OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 11:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a 'Molieben' Service Like?  (Read 958 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »

Well, this thursday night my Church is having a Molieben service for people struggling with addictions and people who have family members struggling with addictions, and, I wanted to invite my father to one since he's been struggling with some addictions and I thought it might be a good opportunity to share Orthodoxy with him on a deeper level.

The only thing is, I have never been to one of these services, therefore, I really do not know anything about what it is like, how it runs, and what everything symbolizes. I kind of wanted to know these things before I take my father, that way if he has questions I can answer them for him instead of not knowing. So, I was wondering if anyone here could shed any knowledge on them. What are they like? What should I expect? etc.

Oh, and if it means anything, my Church is OCA; I'm not sure if the different jurisdictions do them differently. But what does the OCA molieben service go like?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:04 PM »

Well, this thursday night my Church is having a Molieben service for people struggling with addictions and people who have family members struggling with addictions, and, I wanted to invite my father to one since he's been struggling with some addictions and I thought it might be a good opportunity to share Orthodoxy with him on a deeper level.

The only thing is, I have never been to one of these services, therefore, I really do not know anything about what it is like, how it runs, and what everything symbolizes. I kind of wanted to know these things before I take my father, that way if he has questions I can answer them for him instead of not knowing. So, I was wondering if anyone here could shed any knowledge on them. What are they like? What should I expect? etc.

Oh, and if it means anything, my Church is OCA; I'm not sure if the different jurisdictions do them differently. But what does the OCA molieben service go like?

My guess is that you'll be using the Service of Intercession for those suffering from alcohol or drug dependency, put out by ROCOR.  If so, it starts off with "Blessed is our God..." and then the Trisagion and several Lord have mercies, then Psalm 26 and the Great Litany, followed by a troparion and prokemenon, then I Corinthians 3:11-17, or Ephesians 2:4-10, then Alleluia and Luke 8:26-39, then an augmented litany followed by a few prayers and dismissal, or so says my copy.  So, in short, it will be a bit like the first half of a liturgy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »

The Moleben is simply a service of intercession which can take any of a number of forms, for various occasions and needs. It is paraliturgical, so is served in the nave and not the altar. Molebens for various needs are to be found in the Book of Needs and other, separate publications.

However, that most commonly served to seek the prayers of the saints, whether on pilgrimage or in parishes, is the General Moleben, which is drawn in part from elements of the service of Matins, supplemented by hymns and prayers which help to foster devotion to to the particular saint being honoured.  This is commonly served on pilgrimages to holy shrines and wells associated with the saints.

The Cross-procession at the end of the Liturgy at parish patronal feasts is a Moleben, prayed in procession.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »

An afterthought: why not look up "Moleben" on YouTube?

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »

There is an English translation of Sokoloff's textbook on the web some where that is very useful for basic definitions.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

An afterthought: why not look up "Moleben" on YouTube?

Here you go. Click the link and the first three things that show up are parts of a molieben service. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »

Here are excerpts from a Moleben held yesterday, June 19t at St. George Orthodox Church, Taylor, PA.

Sorry for the poor video...

Fr. Grigorios Tatsis, candidate for Ruling Bishop, is introduced to the clergy and laity of ACROD at St. George Orthodox Church, Taylor, PA on June 19, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2l7YKpo3g

Also photos of the event: http://www.acrod.org/multimedia/photos?setID=72157630207335712
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »

Corrected link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvJ0wesaWo&list=UUxUNL7NYaIegagxPUfY0Y2A&index=1&feature=plcp
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:03:36 AM »

Is there something about being Orthodox which compels us to take footage of events using an abacus?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

Is there something about being Orthodox which compels us to take footage of events using an abacus?

Like I said, sorry about the video...I didn't realize it was set on the economy setting until after Church.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »

Like I said, sorry about the video...I didn't realize it was set on the economy setting until after Church.

Haha, don't be sorry, PK!

You must agree that a high proportion of our showings on youtube are of not the highest video quality, yes?

Apologies if it appeared I was taking a stab. Glory to God for that full church!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »

Haha, don't be sorry, PK!

You must agree that a high proportion of our showings on youtube are of not the highest video quality, yes?

Apologies if it appeared I was taking a stab. Glory to God for that full church!

It's funny, but the best quality videos online seem to come from the former USSR - the ones from the Russian Patriarchate in Moscow and the Eastern Catholic ones from Muchachevo in western Ukraine. Go figure.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

Try some audio in Polish, Belarusian and Church Slavonic:
http://www.orthodoxia.pl/?p=7&cat=5&details=380&_s=1
http://www.orthodoxia.pl/?p=7&cat=5&details=718&_s=1
http://www.orthodoxia.pl/?p=7&cat=5&details=550&_s=1
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:26:55 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches