OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:41:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Icons: Childlike?  (Read 5312 times) Average Rating: 0
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2012, 02:59:34 AM »

This is from the 12th century..

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:55 AM »

We should all be pan-Orthodox. Nationalism and ethnocentrism are harmful to the proper development of the Church in the West.

Ah, can there be any such thing as a Coptic Church in Britain?  Is the Church in Britain "Oriental"?  Is this identification not harmful to the Church in the West? 

Eventually there should only be an Orthodox Church in/of Britain made up of all those who are Orthodox and are in Britain. It would draw from a wide range of cultural influences.

Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »

We should all be pan-Orthodox. Nationalism and ethnocentrism are harmful to the proper development of the Church in the West.
I agree completely. I know exactly what you mean as I have seen and experienced it firsthand here in the U.S.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:36:07 AM by Severian » Logged

Taking a temporary hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me as I will still be signing in on occasion. Please forgive me if my posts have lacked humility, charity, or tact.

NOTE: Some of my older posts (particularly those prior to late 2012) may not reflect my current views.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Eventually there should only be an Orthodox Church in/of Britain made up of all those who are Orthodox and are in Britain. It would draw from a wide range of cultural influences.

Father, isn't that essentially what the British Orthodox Church is, albeit under the jurisdictional supervision of Alexandria? Granted, other Brits and folks attend their various jurisdictional parishes, but in premise, isn't the BOC supposed to function like the OCA, as a British diocese so to speak?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »

The BOC is supposed to be a diocese especially working with non-Egyptians, but this can only be temporary (maybe hundreds of years temporary!).

There should be one Synod in the UK, the Coptic bishops should have fixed dioceses, and the other single bishop Churches should temporarily cover the whole country as the BOC does and as they presently do. This single Synod should work hard to establish a real sense of being one Church, among both clergy and laity, so that in due course the one Synod is able to establish a multi-cultural Church in the UK with one bishop in one area, and different ethnic backgrounds represented in each congregation, with varying balances and proportions.

A single Synod would be a start. I don't know how long the rest might take.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

It seems like you are engaging in a form of selective cultural iconoclasm by rejecting Chinese art form and style for icons and demanding that Chinese adopt the Greek style of art to portray Christ and the Mother of God.

I'll ask that simple question again, Stanley: Was Jesus Christ or His mother Chinese?
Our Divine Lord came for all men, not just the Jews. The Greek style icon is beautiful and inspiring, of course, and it has brought millions of souls to reflection on the mysteries and truths of Christianity, but it seems a bit harsh on the Chinese to deny them an artistic license in their depiction of the Holy Family.

He came for all men, but He didn't come as all men. How is it 'harsh' to the Chinese to tell them the fact that he was a Middle-Eastern Jew--not Chinese, not sub-saharan African, not a blonde Scandanavian, and not a white American. What is it about the actual person of Jesus Christ that you find so objectionable?

Everyone knows that Jesus was born in Kyiv (i.e. the south-central-western subsection of Kyiv previously known as Bethlehem) and spoke Ukrainian.  If you don't believe this you are a Russian propagandist heretic...    Tongue     Wink

Yes Father, but my UGCC friends say it was really a suburb of L'viv!  Smiley

Of course, because, according to their claims, the original texts were interpolated and L'viv changed to Kyiv, as evidenced from the erase marks.   Of course, their supposed "older texts" are also suspect, as "L'viv" is in Cyrillic and the rest of the text in Glagolithic   laugh
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »

Good point.  I forgot to mention that after emigration from Scandenavia they resided in Kyiv where she was baptized before they immigrated to the Holy Land. 

The priest who baptised her was under the EP though.

Some claim he was Kyiv Patriarchate, but I think that the fact that his last name was Honcharenko proves he was EP. 
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »

Does that mean the priest was new calendar!?

Life has lost all meaning...

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

OO Icons are turrible.

<-- Only I have the real authentic image of what Christ looks like.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: OO icons 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: