OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:47:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deconsecration  (Read 910 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

Is there an Orthodox service of deconsecration for churches that are to be closed or converted into other purposes like the Catholics and Anglicans/Episcopalians do?

Basil
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »

Is there an Orthodox service of deconsecration for churches that are to be closed or converted into other purposes like the Catholics and Anglicans/Episcopalians do?

Basil

I haven't seen one, but there are a lot of obscure services. In such cases, the holy things would be removed. But, churches that are consecrated are meant to last as Orthodox churches to the end of the world--IIRC from the services. There are services for re-consecration after the holy place has been defiled by godless barbarians or blood-crazed infidels, for example.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

About 15 years ago, a church in the city where I live found itself in the middle of a major land redevelopment proposal. The land was acquired, and the church was forced to relocate (the parish was well-compensated for their trouble, thank goodness). There was a deconsecration service before the church was demolished. Fixtures such as the iconostasis and windows (simple stained-glass) were removed from the old church and installed in the new one, built several suburbs away. Most importantly, the holy relic embedded in the altar table was retrieved, and incorporated into the new altar.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »

About 15 years ago, a church in the city where I live found itself in the middle of a major land redevelopment proposal. The land was acquired, and the church was forced to relocate (the parish was well-compensated for their trouble, thank goodness). There was a deconsecration service before the church was demolished. Fixtures such as the iconostasis and windows (simple stained-glass) were removed from the old church and installed in the new one, built several suburbs away. Most importantly, the holy relic embedded in the altar table was retrieved, and incorporated into the new altar.
Shocked That's terrible! I read this and just...really?  Sad

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

There's an old saying: you can't fight city hall land redevelopment proposals.
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »

There's an old saying: you can't fight city hall land redevelopment proposals.
  Sad

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: