OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:24:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very interesting  (Read 636 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: June 11, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »

I found this youtube channel. I think it's some kind of organization who are trying to reconstruct medieval western liturgical rites  Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/user/MedievalLiturgy/videos

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »

For me that's interesting thing about the way they're bowing - almost like Orthodox.  So maybe Roman Catholics after medieval times have changed the way of the bowing that now they do genuflection or lie on the ground in the form of the cross. And that is a sacred area only for priests and their servants like in today's Orthodox churches. I've read somewhere that in miedieval times they had a kind of curtain, similar to Armenian or Syriac one.

But I doubt that they're really praying; for me it's more like a play...

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

yes the genuflecting was practiced by knights who used to bow before the king, they only went down on one knee so they could easily access their sword and lunge forward if need be.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

I miss genuflecting.  Smiley And the little holy water stoups.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »

For me that's interesting thing about the way they're bowing - almost like Orthodox.  So maybe Roman Catholics after medieval times have changed the way of the bowing that now they do genuflection or lie on the ground in the form of the cross. And that is a sacred area only for priests and their servants like in today's Orthodox churches. I've read somewhere that in miedieval times they had a kind of curtain, similar to Armenian or Syriac one.

But I doubt that they're really praying; for me it's more like a play...

Dominican Fathers, Brothers, Nuns, and Sisters do not make the genuflection as do other Latin-rite Catholics. Instead they make a low bow (like our metania) without making the Sign of the Cross as do the Orthodox.

p.s. I was in a Dominican convent for three years. I left when they started listening to the late Father Thomas Merton and were into the study of Eastern meditations (Buddhism).

Interestingly, there were two Dominican missions to the Orthodox World: one in Constantinople and the other in the country of Georgia. It was not very long before both priories became Orthodox Christians and were then known as the "white" monastics. St. Seraphim of Sarov also wore white monastic garments and prayed in a way similar to the Dominican Rosary.

Some Western Rite parishes in Orthodoxy have an adapted Rosary, don't they?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:13:24 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

Instead they make a low bow (like our metania) without making the Sign of the Cross as do the Orthodox.
Really? I always make the Sign of the Cross when I am bowing.

You're correct.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

Instead they make a low bow (like our metania) without making the Sign of the Cross as do the Orthodox.

You're correct.

It has been a while since I have visited a Dominican church, quite a while in fact.

Were you a Dominican?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »

You're correct.

It has been a while since I have visited a Dominican church, quite a while in fact.

Were you a Dominican?
No, a lutheran. There are almost no catholic monks left in Denmark. Only a few franciscans. But I have always enjoyed visiting churches when I have found myself in catholic countries.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Dominican Fathers, Brothers, Nuns, and Sisters do not make the genuflection as do other Latin-rite Catholics. Instead they make a low bow (like our metania) without making the Sign of the Cross as do the Orthodox.

p.s. I was in a Dominican convent for three years. I left when they started listening to the late Father Thomas Merton and were into the study of Eastern meditations (Buddhism).

Interestingly, there were two Dominican missions to the Orthodox World: one in Constantinople and the other in the country of Georgia. It was not very long before both priories became Orthodox Christians and were then known as the "white" monastics. St. Seraphim of Sarov also wore white monastic garments and prayed in a way similar to the Dominican Rosary.

Wow, thank you for the knowledge! I'm interested in the liturgies, but haven't known all these things! Wink
Unfortunately, in Poland Dominicans practically have lost their own rite; they prefer a new liturgical forms to evangelize young people. Only sometimes, but in Novus Ordo, they use older liturgical chants and Orthodox icons.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:53:51 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: