only.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »

this preacher man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3o4nfiG7A

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:11 PM »

this preacher man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3o4nfiG7A
That's a rather interesting video...

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »

Some of you people are really Demetrius Downers

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »

Not "untenable"?

I think JMichael was just jesting a bit

Grin

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »

Atheists have never proven that there is not a God.   They act as though God is something we have to prove to them.

In my views, God "is", and must be prove "to not be".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »

Atheists have never proven that there is not a God.   They act as though God is something we have to prove to them.

I hope you realize how futile such an argument is.  One cannot disprove God.  It is literally impossible.  One can also not disprove the invisible flying spaghetti monster.  Of course, this doesn't mean God exists any more than it means the spaghetti monster exists.  Nor does that mean that God does not exist.

When you assert that something exists, and have no proof, do not be surprised when many people refuse to believe you.  It would be better to be honest and say "I cannot prove that God exists."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »

Once you stop trying to persuade atheists, life gets to be so much easier. That isn't to say there aren't those open minded enough, there are and I've talked with a few, but the vast majority don't want to be bothered by it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Father H
Archon

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »

Once you stop trying to persuade atheists, life gets to be so much easier. That isn't to say there aren't those open minded enough, there are and I've talked with a few, but the vast majority don't want to be bothered by it.

Well, maybe.  The burden of proof is on those who assert a positive.  For example, those who assert that there is a solely natural world that came into existence by itself.   

Another example, those who state that there is only that verifiably existant which I can see.  That would mean that the earth is populated by some 20,000 people at best. 

The burden of proof is upon those who state that we exist.  No one can prove it.  No one.  We could be the figment of someone's cosmic mind.  We can prove that there is existence.  "I think, therefore I am" does not cut it.  Rocks exist, they are and do not think.  But then again, my "thinking" is perhaps merely an imposition of someone else's mind.  Therefore, EXISTENCE. exists.  The best we can do is "I think, therefore SOMETHING exists, and more than that which thinks because it is perceptible."  Where did perception come from?  One could argue "me," but then again could also be imposed.  Did I create perception?  You may disagree at this claim.  But the best you can do is to claim that you created perception, in which case, that burden is on YOU (generally speaking, not to the post).   

I cannot prove to you that I exist.  I can prove that someone stated that there is a spaghetti monster, or so you perceive. 

The spaghetti monster creates pasta, or a general Being creates existence and things which can make pasta.  Which is more probable?       
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 05:41:54 AM »

it is... God is something theists need to prove.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

Atheists don't bother me so much.  It's the angry militant ones with an agenda that get under my skin.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »

I would ask if he no longer believes why not just stop, but I know the answer is money.  He has no marketable skills and this is the only thing he can do to make money. 

Atheism is the new fad religion.  All the cool kids are doing it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »

You're delusional. Obviously people on this forum, who are generally more intelligent and balanced than the norm, wouldn't let that happen. What makes you think that the rest of the world would?

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

Sorry, for so many posts, but I have a lot to say about this sort of thing and am actually trying to limit my comments.  

Having said that, if someone is a true atheist, they do not care what you believe as long as you do not actually harm anyone.  In my opinion, the modern "atheist" isn't really an atheist at all.  At best they are agnostic and seek tangible proof.  The fact they do not understand the difference troubles me.

Somewhere in-between, they know God exists, but do everything they can to keep the fragile feeling He does not so they can live their life guilt free.

At worst, they hate God for some reason and do their best to discredit Him.  This explains the bus signs, public speeches, attacks on Christmas and everything else they do.  It isn’t disbelieve, its hate, which means they actually do believe.  It’s impossible to hate something you do not believe exists in the first place.  I dub them Christophobes.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

Atheists don't bother me so much.  It's the angry militant ones with an agenda that get under my skin.

I don't mind the angry militant ones.  I just mind the ones that pretend to be questioning Christians in order to play a game with believers who will then spend much time trying to convince them otherwise. 
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

I don't mind the angry militant ones.  I just mind the ones that pretend to be questioning Christians in order to play a game with believers who will then spend much time trying to convince them otherwise. 
^

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Father H
Archon

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »

I don't mind the angry militant ones.  I just mind the ones that pretend to be "doubting Christians" in order to play a game with believers who will then spend much time trying to convince them otherwise. 

Clarification
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »

You're delusional. Obviously people on this forum, who are generally more intelligent and balanced than the norm, wouldn't let that happen. What makes you think that the rest of the world would?
Man you own.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Define "progress".  

in what world asteriktos?
baring all of humanity suddenly becoming a saint, the only scenario i can see that happening is if we all lose a sizeable portion of our frontal cortex .
I say we keep the frontal cortex, and do away with the rest of the lobed junk aside from the more reptilian core.   An over-feeling brain is quietly disarmed when it loses everything but the essentials  Grin

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:07:45 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: atheism  Jerry DeWitt  pentecostal 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: