OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRO Have It Easy  (Read 945 times) Average Rating: 0
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »

Years ago when I was working on my Alpha-Omega medal for Boy Scouts, I had to bake a prosphora using Mom's recipe (which she received from Yiayia). No big deal, right? But, Western Rite, whom I love and admire deeply, don't have to worry about baking their church bread. They're able to buy their wafers online. Lucky.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »

Question: what is the prescribed response if someone should by accident burn the prosphora and for some reason not be able to make another one?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »

Years ago when I was working on my Alpha-Omega medal for Boy Scouts, I had to bake a prosphora using Mom's recipe (which she received from Yiayia). No big deal, right? But, Western Rite, whom I love and admire deeply, don't have to worry about baking their church bread. They're able to buy their wafers online. Lucky.

If you love and admire them deeply, then why are you mocking them using a "product" that they are clearly not using??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »

Question: what is the prescribed response if someone should by accident burn the prosphora and for some reason not be able to make another one?

Most, if not all, Orthodox parishes have a person, or more than one, whose job it is to bake prosphora. Very often, these are made in advance and frozen, then thawed before use. This is particularly the case in Slavic churches which use small-sized loaves. The chances of a church being "caught short" are pretty remote.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »

"Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!!"

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »

Most, if not all, Orthodox parishes have a person, or more than one, whose job it is to bake prosphora. Very often, these are made in advance and frozen, then thawed before use. This is particularly the case in Slavic churches which use small-sized loaves. The chances of a church being "caught short" are pretty remote.

Good to know.   Smiley
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:16:59 AM »

If you love and admire them deeply, then why are you mocking them using a "product" that they are clearly not using??
I'm not at all mocking them, I'm mocking the single-shot, Eucharist-On-The-Go used by the Protestants. WRO have the right understanding of Communion Wafers; the linked website does not.

In my experience, it's usually a rotation of various people, typically women, that do it. However, in the larger parishes, they might have bakers that attend so they take up the job themselves.

When I was growing up, I attended a multi-ethnic/convert OCA parish, so it was pretty cool being an altar boy and seeing various prosphora recipes.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »

Not all WRO do the same thing. It is very possible to bake your own Western leavened wafers.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: Western Rite  wafer  grape juice  prosphora 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: