OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:16:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Righteous Gentiles?  (Read 540 times) Average Rating: 0
NightOwl
High Elder

« on: June 10, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »

Christ describes in the Gospels how in the end times, people outside the Church "will hate one another" and "the love of many will grow cold." Contrary to this, with rising secularism we've witnessed increased tolerance and humanitarianism in liberal churches. How can we reconcile this apparent contradiction?
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »

Maybe(and this is a maybe) we are not in the end times.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

But considering the trend I mentioned it's counterintuitive. As Christianity loses influence we should be seeing more hatred and intolerance, not less, even if we're not yet in the "end times."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:31:56 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »

But considering the trend I mentioned it's counterintuitive. As Christianity loses influence we should be seeing more hatred and intolerance, not less, even if we're not yet in the "end times."

I wouldn't say so necessarily. Christianity might be losing influence but the culture and mindset in the western world is still based largely on the christian faith.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »

I wouldn't say so necessarily. Christianity might be losing influence but the culture and mindset in the western world is still based largely on the christian faith.

Even so, that would seem to be a victory for liberal Christianity. But maybe there is a lag and the worst is yet to come? Sure there is more profligacy and spiritual isolation but I can't see society ripping itself apart at this point.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:54:13 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

But maybe there is a lag and the worst is yet to come?

Maybe

Sure there is more profligacy and spiritual isolation but I can't see society ripping itself apart at this point.
I agree. The World have been in much deeper trouble than it is now.

-St Silouan the athonite
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »

Christ describes in the Gospels how in the end times, people outside the Church "will hate one another" and "the love of many will grow cold." Contrary to this, with rising secularism we've witnessed increased tolerance and humanitarianism in liberal churches. How can we reconcile this apparent contradiction?
We just finished a century that contained the most genocide and bloodshed in human history. That's a lot of hate and coldness.

I'd say some tolerant attitudes by the episcopalians aren't enough to brush all that aside.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »

The all-inclusiveness of liberal Christianity that tells people it's all right to live as they desire and pay no attention to the ideas of sin or asceticism because truth is their own and no one else can dictate it to them is, in my opinion, hardly the true Christian love of the Gospel.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

Tolerance is just hate without assault.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »

The all-inclusiveness of liberal Christianity that tells people it's all right to live as they desire and pay no attention to the ideas of sin or asceticism because truth is their own and no one else can dictate it to them is, in my opinion, hardly the true Christian love of the Gospel.

Thank you, this is what I needed. Although it's still a ways off from the hatred alluded to by Christ.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: