OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online references for Alexandrian Biblical exegesis?  (Read 454 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »

So, as all y'all know I've recently learned the differences between Antiochene vs. Alexandrian Biblical exegesis.  I find the Alexandrian method incredibly interesting and would like to know more.  Do any of you educated types know where I can find something online.  A quick search didn't seem to yield much... Thanks a million!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »

St. Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses is a classic example of this exegetical style. Here's an essay discussing some aspects of it: http://monachos.net/content/patristics/studies-fathers/60-gregory-of-nyssa-luminous-darkness

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »

Do have any more precise ideas of what you are looking for, Gabriel? I agree that this is an extremely interesting topic, though it is a question of how deeply you want to go, I suppose. Check out this article from Revue de L'Histoire des Religions for what some French academic has to say about the Alexandrian tradition. Smiley (That's one of the first results I found that wasn't a $100 e-book or $200 print book from Amazon. I'll keep looking.)

Then you can compare that with what the Coptic Church Network repository of Coptic writings has to say about it, if you wish. (I believe the section at this link is taken from one of Fr. Tadros Malaty's books on the School of Alexandria.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:04:51 PM by dzheremi » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »

Thanks, fellas.  All three references were great (in fact, I had forgotten I own St. Gregory of Nyssa's Moses).  I wonder though, which school of thought is more prevalent, or accepted, within Eastern Orthodoxy? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »

Thanks, fellas.  All three references were great (in fact, I had forgotten I own St. Gregory of Nyssa's Moses).  I wonder though, which school of thought is more prevalent, or accepted, within Eastern Orthodoxy? 

Long story short: both are incorporated along with other interpretive methods, but with typology playing a central role as far I can tell in terms of its role it plays in early exegesis and popular interpretation within homilies and the like. (If you can actually argue for a distinction between typology and allegory.)

If you want a single volume introduction to hermeneutics (something close to my heart) within the Orthodox tradition, I cannot more highly recommend:

Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church - Fr. John Breck

http://www.amazon.com/Scripture-Tradition-Interpretation-Orthodox-Church/dp/0881412260

Hermeneutics is understanding within the scope of the entirety of Tradition and living practice and Fr. John does a tremendous job of doing the impossible in attempting to give an account of how this happens with Eastern Orthodoxy. People can always complain about any attempt to cover such a vast subject within a single volume by a single author, but I doubt many on this board would steer you away from this text.

It is probably available from your library.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »

^^Thanks, friend.  I've always wanted to read this and now I have more reason to.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: